ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

9 hours ago, corbinfett said:

Thanks guys!  I'll get to ordering what I need.  I'm trying to draw out my fun so I'm just now on bag 13/17

Take your time and enjoy it. My falcon took 14 days, and I’ve enjoyed every single minute of building. :)

http://www.lemonskin.net/io/11112

On 6/25/2019 at 3:56 AM, Lock said:

Take your time and enjoy it. My falcon took 14 days, and I’ve enjoyed every single minute of building. :)

http://www.lemonskin.net/io/11112

Oh I am.  My kids are enjoying helping me too.  I'm about 20 hours into it over 2 weeks.  I think I've enjoyed this one more than both my star destroyers (even though I love Empire ships more)

Various new concepts I haven't seen here before that I plan to use on mine:

Turret seat:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pCdEUQxkz71G9crZanbcXVTOEScbKr_/view?usp=sharing

Ground Buzzer - front and back. The vertical black axle will lower/raise the gun. The grey one will rotate it :
https://imgshare.io/image/screenshot-2019-07-09-214309.OcW9f
https://imgshare.io/image/screenshot-2019-07-09-214320.Ocjoq

I have a concept for the dilating hatch as well with elevator - let me try to build it first and I will share if it works :-)

Edited by ekrangnes

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, ekrangnes said:

Various new concepts I haven't seen here before that I plan to use on mine:

Turret seat:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pCdEUQxkz71G9crZanbcXVTOEScbKr_/view?usp=sharing

Ground Buzzer - front and back. The vertical black axle will lower/raise the gun. The grey one will rotate it :
https://imgshare.io/image/screenshot-2019-07-09-214309.OcW9f
https://imgshare.io/image/screenshot-2019-07-09-214320.Ocjoq

I have a concept for the dilating hatch as well with elevator - let me try to build it first and I will share if it works :-)

That Buzzer design is so impressive!! I'd love to see it for real

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:34 AM, TravisH44 said:

Hey all, just thought I'd share my new engine mod, it's pretty similar to some of the others posted already, especially the one designed by @ClassicLook. I wanted to minimize the use of grey plates, so I basically used trans-clear bricks and trans-light blue slopes with tiles where the grey bars are. I still need to order an LED for it, but it should light up just fine.

47941630082_15745a7658_n.jpgIMG-1374 by Travis Halachis, on Flickr

Finally have an addition to our growing collection of light-up engines, here's mine. The LEDs I ordered don't have a remote, so the only on/off is directly on the battery pack. I thought that was going to be a serious issue but as luck would have it the battery pack fits snugly and perfectly into the side compartment next to the engine, pretty stoked about that!! To make things easy I took out one of the triangle plates underneath where the switch on the box is, so now I can just reach underneath the falcon and flip on the lights. 

48285173471_0139df7e21_n.jpgLIT UP by Travis Halachis, on Flickr

48285172701_c997c993b3_n.jpgWire passthrough by Travis Halachis, on Flickr

48285277387_c5db72c54c_n.jpgBattery pack compartment by Travis Halachis, on Flickr

48285277527_1a63fefd27_n.jpgSwitch location by Travis Halachis, on Flickr

I bought 75192 after a little more than 20 years away from Lego. It was such a stunning and nostalgic experience assembled it with zero mods, and then took the entire thing apart just to enjoy building it again. It's amazing to see all 7500 pieces spread out and know that they are all going to come together to create this gigantic beauty!

I have to at least fix the engines; not a fan of the stock design. @HERMANtheSMASHER, did you get your engine design to fit? I love the angles in your design, so I'm going to try shortening it by two plates if I can avoid compromising the look too much. @ClassicLook, your engine really looks great too, and it's proven to fit, so I may copy your design in the end.

Also, I'm assembling the MF on @efferman's stand this time around. I mounted it a little after the Bag 4 stage in the manual. It's a lot of fun assembling it on the stand! Not to mention much easier to access most of the ship.

It's also easier to assemble it the 2nd time around because the pins go together slightly more easily after having been used once. I don't remember this subtlety about Lego from when I was playing with it as a kid. But it shouldn't indicate that Technic assemblies from used parts will be any weaker than from new parts, since it's the rigidity of the pin as a whole that matters most rather than the flexibility of the pin's "mouth." Probably most of the resting stress on a Technic structure will be bricks and arms shearing against each other rather than being pulled apart. Thoughts?

22 hours ago, helpComputer said:

@ClassicLook, your engine really looks great too, and it's proven to fit, so I may copy your design in the end.

It fits almost perfectly, there's just a little tension among the curve. Otherwise it follows the curve of the ship nicely.

I'm going to upload the design to Bricklink Studio Gallery, but I've been too busy lately.

Edited by ClassicLook

49 minutes ago, ClassicLook said:

but I've been too busy lately.

I know what that's like. After my initial glee of playing with Lego for the first time in years had me rushing through the first build of the Falcon over a free weekend, my hurting fingers had me thinking that maybe something this much fun shouldn't be rushed :)

On 7/21/2019 at 12:58 PM, helpComputer said:

Also, I'm assembling the MF on @efferman's stand this time around. I mounted it a little after the Bag 4 stage in the manual. It's a lot of fun assembling it on the stand! Not to mention much easier to access most of the ship.

It's also easier to assemble it the 2nd time around because the pins go together slightly more easily after having been used once. I don't remember this subtlety about Lego from when I was playing with it as a kid. But it shouldn't indicate that Technic assemblies from used parts will be any weaker than from new parts, since it's the rigidity of the pin as a whole that matters most rather than the flexibility of the pin's "mouth." Probably most of the resting stress on a Technic structure will be bricks and arms shearing against each other rather than being pulled apart. Thoughts?

