ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

1 hour ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

@ScottishDave How did you manage to attach the tiles in a circle shape to make your docking rings?

EDIT: I found the flickr user you credited.

Beat me to it!

Also @Frenk512 has a good Explanatory photo on Flickr which is more like what I actually used:

Untitled-2

8 hours ago, ScottishDave said:

If you ignore the inner angle, the new 4 * 6 wedge plates  you mentioned are perfect. It's just a pity they don't exisit in Light bluish gray.

As of the TLJ MF set 75257, they do exist in LBG. It might take a little bit for them to get on Bricklink, but they're there. That's interesting what you said about the docking rings being too short, I may have a look at that in the future but for now I think that particular issue is last on my list. It may simply look better if I make the lower DBG ring around the turret base LBG, I'm not sure why they made it half dark and half light.

I think I will ignore the inner angle of the mandibles for now, because I've never noticed it before in my life until you said it, so I think that's a minor issue lol!

Thanks for the resource and all your help, the only question I think I have for the moment is how your connection system works for the hull plates to make the studs radially aligned?

36 minutes ago, caperica said:

The only question I think I have for the moment is how your connection system works for the hull plates to make the studs radially aligned?

Lots and lots of hinges, like so:

Rear hull deck underside

Also take a look at the three year old LXF I posted earlier in this thread:

Awesome, thanks! 

Does anyone happen to have one of those comparison pictures that shows the outline of the studio model on top of the lego model, that shows where the main areas are different? I can't seem to find one anywhere...

On 10/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, caperica said:

2. The mandibles need to move forward a bit and the central section elongated so that the forward hull can be the same diameter semicircle as the back. 

If you look closely, the forward hull's diameter is a bit smaller than the rear. There is a jump up right around the area where the conduit goes from the edge of the hull to the satellite dish, and on the other side around where the hull meets the tunnel to the cockpit. I can upload some marked up images if it helps. 

That, along with the radial hull pieces and sublight engine flaps, are also priorities for me. 

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! 

(I'm getting closer with mine...) 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, ClassicLook said:

I'm on holiday now, so I'm going to upload my version to Bricklink Stud.io Galery in a week.

Following up on this.  And since I'm only allowed to send 0 messages per day I'll ask again here.  

I just received my set of pre-printed bricks for this set from Steindrucker.com and I must say I'M IMPRESSED!  I ordered these on October 12 from Germany and they arrived on October 24 in Phoenix Arizona.  This is going to be a fun build to document.  I'm setting up a site just for it.  I get inspiration from you guys!  I'll put the site in my profile so I'm not link spamming on my 4th post.  Jeeze I have to make these small to upload. Really defeats the point in trying to show them off.  Oh well.  The site'll be live in a couple days after I finish up some more pages.  Haven't started the re-build yet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Delta Walker
Another topic.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:59 PM, Delta Walker said:

Following up on this.  And since I'm only allowed to send 0 messages per day I'll ask again here.  

I just received my set of pre-printed bricks for this set from Steindrucker.com and I must say I'M IMPRESSED!  I ordered these on October 12 from Germany and they arrived on October 24 in Phoenix Arizona.  This is going to be a fun build to document.  I'm setting up a site just for it.  I get inspiration from you guys!  I'll put the site in my profile so I'm not link spamming on my 4th post.  Jeeze I have to make these small to upload. Really defeats the point in trying to show them off.  Oh well.  The site'll be live in a couple days after I finish up some more pages.  Haven't started the re-build yet.

They look great! I'm thinking of getting some myself.

I just started modifying my falcon:

I rotated the engine exhausts and added another room

LEGO 75192 mods

LEGO 75192 mods

On 10/15/2019 at 10:56 PM, ScottishDave said:

Beat me to it!

Also @Frenk512 has a good Explanatory photo on Flickr which is more like what I actually used:

Untitled-2

This looks really sharp. 

I've seen two mods where they both use a gear wheel that you turn on top of the docking port columns.  One will lower the ramp.  The other will open the hatch that Lando uses to rescue Luke at the end of Empire.  Cool ideas I don't think I've seen in this thread.  

Ok got that site going.  I found one of those freebie templates out there and I think it works well for this theme.  I think I have a bunch of content.  I'm trying to collect most everything I find about modding this kit.  There's so much out there, builds, videos, ideas, etc.  Today starts assembly of the stand and then the kit itself, and incorporating mods as I go and documenting.  I hear this is never really a completed build as you always find something else you want to incorporate so I anticipating on this for some time.  I appreciate any input (especially if it's something I'm not aware of yet).

http://marksmods.com/Lepin-UCS-Millennium-Falcon-Build/

Edited by Delta Walker
More info

4 hours ago, Delta Walker said:

I've seen two mods where they both use a gear wheel that you turn on top of the docking port columns.  One will lower the ramp.  The other will open the hatch that Lando uses to rescue Luke at the end of Empire.  Cool ideas I don't think I've seen in this thread.  

Ok got that site going.  I found one of those freebie templates out there and I think it works well for this theme.  I think I have a bunch of content.  I'm trying to collect most everything I find about modding this kit.  There's so much out there, builds, videos, ideas, etc.  Today starts assembly of the stand and then the kit itself, and incorporating mods as I go and documenting.  I hear this is never really a completed build as you always find something else you want to incorporate so I anticipating on this for some time.  I appreciate any input (especially if it's something I'm not aware of yet).

http://marksmods.com/Lepin-UCS-Millennium-Falcon-Build/

I made a ramp-lowering mechanism, it's on page 26 if you're interested in checking it out. I've seen a mod with the knob that opens the top hatch (probably the same mod you're referring to), I'm DYING to know how that was designed, it's pretty brilliant.

