ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

Just now, LEGODrongo01 said:

Good to see someone finally replicated the Marshal docking rings. I posted about it a while ago in this thread and got no response. If I had money to spare then I would buy the pieces to make them, any idea how much it would cost?

If you load the file in Stud.io, you can upload the list on Bricklink and check for yourself the total price with shipping to the place you live. :)

Hello guys, here we go for a new MOD proposal, how to mechanized the right docking bay elevator with a new design close to movies... big challenge and it was so difficult to make it work that I think it could interest some of you.

First of all I reduce to 2 pin large the liftarms and add two others in the back to reproduce movie design, but I didn't try to reverse them as in the movie: some tuning to work certainly...

I don't really worked on design bridge with black way, future work.

DockingBay94.jpg

Now, let's go to realise a good mechanism that could left this elevator correctly. It was really hard and ask for some hours of test before working well!

Docking elevator1

Docking elevator2

Docking elevator3

An important point is to play between axle pins with friction and without. That gave me some difficulties before I understood my mistakes. Since I need to be helped by gravity, friction was working against me...

Another difficulty was also to make the liftarms vertically when elevator completely felt... many time to find good length of every arms and good attaching points for the 4 poles.

20201111_112842

Here you will see the different sequences and ... it's enjoying to see the movement

20201111_11285320201111_112907

I used as some other a discreet brick on the top panel to make it work, but I would maintain as much as possible original Lego design.

20201111_113022

20201111_113045

It ask many work to ensure right positionning of the technic screw and to thwart all the torques. I need also to put some pins (blue and black) in different places to force all different lift arms to go where I wanted...

20201111_091459

As you will see, even without the docking bay in place, when fully opened, we can't see any mechanism when viewed in front of the elevator...

20201111_091508

Hope you like it, and don't hesitate for any remarques or design improvement!

Edited by Vouatch

On 11/9/2020 at 12:37 AM, Vouatch said:

ok guys, I think I did it:

Hard to put all tiles around but it seems to work:

Bananas type6

Well, this is an unexpected development! Dammit, I can feel more mods coming on for my Falcon. 

5 hours ago, Vouatch said:

Hello guys, here we go for a new MOD proposal, how to mechanized the right docking bay elevator with a new design close to movies... big challenge and it was so difficult to make it work that I think it could interest some of you.

Hope you like it, and don't hesitate for any remarques or design improvement!

I love the idea! I actually came up with one as well, if you go to page 26 of this thread you can see my design if you're interested, its very similar to yours.

21 minutes ago, TravisH44 said:

I love the idea! I actually came up with one as well, if you go to page 26 of this thread you can see my design if you're interested, its very similar to yours.

Hello, clearly the same way, but I didn't know that such transparent case could exist lol !!! Certainly more comfortable to force the screw to stay in place!

But I hope you found another solution for turning the axle than that lol:

46611750045_245d21ed05_n.jpg

18 minutes ago, Vouatch said:

Hello, clearly the same way, but I didn't know that such transparent case could exist lol !!! Certainly more comfortable to force the screw to stay in place!

But I hope you found another solution for turning the axle than that lol:

I like the red, it matches the other red accents on the ship and that particular knob is more of a nostalgia choice since older Technic sets I grew up with use that same knob type.

4 minutes ago, TravisH44 said:

I like the red, it matches the other red accents on the ship and that particular knob is more of a nostalgia choice since older Technic sets I grew up with use that same knob type.

Ok, I hope you didn't take it bad, it only makes me smile to see this big red beacon on the falcon. I Understand what you mean with older technic set that I have again.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:23 PM, Kirton Bricks said:

Really liking that Technic lowering mechanism Travis! I was hoping someone would share something like that as I couldn't figure out how to do it...

Here's where I've got to with my ramp. Looks good I think when lowered but not so much when it's raised so i'll keep tweaking. I've removed the original Technic mechanism from the set it so will be interesting to see if I can adapt what Travis has done to make it work.

47483654792_1fa23a8fbb_c.jpgSide 1 by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

47536371521_ff8d1f5a83_c.jpgFront by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

33659620838_9ee58f8376_c.jpgSide 2 by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

47483649742_538486db7b_c.jpgBoarding Ramp 1 by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

32593929207_abb07af14e_c.jpgRamp deconstructed by Kirton Bricks, on Flickr

thanks to @TravisH44 that permits me to see on page 26 this incredible work on the ramp by @Kirton Bricks! A very interesting way to connect 2 plates inverted and some details that make it more accuracy of the movie like the hook at the end of the docking bay, dark tiles on the floor... Future work of improvement !

17 minutes ago, Vouatch said:

Ok, I hope you didn't take it bad, it only makes me smile to see this big red beacon on the falcon. I Understand what you mean with older technic set that I have again.

thanks to @TravisH44 that permits me to see on page 26 this incredible work on the ramp by @Kirton Bricks! A very interesting way to connect 2 plates inverted and some details that make it more accuracy of the movie like the hook at the end of the docking bay, dark tiles on the floor... Future work of improvement !

Oh not at all! It does stick out like a sore thumb, I like it haha :). I'm glad that led you to see more designs, there's SO MUCH good stuff buried in the previous pages.

Just now, TravisH44 said:

Oh not at all! It does stick out like a sore thumb, I like it haha :). I'm glad that led you to see more designs, there's SO MUCH good stuff buried in the previous pages.

and yet I read all the topic in March of this year... hard to age

23 hours ago, Neophyte_brickie said:

Well, this is an unexpected development! Dammit, I can feel more mods coming on for my Falcon. 

Looks great! Looking forward to see how it looks like on the Falcon!

I finally got the pieces I was missing. I shortened the technic link tread by 1. I also had to add a few parts to keep the tread from sagging.

20201114_08553820201114_08535620201114_085752

20201114_085816

Also made changes to the docking ring wall. You'll notice the dark bluish gray 1x1 plate moves from above the 1x1 brick modified with clip to below it. This allows to attach back the hose nozzle without it hitting on the dish. 

20201113_22265220201114_085752

Thanks @Vouatch for figuring out the design and sharing the LDD and @Lockfor hosting the file for us to all use. 

Edited by eddmont

Thank your for feedback, I was feeling that the tread would certainly move a little bit since I can't use my moto rim inside unfortunately...

And from what I see, I think it is falling by the back all around, so may be we need to find a round plate to maintain the tread 

What's your final opinion?

Frome the front, it look's like we expected, and what about from the sides? Can't we look inside too much?

what about this piece (x2) juste before the big round tile?

22888.png

With your proposal and this new piece
Plate, Round Half 4 x 8
Item No: 22888

Bananas type7

Ooops, I didn't understood what you mean by " I shortened the technic link tread by 1", now it's clear and it strange because the number was like Marshall banana design, you have now 2 parts without tile.

22 minutes ago, Vouatch said:

Thank your for feedback, I was feeling that the tread would certainly move a little bit since I can't use my moto rim inside unfortunately...

And from what I see, I think it is falling by the back all around, so may be we need to find a round plate to maintain the tread 

What's your final opinion?

Frome the front, it look's like we expected, and what about from the sides? Can't we look inside too much?

what about this piece (x2) juste before the big round tile?

22888.png

With your proposal and this new piece
Plate, Round Half 4 x 8
Item No: 22888

Bananas type7

I will give that shot when I get back. I do agree it does sag in the back, that's why in the front I added 2 1x1 round plates onto the round tiles to keep it from sagging.

Just now, Vouatch said:

Ooops, I didn't understood what you mean by " I shortened the technic link tread by 1", now it's clear and it strange because the number was like Marshall banana design, you have now 2 parts without tile.

That too

other idea, lol, I'm so unhappy that it doesn't work well by the first try, I want to propose a good solution:

replace this : 4032.png

by this : 6177.png

tile 6177 8x8.

I think that could be the best way

after many test on stud.io, I must admit that this final proposal seems not to work.

I take a look at Marshal banana pictures and I think I caught well the design, are you sure that it doesn't work with the right number of technic link? It does'nt create a tension that permit to maintain the tread in circle? Need your help because I don't have the parts to make tests

better way seems that

Bananas type9

4 hours ago, Vouatch said:

after many test on stud.io, I must admit that this final proposal seems not to work.

