Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[WTC minichallenge 1] Shadows on the Crown

"As you guessed, Tristan, I'm in serious troubles" replied the Varcoastan consul. "I'll go straight to the point: somebody is organizing a conspiracy to seize power in Varcoast, murder our king and the ones loyal to him (among which me), strenghten his position with a great victory aganist Oleon and create his own empire, whatever the consequences for my country and for the peace in the New World."
"Uhm, this could indeed be a problem! First of all, are you absolutely sure about that?"
"Unfortunately, I am. What we know cost the life of the man we could infiltrate and of two of my best agents, found with their throat cut..."

36086063273_429a6d740f_z.jpg

"...As you know, King Friedrich of Varcoast is becoming old and, since he doesn't have a direct heir, the crown will be inherited by his cousin Wilhelm. Nothing of too unusual, but several men of the Court don't approve his foreign policy ideas." Continued Alexander.

"His wife is an Oleander noblewoman, and he is a personal friend of King Philip, isn't he?"

"Exactly. Moreover, our current Prime Minister, head of the anti-Oleander fringe, and Wilhelm despise each other and, as soon as the latter will become king, the former woud be immediately fired."

36570930383_23d1405d18_z.jpg

"Since the Prime Minister, Ludwig von Altenburg, is King's Friedrich most trusted man, and has always been completely loyal to the Crown, he is considered above any suspicion; his power and his ambition, however, have enormously grown, and he will never accept to lose his position." 

"Even if it entails a coup d'ètat?"

37382909775_3b98885825_z.jpg

"There's no doubt about that. We discovered that he has become the leader of a group of officers, noblemen and rich merchants, who will probably receive money and estates, but only crumbles of real power, assuming that rattlesnake will not execute them for treason after he takes the power. According to our infiltrate, their plan is to assassinate king Friedrich and accuse Wilhelm and the Oleander government of the murder."

"Clever move, since we would obiouvsly intervene. Anyway, this would be a complete suicide: Varcoastan army is at most a third of Oleander one, not to mention better weapons, artillery and training: even if the Prime Minister had all the soldiers and officers on his side, and I doubt about that, in a couple of months we woud break your army and enter your capital city... sorry for my frankness!"

"No problem. They would have a chance only dividing your army, with groups of Marderians deserters or something like that, absolutely not mercenaries paid by Varcoast attacking your colonies, and only later deploying Varcoastan regular troops, reinforced by volunteers, where and when they could win."

36570956733_19272b80d8_z.jpg

"But even so they could at most win the first battle! And knowing their plans we could ignore their diversion, temporarily lose an island or two and directly invade Varcoast... sorry again for my frankness, but your army would be annihilated!"

Father Costantinus, silent until that moment, replied: "Your analysis is correct, monsieur Rimbaud, but what would happen if Corrington supported our enemies? We could only defend ourselves, but surely not attack at ease."

"Of course this would turn the table! But what would justify that course of action of the Corries? Our relations are normalising, and we would intervene to defend ourselves and to restore the legitimate government, surely not to conquer Varcoast! What would lead them to an act of aggression?"

"For example, the explosion of a Corlander ship with most of its crew..."

Spoiler

Just to be clear... in the background, King Friedrich and his guards; in the foreground, the conspirators, led by the Prime Minister Ludwig von Altenburg

37382895215_dee926c594_z.jpg

Without minifigs

37211196242_74b2f63299_z.jpg

N.B. Before part 2 is published:
no Corlander will be involved in treasons, plots or other unpleasant things; no Corlander will be hurt, except the ones disintegrated with the Wolf's Blood :pir-grin:

Wow! Fantastic build and story Keymous! Each room is really well done. I like your posing for the figures as well, but that's probably my bias towards people who post stories in a similar style to me. I'm curious why the Varcoastians would just have a crystal skull lying around though :grin:

Also, I'm totally forgot you were using Varcoast. I just decided to use a Varcoastian in my story, but I was thinking Varcoast was analogous to Russia, so I gave him a russian accent. 

46 minutes ago, Keymonus said:

no Corlander will be involved in treasons, plots or other unpleasant things; no Corlander will be hurt, except the ones disintegrated with the Wolf's Blood :pir-grin:

You are free to have Count Mesabi, or any of my other characters involved in treasonous actions. Feel free to PM me if you wish to do so. 

Edited by Mesabi

A lovely little scene packed with details and great minifigs. Good to see one of the lesser NPC nations being fleshed out a bit. It will be interesting to see where this story goes!

The vignettes are really well made and I like how you have posed the characters to tell the story. Most of all, though, I am looking forward to seeing where this goes! I wonder if Varcoast will blow up in revolution and civil war! :pir-oh:

Excellent vignettes, and a great story. I like the variety of the minifigs. And as mentioned above, nice job adding some detail to an NPC nation in the game. This is easily one of my favorite entries in this mini-challenge. :thumbup:

Neat interiors, I like the furnitures, great selection of minifigures.

Story wise, we'd better mobilize our troops, to prepare for the worst.

Sorry for the great delay, in this period I’m very busy! Thank everyone for your kind comments, I’m glad you appreciate my stories!

Soon I’ll post the next part as a freebuild, I built it weeks ago but still miss the story: it will show the end of the Wolf’s Blood... :pir-skel: