ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

1 hour ago, Vouatch said:

:laugh: good luck lol ... 49 in the falcon... that will be hard to find lol Mine was tan I think

take a look at 677 step for exemple on the plan procedure

the one at 701 / 713 / 968 / 977 also, it's possible to forgot them and it works without

others are really necessary

so only 5 places to check, hope that will help you

@Onecrazy95civic give feedback if you find

Made a mistake was a 2 x 3 light gray plate.

1 hour ago, Onecrazy95civic said:

Made a mistake was a 2 x 3 light gray plate.

Could it be the cover of the under-floor smuggling compartment in the engine room (the 'kiss' room - where the hyperdrive lives)?

Now that i no longer own this MF, i am selling all the translight blue pieces to mod the engine. If someone is looking for them, please let me know

Here's another idea I've been working on for the docking rings.  The idea developed from the docking rings on Flickr user Flutdisque's Millennium Falcon moc that I posted about previously, and the initial concepts based upon it by @Vouatch.  It utilises the large Technic chain link part (Bricklink part no. bb0076 - which seems to have ceased production in 1981!)  I figured out a way to make the wall of the docking ring sloped, and have incorporated my design for the internal detail based on four 4x4 round corner plates, with some additional tweaks.  The photos are all Studio renders, as I don't actually have the parts to build it!  I've struck a problem with it that I can't seem to solve, and am hoping you creative people might have some ideas!

First, the details of the outer wall construction:

50816957162_e2e1b8de1c.jpgNew_Docking_ring_9 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

50816957277_dd7b18369a.jpgNew_Docking_ring_8 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

50816859041_e5ea2e4597.jpgNew_Docking_ring_7 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

50816859101_b01f571a7a.jpgNew_Docking_ring_6 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

Complete with internal structure:

50816957147_0dae4ec6bc_z.jpgNew_Docking_ring_v2_6 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

Profile shot:

50816115873_bcaec8fc6a.jpgNew_Docking_ring_5 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

And of course the obligatory comparison shot:

50817019941_0df61a33bf_c.jpgIMG_0319 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

This is what the underside looks like:

50816115888_e90d587bc1_z.jpgNew_Docking_ring_v2_5 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

which is where the problem arises.  The connection to the ship is via the internal structure, but I can't figure out how to connect the outer structure to the internals.  I thought I had an obvious solution, replacing a couple of the 1x2 tiles with 1x2 - 2x2 brackets, like so:

50816859081_d42d189c1b_z.jpgNew_Docking_ring_v2_3 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

but you will see the problem once the 4x4 round corner plates (or in this case, 4x8 round corner double plates) are added: 

50816859031_ac561cb620_z.jpgNew_Docking_ring_v2_4 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

Anyway, happy for any and all thoughts and suggestions, and of course feel free to use the designs if you want.

Edited by Neophyte_brickie

@Vouatch Wow, your front module is wonderful. I especially love the "front engine", like a car. :)

The only reason I'm not building it is because the MF would become longer than my table. :(:

You're right, the ring is a bit smaller than original one:

IMG-1358.jpg

Maybe I could add another plate below the tiles, but I fear the gap will become bigger. Or maybe @Neophyte_brickie solution of his last experiment, as I see he also uses 10 sides. :)

The funny gear you posted seems interesting but we have to see if it's possible to put the tracks around it. :)

@Onecrazy95civic You can check this page. After the list of pieces required for the build they show a list of extra pieces:

https://postimg.cc/K1r0RJBF/467eb81d

8 hours ago, Lock said:

Maybe I could add another plate below the tiles, but I fear the gap will become bigger. Or maybe @Neophyte_brickie solution of his last experiment, as I see he also uses 10 sides. :)

The funny gear you posted seems interesting but we have to see if it's possible to put the tracks around it. :)

Your idea is a really ingenious use of the link treads to achieve a sloped docking ring wall.  I agree the diameter of the structure is just a little too small.  It was my dissatisfaction with the gaps between the outer tiles in the concepts that used 2x4 tiles for the outer walls that sparked the idea to use wedge plates underneath them.  Unfortunately it doesn't get rid of the gaps entirely, and I'm not entirely convinced that the overall look is right.  The other caveat I should mention is that I haven't really tested the size of my latest concept against the part of the ship it is meant to attach to - it's possible it might be too big. I posted it here not because I think I will adopt it myself, but to inject some novel ideas into the discussion - see if someone else wants to run with it and improve it.  It's been fun playing around with different ideas and solving the challenge of how the Marshal Banana docking ring is put together, but to be honest it's also eaten up too much of my time; I think I've gone far enough down the rabbit hole for now! 

11 hours ago, Neophyte_brickie said:

Your idea is a really ingenious use of the link treads to achieve a sloped docking ring wall.  I agree the diameter of the structure is just a little too small.  It was my dissatisfaction with the gaps between the outer tiles in the concepts that used 2x4 tiles for the outer walls that sparked the idea to use wedge plates underneath them.  Unfortunately it doesn't get rid of the gaps entirely, and I'm not entirely convinced that the overall look is right.  The other caveat I should mention is that I haven't really tested the size of my latest concept against the part of the ship it is meant to attach to - it's possible it might be too big. I posted it here not because I think I will adopt it myself, but to inject some novel ideas into the discussion - see if someone else wants to run with it and improve it.  It's been fun playing around with different ideas and solving the challenge of how the Marshal Banana docking ring is put together, but to be honest it's also eaten up too much of my time; I think I've gone far enough down the rabbit hole for now! 