I take a look at Marshal banana pictures and I think I caught well the design, are you sure that it doesn't work with the right number of technic link? It does'nt create a tension that permit to maintain the tread in circle? Need your help because I don't have the parts to make tests

better way seems that

Bananas type9

Well @Vouatch this is how it looks with 32 tread links. It just seems a little to big.

782CFE8C-28ED-4509-9D85-B3D14ECF3605

I took your suggestion with the additional clips. This only has 31 tread links.

9AC4B8F0-43F7-4B82-9527-A9483876263B

Here are also some changes I made. Step by step look:

73224212-B173-45DC-A979-A773E8370C11F42E1B70-D94C-4588-B4C4-45AB4231C6C5B6C223DB-05E7-4F1D-80C4-DCAFEE4E0D0D77699BEA-BE40-414B-804F-649317FBC2A14EA2C44F-9C4E-412D-BD72-C726A0713016ACAD99F3-6768-4547-8E0A-CC89DC4165466FB10E72-D594-469A-884A-CC8F74E7979D5DF135D2-83CF-49E6-A83E-88DF6E199427

@eddmont, thanks for your support.

OK, effectively, 32 tread links seems NOK... very strange since on stud.io and from Marshal Banana's pictures it works (or I did mistake by counting) EDIT: no, there are strictly 32 tread links. You know what? may be his pictures are stud.io rendering and not real ..? that could explain the perfect circularity.

Your last result seems good, tread is less falling down on the background but ... something other is strange, yesterday, I repeat your ideas on the file, and there is something that don't work: you seem have an additional extra level and your parts are coming out too much. You added a round gold plate 1x1 under handles so it's easy to go back.

For the rest, I must admit that my first file add a structural problem and you solved it with a different combination of plates, but look at this now, I put some colors to make it more easy to understand, you will see that your grille is one level under than expected and the rest is more higher. Can you try this?

Bananas type10Bananas type11

Edited by Vouatch

4 hours ago, Vouatch said:

@eddmont, thanks for your support.

OK, effectively, 32 tread links seems NOK... very strange since on stud.io and from Marshal Banana's pictures it works (or I did mistake by counting) EDIT: no, there are strictly 32 tread links. You know what? may be his pictures are stud.io rendering and not real ..? that could explain the perfect circularity.

Your last result seems good, tread is less falling down on the background but ... something other is strange, yesterday, I repeat your ideas on the file, and there is something that don't work: you seem have an additional extra level and your parts are coming out too much. You added a round gold plate 1x1 under handles so it's easy to go back.

For the rest, I must admit that my first file add a structural problem and you solved it with a different combination of plates, but look at this now, I put some colors to make it more easy to understand, you will see that your grille is one level under than expected and the rest is more higher. Can you try this?

Bananas type10Bananas type11

Made the changes you suggested. I think this is the final revision. The handle bars sit below the ring and the pneumatic t's are just barely sticking out. Aside from the 2 treads on the bottom without a tile, I think it is just right,  I'm happy with it. This a been a learning experience, glad you know Studio.io so well.  

F3AA976A-06AB-4B96-A424-23A5D393B452

Edited by eddmont

@eddmont If you are happy so am I !!! Thanks for all tests and feedbacks, I will translate the final version to @Lock then he could share the file to everybody.

It was fun to work on it.

Ultimate idea include in my file, lol I can't resist:

Bananas type12

Just now, Vouatch said:

@eddmont If you are happy so am I !!! Thanks for all tests and feedbacks, I will translate the final version to @Lock then he could share the file to everybody.

It was fun to work on it.

Ultimate idea include in my file, lol I can't resist:

Bananas type12

You may not want to put those 1x1 round plates. You need that space to let the tread links sit right. Yes it was fun and a challenge.

even for those where there is no clip? I think those one could be put more lower than other, touching the big round tile?

16 minutes ago, Vouatch said:

even for those where there is no clip? I think those one could be put more lower than other, touching the big round tile?

Yes even without the ones with clips. The last stud on the plate modified 1x2 with clip can be pushed in place to hold out the tread links. I hope that make sense.