I second this. Finished my MF just yesterday, sitting on the stand since about the same step. It's not only the better access, it's the mobility it gives you, even when you finished the project. A little backward tilting and you can carry the whole model including the loose parts without any fear. And for everyone building medium MFs, there is a "dunes" version on rebrickable.

Hello everyone;

I'm planning on getting this set in about two weeks, and I want to institute several of these mods. Am I all right to resurrect this thread, or is there a more current one?

1 hour ago, caperica said:

Hello everyone;

I'm planning on getting this set in about two weeks, and I want to institute several of these mods. Am I all right to resurrect this thread, or is there a more current one?

Best to use this one since it's related to the thread. 

2 hours ago, caperica said:

Hello everyone;

Yeah, this is the most current one as far as I know. I'm still working on modding mine!

Yup, this is the most current forum on Eurobricks. Has anyone used the bendable tubes to make the passage way to the cockpit? I am attempting to finish out the rest of the ship, cock pit and the hallway. 

This is not your typical mod...

I've been working on my own heavily modified UCS Millennium Falcon for about ten years now: on and off as the mood takes me. I have an old thread over here which I haven't updated for years.

During the last round of changes I incorporated entire sections of the new UCS, and some ideas I saw in this thread. I suppose that means that it fits here :wink:.

Many thanks to @Frenk512 and James Shields for the docking ring designs, and to @marshal-banana for the engine vents.

48777801232_0e69f8aae2.jpg

48777256133_d5e138ee95.jpg

48777613231_ff30775800.jpg

More photos available in the flickr album

That looks great! I reallt like the engine details at the back.

Have you thought about using more tiles on the top? Personally I think a mixture of more tiles with some studs could look better. 

The model looks very front heavy on the picture, is the UCS set front heavy too?

@ScottishDave Wow, are you sure this is in the right thread? I think you really are selling yourself short with calling this a MOD! Looks like a full MOC to me, and a great one at that! 

Sure, maybe it could use a few more tiles but you really did a great job on the proportions and hull detail/greebling. Will you be posting updates for the interior? Looks like you are still working on that? 

I also really like that the history of your model is still visible. Parts of the hull remind me of the original UCS set, in a good way of course! ;) 

@ScottishDave that looks fantastic! I see youve gone for a more studded look vs Marshal's smoother design. I think yours better encapsulates the hunk of junk aspect. Amazing

18 hours ago, Reaper said:

The model looks very front heavy on the picture, is the UCS set front heavy too?

The front is sagging a bit. I only noticed when i was reviewing the pictures. It was probably walked on by a Giant Space Cat (which sometimes passes through the Tabletop Spaceport on it's way to somewhere else).

The UCS model is built like the proverbial brick outhouse, so it probably doesn't suffer from saggy mandibles.

6 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

@ScottishDave Wow, are you sure this is in the right thread? I think you really are selling yourself short with calling this a MOD! Looks like a full MOC to me, and a great one at that! 

Sure, maybe it could use a few more tiles but you really did a great job on the proportions and hull detail/greebling. Will you be posting updates for the interior? Looks like you are still working on that? 

I also really like that the history of your model is still visible. Parts of the hull remind me of the original UCS set, in a good way of course! ;) 

Thank you - too kind. This started out as a mod of the 2007 Millennium Falcon. It may have exceeded it's brief just a smidge but honestly I'd still call it a mod.

The interior stumped me. That curving corridor on the port side just doesn't actually fit inside the hull.

I'm done with this model for now - hence the pics. I'm about to take it apart in order to build a Star Destroyer. The Tabletop Spaceport only has room for one verssel at a time.

5 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

@ScottishDave that looks fantastic! I see youve gone for a more studded look vs Marshal's smoother design. I think yours better encapsulates the hunk of junk aspect. Amazing

Thank you! Studs versus tiles is very subjective. I like it OK as it is but I may change my mind next time.

19 hours ago, ScottishDave said:

This is not your typical mod...

I've been working on my own heavily modified UCS Millennium Falcon for about ten years now: on and off as the mood takes me. I have an old thread over here which I haven't updated for years.

During the last round of changes I incorporated entire sections of the new UCS, and some ideas I saw in this thread. I suppose that means that it fits here :wink:.

Many thanks to @Frenk512 and James Shields for the docking ring designs, and to @marshal-banana for the engine vents.

More photos available in the flickr album

Just wanted to chime in, the interior you made is BEAUTIFUL, especially the cockpit. Did you thread lever sticks through a grille piece at the front of the controls? That's what it looks like. So well done.

48783536197_b2e21245cb.jpgCapture by Travis Halachis, on Flickr

2 hours ago, TravisH44 said:

Just wanted to chime in, the interior you made is BEAUTIFUL, especially the cockpit. Did you thread lever sticks through a grille piece at the front of the controls? That's what it looks like. So well done.

Sharp eyes, @TravisH44! I  forgot that I wanted to demonstrate that here. It's a genuine mod, and quite simple.

Parts:

48784328122_88a6aa350f.jpg

The stickers came from set 7964 (Republic Frigate). I also used the dark red areas from that sticker sheet on the turret.

Partly assembled:

48784166816_7deeb82314.jpg

Side view. This is the money shot, showing how the levers fit into the old hinge plate and go through the grille tile:

48783806883_9db005643e.jpg

Final assembly. The minifigs "sit" on the two visible studs on each side. There's plenty of room for them.

48783809738_88dc488766.jpg

40 minutes ago, ScottishDave said:

Sharp eyes, @TravisH44! I  forgot that I wanted to demonstrate that here. It's a genuine mod, and quite simple.

Final assembly. The minifigs "sit" on the two visible studs on each side. There's plenty of room for them.

48783809738_88dc488766.jpg

Very clever!!! Thank you for all the detail you provided on this.