Sign in to follow this  
Merc4Hire

The Vengeful Ranger Ch. 1 - Ruins of Erendir

Ch. 2 - Growing Threats

It was a cold night, the kind thats perfect for a burning hearth and warm food. But Aravorn had neither. For he had been traveling along side the Rakath Mountains for three days, which was no easy task, especially by Nocturnian Standards. Had Aravorn been a lesser Ranger, he might not have survived. And even so it would not have stopped him, for he had not been wandering aimlessly.

"The great halls of Erendir. A once glistening kingdom of shining knights and glory. Now just crumbling ruins", Aravorn thought to himself. Over time, Erendir had become children stories told for generations, tales that Aravorn knew well. "The irony still stings doesn't it father. To think we would end the same", Aravorn continued as he quietly reminisced in the still silence. Until he heard a large gathering of footsteps.

ruins_story_shot_1_800.jpg

"You look lost stranger hehe" The pack of Orc's chuckled as they revealed themselves from amidst the ruins. "This is not a safe place to be, especially for a human. Especially for a human alone." The orc's began to slowly move in closer, surrounding Aravorn.

"I was looking for someone actually. Perhaps you can help me. They were a couple of Orc's. About your height and weight. Smelled just as bad too", he remarked as he noticed one of the Orcs tightening his grip around his ax.

"Oh we can help you traveler hehe. In fact, I think they might be closer than you think argh!"

ruins_story_shot_2_800.jpg

The Orc lunged himself towards Aravorn. But Aravorn was already much too prepared. He quickly drew his great sword and blocked the orc's ax and so suddenly that it ricocheted off his blade. And in that split moment, Aravorn swiftly sliced the orc's head from his shoulders. 

ruins_story_shot_3_800.jpg

"That swordsmanship. He's no traveler, Its a ranger!" The Orc shouted. "What's a ranger doing he!?", but before he could finish, Aravorn struck down the surrounding Orcs, making quick work of the pack. He was tempted to finish them off at once, but he needed answers and so killed all but one.  

ruins_story_shot_4_800.jpg

"W-wait! Please, spare me oh wise and noble young master. I am but a lowly humble orc." The Orc groveled. But Aravorn knew better than to trust an Orc's pleas. 

"A lowly humble Orc? Do not test me. I know who you are, Thruk the Fiendish. You are no feeble creature", he remarked as he pressed his sword against the Orc's neck. "During the war, you served the Black Spire. You served the one named Lord Osiris. Tell me where he is or I will slay you here and now", Aravorn threatened. 

"I-I don't know! We never met him", Thruk cried out. 

"Do not lie to me", he replied, restraining himself from stabbing the Orc.  

"N-no it's true! We only knew him by name. We were recruited by one of his emissaries. Pharan, I-I think was his name. He was in charge of guarding supply routes through the Siccus Badlands. Maybe you'll find Osiris there". The sword grew dangerously closer, choking the already struggling to breathe Orc. "I-I swear t-that's a-all I k-know."

Aravorn could not find himself to trust in Thruk but he was desperate for a lead. if he ever had a chance of finding Osiris, he was going to have to find Pharan first, or so he thought. Thruk, however, had now outlived his use. 

"I'll send him your regards". He finished off the Orc in a swift strike, granting Thruk his relief.

"The Siccus Badlands", he said unto himself, looking over to the now dawning horizon. "I'm going to need a horse". 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I finally got around to building something for Nocturnus. I decided to start off with a new sig-fig(Aravorn) and make my old sig-fig(Lord Osiris) the villain. As for the build, I took a bit of freedom from the traditional look of Castle ruins and experimented with a more blocky style of stonework. Overall, a small simple build and not my best work but I thought it made a decent introduction for my character. 

So tell me what you guys think and thanks for viewing :classic:

Also, credit to 11inthewoods for the torso and leg combo on Aravorn. 

Edited by Merc4Hire

A very nice fig, and the build is nice as well. I'm especially loving the colour scheme, with the dark red and oranges :wub: 

Good to see you're back to building for the Guilds!

Love that archway and the ruins, mate, just the perfect texture and mix in of studs! :thumbup:  The tree and orange in the landscaping are excellent additions as well, and really help get the Nocty feel across.  Great job all around, looking forward to where this story goes! :classic:

12 hours ago, TitusV said:

A very nice fig, and the build is nice as well. I'm especially loving the colour scheme, with the dark red and oranges :wub: 

Good to see you're back to building for the Guilds!

Thanks a ton Titus! I don't normally get to use red and orange colors so I'm glad to hear I found a good balance in this build. And glad to be back building for the Guilds as well :classic: 

11 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Love that archway and the ruins, mate, just the perfect texture and mix in of studs! :thumbup:  The tree and orange in the landscaping are excellent additions as well, and really help get the Nocty feel across.  Great job all around, looking forward to where this story goes! :classic:

Thank you Garmadon for the kind comment! :classic: I tried my best to capture that dark-lands look of Nocturnus, so happy to know the red and orange did the trick.

Thanks a bunch guys for the kind feedback, I really appreciate it!  

Edited by Merc4Hire

Very nice looking stonework! I like the fresh approach to it; the blocky style is a welcome break to what we normally see from most builders (myself included). The colors are those of autumn, of decaying and dying leaves, so they work quite well for the Nocturnian setting, as others have mentioned. The portal/archway is my favorite part of this, though, with the well-executed angles. Your balance between studs and smooth is also pleasingly done. Good job!

I agree with HQ, the archway is my favorite part as well :thumbup:

The build as a whole is very well done though. I can't wait to see what your new character does in the future :classic:

Man I am diggin this blocky stonework, it works really well as ruins and is a nice change from the usual. Not only that but the colours are great too :thumbup:

Edited by The Maestro