heyitsdisty

[TC12] The Crimson Demolition-Mobile (with Video)

UPDATE 12/10/17: Here's the video:

UPDATE 9/10/17: Here's some pics of the completed model!

The Crimson Demolition-Mobile

The Crimson Demolition-Mobile

After buying some bigger wheels and a set of L-motors, it turned out simply changing the batteries got the steering working... >_>

Video coming soon!

Spoiler

So, my entry is actually pretty much done... except the skid steering sucks. It barely works on smooth floors, and on carpet the motors just stall completely. The motors also seem to struggle a little when accelerating. If anyone here can help me fix these probelms, I'll be very appreciative!

Here's a digital sketch of the basic chassis, minus a few supporting beams and a set of PF lights. I wondered if the lights were sapping the power available to the wheels, but it turns out the steering is just as bad when they're turned off. I've tried to position the heaviest elements near the back in the hope that the tipping effect would help the car turn, but to no avail. (As far as I'm aware, both receivers are v1 models.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, initially each drivetrain had five 24-tooth gears instead of 3, driving both wheels on each side - however this was even worse when it came to steering!

wip

Pictures of the full creation coming soon!

Edited by heyitsdisty

I think that you'll find it steers as expected once you pull the rubber tires off of the rims. 

The problem with skid steering is that for it to work, the wheels or belts usually, will have to slide across the ground. 

The reason you find it more difficult to work on smooth floors is because of increased friction compared to a carpet floor.

Agree with Carsten Svendsen. In addition, in my opinion the M motors are good for speed but not for high force, you probably should insert a gear reduction but your vehicle will be slower.

I'm curious about the XL motor placed vertically, is it part of the wacky function ?

Nice work, it's great to see a different style of steering, even it it's not quite perfect...

7 hours ago, heyitsdisty said:

I wondered if the lights were sapping the power available to the wheels

The LED lights are as light as a feather compared to even one motor! Like @Carsten Svendsen said, your main problem is too much traction.

3 hours ago, Superkoala said:

Agree with Carsten Svendsen. In addition, in my opinion the M motors are good for speed but not for high force, you probably should insert a gear reduction but your vehicle will be slower.

I'm curious about the XL motor placed vertically, is it part of the wacky function ?

Would switching to L motors for the drive help?

It is indeed part of the wacky function. ;) The XL motor is probably overkill for the function, but I only have the three motors in my collection. All will be revealed soon!

make your own tires out of tank treads maybe, less grip so they can move sideways more easily, also: more wacky wheels that way!

Nice! This was one of my first ideas too. I love the simplistic inside, but the complex exterior.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:04 AM, heyitsdisty said:

Here's some pics of the completed model!

Wow, you've made a lot of progress since your last update! And it looks great!

Do the springs compress due to centrifugal force when your turret rotates?
I like this detail :) (the rest of the vehicle is great too, off course) 

What parts are the red wheel covers and corrugated cyclinders, never seen them before ? 

13 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

What parts are the red wheel covers and corrugated cyclinders, never seen them before ? 

They come from Bionicle or other buildable figures/creatures series.

I've updated the original post with the completed video!

@Doug72 The side panels are Hero Factory chest armour pieces that later appeared in Bionicle and other constraction sets (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=90652&idColor=5#T=S&C=5&O={"color":5}) and the pumps are from Bionicle dart launchers (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=61810&idColor=5#T=S&C=5&O={"color":5})

@HorcikDesigns Sadly the springs are just for show. ;)

Edited by heyitsdisty

6 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

That won't whack anyone of the track how high the arm is...

Haha, c'mon man, that's like saying that the Ion canons won't blast anyone off the track because its just rubber hose, or the washing machine ride won't actually Make anyone sick because they will enjoy it too much.

this thing looks great, swings  well and turns awesome. Could be a real set.

That's brilliant, I love all the side cowling and the neat colour scheme. I also like the fact it's almost wider than it is long, it makes it look highly maneuverable, well done.

5 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Haha, c'mon man, that's like saying that the Ion canons won't blast anyone off the track because its just rubber hose, or the washing machine ride won't actually Make anyone sick because they will enjoy it too much.

I meant it as a joke yes, and not to offend the Op, like you said, my cannons won't do anything either. No offense please.

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, heyitsdisty said:

I've updated the original post with the completed video!

Wow, that arm swings fast! I think the other drivers will be so terrified by it, that they won't even want to race! :laugh:

On 13/10/2017 at 1:14 PM, Aventador2004 said:

I meant it as a joke yes, and not to offend the Op, like you said, my cannons won't do anything either. No offense please.

Don't worry, none taken! :D

On 14/10/2017 at 6:52 AM, mocbuild101 said:

Wow, that arm swings fast! I think the other drivers will be so terrified by it, that they won't even want to race! :laugh:

The video doesn't even show it running at full speed! Any faster than that though and the whole crane assembly tends to pull itself out of the motor's axle hole... :S

Thanks everyone for the kind reviews!

My final thoughts:

+ crazy spinning arm, working lights, red color scheme is very nice.

- arm can't spin at full speed. (which I would have really liked to see)

Good luck! :wink: