ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

I just bought mine yesterday and I think I'll start working on the empty room soon

On 2/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, roadstermatt said:

I would highly recommend modding it as you go along pulling the beast back apart to add the rooms can be frustrating

That's been my plan for over a year now. Seeing what other people do, brainstorming my own mods, and collecting parts while I figure out where I'm going to put the thing once it's built... 

I did exactly the opposite ?

i first build it without any mod because i wanted to enjoy the official model build.

then i modded it how i wanted it but then i could see if anything was in the way of the panels.

I did a mixture of both. I dove straight in to lock's engine mod (modified slightly) and my own take on rotating the top vents, bypassing the official instructions.

The front unused room I built as per the instructions then half way through before mounting on the stand I modified it as per blocks magazine instructions to the underfloor storage. Similarly I built the back panels as per instructions before rebuilding them when the model was finished so I could access the back empty room. Never finished modding the empty room though other than some flooring, it though as it sits on a high shelf! (Photos a couple of pages back)

Edited by azzer86
Typos

On 1/28/2019 at 8:11 PM, TravisH44 said:

I don't think the Lego shop lets you link to a specific review, but it's on Page 3 of the reviews (it might move down as more are written? not sure), it's fortunately not that tough to find.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Millennium-Falcon-75192

Thanks for the link (and sorry for the delay in answering), it seems there’s a lot of interesting stuff these. :)

Hi everyone,

Let me share with you my cockpit MOD. It's not so special, I used many ideas from this forum, but I guess it's still custom.

I faced with the problem, that many of you described earlier, that if you want to integrate four seats, it's almost impossible to fit all the minifigs (especially Chewie, because of his enlarged size). It seems that the cockpit is not correctly minifigure-sized.

@Lock came out with a clever solution with acceptable compromises. However, I realised meanwhile, that I only want to display Han and Chewie in the cockpit, so I was focusing mainly on the control panels and the front seats. I modified the back of the cockpit as well to transform it to a more cleaner interior. It is still possible to sit all the minifigs, only you have to remove the front seats (so there's no seats left). Here's the result:

40163052063_a75a58d53f_b.jpgCockpit by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

46404455684_19a75cbc36_b.jpgCockpit2 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

46404455604_4d7ffb3f47_b.jpgCockpit3 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

40163051983_d61fef6781_b.jpgCockpit-minifigures by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

The only problem is, that there are no printed  "30 1x1 2/3' and "45 2x1" slopes in dark bluish gray for the panel between the seats. I don't like stickers, so I think I'm going to use these light bluish gray parts:

47139208761_42c4ffb99b.jpg54200pb083.original by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

33263748248_3a5d99bc55.jpg3040pb010 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

I'm starting to bricklink the parts now. :classic:

Edited by ClassicLook

Has anyone yet modded the legs/feet of the Falcon. Watched Empire over the weekend and realised that in the movie the characters can easily reach the underside of the ship. In fact Chewbacca has to duck as he walks down the loading ramp at the end.

By contrast on the UCS model you'd need 2 figures stood on top of each other to reach the underside. 

Anyone seen this video from a while back of someone's built-from-scratch MF MOC? He has this awesome mechanism for the passenger ramp that uses Technic pieces, and I'd love to be able to recreate it. Are there resources online for learning how to design things like this?

On 2/18/2019 at 2:58 PM, stevej said:

Has anyone yet modded the legs/feet of the Falcon. Watched Empire over the weekend and realised that in the movie the characters can easily reach the underside of the ship. In fact Chewbacca has to duck as he walks down the loading ramp at the end.

By contrast on the UCS model you'd need 2 figures stood on top of each other to reach the underside. 

I don't have the model in front of me but I suspect the legs have to be "too tall" in order to make enough space for the bottom quad cannon. Maybe not. Both cannons lie pretty flat against the ship in the movies.

Hey everyone! I picked up my 75192 set around Christmas time and built it over the holiday break. I have been lurking on this thread since early December......:blush: at least. I was a huge into lego's like 30 years ago when i was a kid and this set literally propelled me back into building with lego's in a major way. I hadn't played or touched them in many many years. I have both LDD and Studio on both of my computers and have been crafting things ever since I finished my Falcon. I just wanted to share a new engine MOC i was working on for the 75192 and get your reaction as well as help on possibly figuring out how to get one of the variations to work. 

Here is just a little look at all the versions I was playing with as well as trying to reproduce as a basis some of the ones shared on this thread. Great work has been shared here, thank you all for your hard work! 