1 hour ago, ekrangnes said:

Dilating Hatch - video and instructions:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/185230655@N03/7109QY

53 minutes ago, TravisH44 said:

I seriously wish I could buy you a beer right now, this is so great. But this doesn't demonstrate how the "lift" part works, right? Just the hatch itself.

And I'll get you the other 5.  Thanks!  Oh Bricklink.......

7 hours ago, TravisH44 said:

I seriously wish I could buy you a beer right now, this is so great. But this doesn't demonstrate how the "lift" part works, right? Just the hatch itself.

Update above. If someone can find a good way to gear up the elevator to get some speed into it I'd be a happy camper.

I’d like to approve your project, @Delta Walker, but Lepin sets are illegal. :(

So, please, don’t include any of my mods.

P.S. The idea is great, if only it was for the original set. :)

4 hours ago, ekrangnes said:

Update above. If someone can find a good way to gear up the elevator to get some speed into it I'd be a happy camper.

You should mix the two mechanisms in one. Like, turning the knob, have the minifig coming out at the end of the opening. :)

One question, @ekrangnes: what program do you use to generate the instructions?

Edited by Lock

Lock if you are offering to purchase the Lego set for me great.  I vote with my wallet. 

Edited by Delta Walker

12 hours ago, ekrangnes said:

Thanks a million, I really appreciate the update! I have to ask, did you design that whole thing yourself?? It's so clever and intricate, just incredible.

29 minutes ago, TravisH44 said:

Thanks a million, I really appreciate the update! I have to ask, did you design that whole thing yourself?? It's so clever and intricate, just incredible.

I saw this one a bit back - and as an engineer I have always loved the mechanical marvel of the dilating sci-fi doors. A really good challenge in Lego - that it is certainly true. And to be perfectly honest, there has been quite a few iterations to say the least... The design is all mine - I haven't seen anything similar. Mind the transitions between the worm gears when assembling; the path needs to be continuous in order for it work. Thanks for the kind words. A lot of good stuff shared here in this thread and I am happy to contribute. Let's keep it up :-)

49 minutes ago, ekrangnes said:

I saw this one a bit back - 

Yep, this is the one I saw. Admittedly I'm a little less dazzled now that I know how yours works.

11 hours ago, Delta Walker said:

Lock if you are offering to purchase the Lego set for me great.  I vote with my wallet. 

The point is I love Ferrari cars, but, if I can't afford them, I won't steal them. :D

I'm not saying you're stealing from Lego but, indirectly, it's what your action does. One thing I've always loved about toys I wanted, was the effort to get them. Like saving Christmas and birthday money for two years to buy my Amiga 500, or put a bit of money apart every month for 10 years to buy the UCS Millennium Falcon (lucky me a new and better one came out). If I think something costs too much for its value then there's no point I buy it. I understand Lepin sets could be tempting, but you get something that is literally the opposite of Lego. :(

I don't want to sound harsh, I'm not against alternative bricks, I like a lot of chinese ones. I've bought myself a chestburster set from a vietnamite company. But I did it because a) Lego doesn't produce it and b) because the creators were paid for the license.

That said your website is great, and full of very interesting info about mods, stands and printed pieces. But, still, is about an illegal company.

Sorry for the OT.

11 hours ago, ekrangnes said:

Stud.io

Thank you. Lol, I'm using it since a few months and didn't know it can generate instructions. :)

Edited by Lock
Typos

"I don't want to sound harsh"  too late.  

Lock I hope you aren't part of the official welcoming committee here because you do a lousy job of it.   Oh and by the way I'll use any mod I please in my build.  Yes, even yours.

I paid for my set.  Maybe if Lego wasn't overpriced I could afford theirs.  Saving money has nothing to do with it.  A box of plastic will never be worth $799 plus tax to me.  I could never justify that.  I am not blinded by brand loyalty.  I go where the deal is and vote with my wallet.

Why don't you stop judging?    Didn't your mother ever tell you if you don't have something nice to say to say nothing at all?  I'm not looking for a father figure in my life and I certainly don't need a lecture from you on any topic.

PILE ON.

Edited by Delta Walker

Eurobricks actually is a website where we pride ourselves, to a certain extent, on being "blinded by brand loyalty". That's not to say that criticism of LEGO is shut down, and in fact it's not at all. But, while we may take issue with LEGO's practices/decisions/designs/pricing etc., we should all have come here because we love LEGO and are drawn to it.

Lepin is an illegal clone brand that steals designs from LEGO and from MOC designers and uses them for profit, illegally. As a LEGO fansite, we don't tolerate Lepin at all, nor do we tolerate any praise for Lepin.

If actual LEGO isn't worth it to you, @Delta Walker, but an illegal clone brand is ok, I'm not really sure what you're doing on a LEGO site?

@Lock isn't part of any official welcoming committee, but as a moderator here I suppose I am, so this has been my official welcome.

Now, I hope this can get back to the productive topic at hand - modifying the LEGO Millenium Falcon.