Eh eh, I agree with you. Maybe there will never been a perfect solution for that and my bulldozer wants its pieces back, so I'm going to disassemble the test. :)

Btw, I love your last solution, but I fear it will be too big, as the internal round plate is already 8 studs large.

There are plenty of ideas on this thread about docking rings, so I'll keep following it in case someone will come out with a new solution. For the moment I'll stick with the original design. :)

On 1/9/2021 at 10:00 PM, Neophyte_brickie said:

but you will see the problem once the 4x4 round corner plates (or in this case, 4x8 round corner double plates) are added: 

50816859031_ac561cb620_z.jpgNew_Docking_ring_v2_4 by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

Anyway, happy for any and all thoughts and suggestions, and of course feel free to use the designs if you want.

It’s just occurred to me that the above problem is probably not fatal; I suspect the flexibility of the link chain, and the fact that the attachment points for the round corner plates are only at the two opposite points of the docking ring, might allow the gap to be eliminated. The trade-off would be that the docking ring would be forced into a slightly ovoid, rather than circular shape.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:25 PM, Lock said:

@Vouatch Wow, your front module is wonderful. I especially love the "front engine", like a car. :)

The only reason I'm not building it is because the MF would become longer than my table. :(:

IMG-1358.jpg

@Onecrazy95civic You can check this page. After the list of pieces required for the build they show a list of extra pieces:

https://postimg.cc/K1r0RJBF/467eb81d

Hello all!!!

My falcon is now 1m lenght and as i said by the past, it's now impossible for me to look on it without this escape module which gives a more impressive design, another play possibility... it would be like something is missing.

Try to create your own, it was very funny and it permits to talk more longer with friends around the MF.

I began to work on other options that we can found in Haynes manual, such as upper compartment and why not a little escape ship that is hidden in the left docking bay. But work has fully restarted in France and I'm missing time... I don't if or when I will success 

Here a picture from google:

NlIbxRB25yDK4_8yqDRgsDhmu8d8rDVb7OQDsENO

Compartments on left's page:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeQUu8ubJUVo7iCLF32gI

On 1/9/2021 at 1:00 PM, Neophyte_brickie said:

Damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's beautifull!

You're so close to original design, and with a different way!!! Congratulations!

For those that might be interested, I’ve created build instructions for the original Marshal Banana docking ring and my preferred mod of it that makes it a little closer in appearance to the actual movie prop; the links are below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz1a4bmbeu4wkpo/Docking Ring Marshal Banana.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hzblt2ntygjyoiu/Docking Ring MB Neophyte Brickie mod.pdf?dl=0

Each set of instructions includes a ‘bill of materials’ at the end (ie a parts manifest).  Note the instructions DO NOT include the 16 3x1 tiles that attach around the outside of the link tread ring, as this type of connection is not recognized in Studio.  Also note the bill of materials is for one docking ring - obviously you’ll need to double if you want to change both docking rings.

Also note there are slight modifications required to the hexagonal base construction to which the docking ring itself is attached - as detailed earlier in this thread.  The version I’ve made instructions for includes the additional 10x10 inverted radar dish in dark bluish grey; if you build this version, I recommend removing the 6 1x2 lbg tiles and the 2 3x4 modified tiles with 4 centre studs from the hexagonal base, so that the docking ring sits flush on the base.  If you don’t want to include the dbg 10x10 dish, you can leave the aforementioned tiles in situ and use a standard 2x2 brick (or 3 stacked 2x2 plates) to attach the docking ring to the hexagonal base.  Hope that’s clear.

On 12/6/2020 at 12:59 PM, Neophyte_brickie said:

As @eddmont has pointed out, the base to which the docking ring assembly is attached needs some slight modification:

50684864641_7f892e04ce_z.jpgUntitled by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

This amounts to swapping the position of the 4 modified 1x1 brick with clip and the attached dark bluish grey 1x1 plate - such that the 1x1 plate moves from above the 1x1 modified brick to below it.  

Reposting the above excerpt from a previous post to clarify the modifications to the structure to which the docking ring attaches.  You can clearly see the tiles that I talk about removing in my last post.  If you leave the tiles in place you need a 2x2 brick to attach to the underside of the Marshal Banana docking ring (as seen in the photo).  If you remove the tiles, you can just stack a couple of 2x2 plates and use that to attach the docking ring (as shown in my instructions linked in the previous post). 

Also note the adjustment to the position of the 1x1 brick with clip - otherwise the hose nozzles get in the way of the 10x10 inverted dish.

Edited by Neophyte_brickie

So I’ve finally decided to open my Falcon and get building. Something to break the boredom of working from home in a lockdown.

I’ve built @efferman’s stand and so far I’m at the end of #2 bags. I understand that I can mount the model at the end of #4 bags.

But I have a few Q’s I’m hoping people can answer.

can I mount the model either way round on the stand. I’d love the have the model pointing to the right due to where it will sit on the desk. Or does it end up with the cockpit resting on the ground (or too close for comfort)

is it obvious how / where to mount the model when I get to the end of #4? If not can someone give me some pointers/photos?

has anyone made up covers to reduce the holes left by the removal of the landing gear when mounting to this stand? 

thanks

40 minutes ago, Seasider said:

So I’ve finally decided to open my Falcon and get building. Something to break the boredom of working from home in a lockdown.

I’ve built @efferman’s stand and so far I’m at the end of #2 bags. I understand that I can mount the model at the end of #4 bags.

But I have a few Q’s I’m hoping people can answer.

can I mount the model either way round on the stand. I’d love the have the model pointing to the right due to where it will sit on the desk. Or does it end up with the cockpit resting on the ground (or too close for comfort)

is it obvious how / where to mount the model when I get to the end of #4? If not can someone give me some pointers/photos?

has anyone made up covers to reduce the holes left by the removal of the landing gear when mounting to this stand? 

thanks

Hi Seasider,  the falcon can be mounted either way.  I prefer it pointing to the left though as it makes the ramp more accessible.
Happy building.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:47 PM, Neophyte_brickie said:

It’s just occurred to me that the above problem is probably not fatal; I suspect the flexibility of the link chain, and the fact that the attachment points for the round corner plates are only at the two opposite points of the docking ring, might allow the gap to be eliminated. The trade-off would be that the docking ring would be forced into a slightly ovoid, rather than circular shape.

It's what I was thinking. :)

Do you have, by chance, the LDD or Stud.io project? I really like it and I'd like to study it a bit.

Not sure if that old chain can be still found on Bricklink at a decent price, thu. :)

20 hours ago, Lock said:

It's what I was thinking. :)

Do you have, by chance, the LDD or Stud.io project? I really like it and I'd like to study it a bit.

Not sure if that old chain can be still found on Bricklink at a decent price, thu. :)

I sure do - have fun with it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk1i5xmjx8d6ukc/New_Docking_ring_4.io?dl=0

Please note that the outer part of the docking ring and the inner part are not physically connected in this Studio file.

1 hour ago, Neophyte_brickie said:

I sure do - have fun with it:

Many thanks. :)

1 hour ago, Neophyte_brickie said:

Please note that the outer part of the docking ring and the inner part are not physically connected in this Studio file.

Yes, I guessed thatt. :)

I've done some more playing around in Stud.io, and can confirm that the docking ring design I came up with just fits on the docking ring base, but in all honesty I think it will look too big.  Certainly requires replacement of the modified bricks with clips, as there is no room for the 4 hose nozzles around the outside of the ring:

50940168243_7e7b5726ec_c.jpgUntitled by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

In the above photo I've tried to make the base plate roughly to the same scale as in the model, and you can see the docking ring is just enormous in comparison.

So I've redesigned the same concept as an 8-sided, rather than 10-sided, structure, which required reworking the internals as well:

50940168228_8702f1bb3d_c.jpgUntitled by Robert O'Sullivan, on Flickr

This brings the outer diameter of the docking ring down to approximately that of the Marshal Banana solution, which is only slightly larger than the stock standard docking ring on the original set.  The drawback of the design is that the gaps between the wedge plates in the docking ring wall are now larger, and the overall structure looks less round.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the Studio file for the 8 sided design:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsz1f7nmjuztno9/Docking_Ring_Novel_v3.io?dl=0

Incidentally, as far as I can tell studying the Studio models, I suspect the lack of attachment between the docking ring outer structure and the internals isn't really a problem - the link chain structure of the outer ring seems to get sandwiched fairly firmly in place between the internal structure and the base plate.

@Neophyte_brickie, I really appreciate you efforts and, despite being the 8 sides less appealing than 10 one, I like the great ideas you come out with, every time. :)

Unfortunately I still didn’t have time to open Stud.io and have a serious look at your projects (it’s a really busy time for me) but, among all the docking ring efforts (including the original one by Marshal Banana) I’ve seen so far, this is the one I’d like to apply to my Falcon, once we’ll finally find a definitive shape. :)

7 hours ago, muhkuh said:

Iam ordering the parts...:)

How easy / difficult is it?

I see warning in the description about old (rare) pieces.

The part about stressing bricks is what worry me the most, i think i’ll stay with my 75192. 

The fact that “This means that bricks will be bent and put under strong forces. Just be aware of that. Bricks might break” worries me the most.

2 hours ago, Lock said:

Well, 11.000 pieces, $ 2.000. It plays in another division.

Just using auto its around 1.4-1,6k

but gonna buy a used falcon witjout minifigs so i hope it gets cheaper

2 hours ago, tismabrick said:

The fact that “This means that bricks will be bent and put under strong forces. Just be aware of that. Bricks might break” worries me the most.

We will see:)

Edited by muhkuh