46253826795_62d7291737_k.jpgEngine Moc - Practice runs by frank23philly, on Flickr

Here is the first version I created that started to take form and give me lattice look i was going for. I was torn between going Dark Blue Gray or Light Blue Gray with the design. There is one part (36840) that has to remain DBG since lego does not produce it in LBG. Also I have inserted a 32038 as i like the detail but not sure i want to keep it just yet.

32226027417_fcd133df4a_h.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 1 Front by frank23philly, on Flickr

46253826835_d2cb5f2f92_h.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 1 Back by frank23philly, on Flickr

This version I think is going to be the version I will actually order the parts for. Its a slight variation on the one above but i like the overall style of it better. I'm still torn between the DBG and LBG for the color. I feel the DBG looks good in the sense that the engines have left behind some char on the grid of engine fins.......

32226027487_f2f0f0ded6_k.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 2 Front by frank23philly, on Flickr

46253826855_2f13e68c95_h.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 2 Back by frank23philly, on Flickr

Here is the one i would love to be able to solve but running into some road blocks on how to actually accomplish. This variation would allow for the most light transmittance from behind from an LED light pack. If anyone has any tips or tricks on how to solve it, it would be greatly appreciated or just have fun with it. I was trying to utilize part 11203 for one section but not sure its the best part for the job. Definite crits welcome.

46253826895_5021947155_h.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 3 Trial by frank23philly, on Flickr

32226027747_08e82b565f_b.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 3 Trial2 by frank23philly, on Flickr

Hope you all enjoy my tinkering and please leave whatever feedback you might have. 

Impressive design! Looking forward to see, how it works on the ship. My next mod is going to be the engine as well, so I will follow how you do this.

How are you going to attach this thing to the sides? Are you planning to attach it in the middle as well?

8 hours ago, ClassicLook said:

Impressive design! Looking forward to see, how it works on the ship. My next mod is going to be the engine as well, so I will follow how you do this.

How are you going to attach this thing to the sides? Are you planning to attach it in the middle as well?

Thanks! It took a few runs to get here but i think it's starting to look the part of what the Falcon engines actually look like. This is what I found online to be for me a good representation of what the Sublight Drive of the Millennium Falcon to look like. 

46454765654_ab6a0d48a2_h.jpgMillennium Falcon Sublight Drive Example by frank23philly, on Flickr

It's a tough thing to reproduce via Lego but i like the challenge. My main point when developing this was to keep it in more of a brick form rather then use piping to dictate the grid itself. This way the hinges could do there job without fighting something attached to the outside of it. Just my preference in building. I do plan on attaching it to the center and end points of the 75192 for others to be able to incorporate into their model. For my ship (along side of this mod) I will say briefly that i'm re-doing the entire ship's core and interior. I took a quick break from that to develop this section and take my mind off of the complexities I was facing with that mod. More on that later :grin: as I get things back on track. I will share either here or make a new thread perhaps. 

I'm still interested in solving that last variation but because the top part needs to be flipped upside down it kind of threw me off. Not sure of the best technique to make something like this happen within 2-3 plate depth's. Any ideas?!.....:hmpf: heh. I will share a parts list of the complete version for who ever wants to buy in real bricks when the design is settled. Always happy to share! Also LBG or DBG?!! Thanks everyone!

On 2/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, TravisH44 said:

Anyone seen this video from a while back of someone's built-from-scratch MF MOC? He has this awesome mechanism for the passenger ramp that uses Technic pieces, and I'd love to be able to recreate it. Are there resources online for learning how to design things like this?

I don't have the model in front of me but I suspect the legs have to be "too tall" in order to make enough space for the bottom quad cannon. Maybe not. Both cannons lie pretty flat against the ship in the movies.

I have been trying to do that for like the past year. Making the flooring? Sure, walls? Probably not. The main problem is with the roofing, you would need to change the roofing. If you do that the connect from the cockpit to the rest of the ship will only be by on technic studded piece. If you are not going to be putting the roof on again--that will work.

Interior and exterior of ship, interior being flush. Hallway to cockpit being completed soon.

See? That is the problem, the whole entire thing by of technic piece. Good luck

Edited by Jerry McGlade
addition

Howdy everyone, I just have a question, and maybe humble request.. 

Could anyone already owning this beast help me with getting measurments from one docking ring to the landing gear underneath the cockpit? I hope it's understandable :blush: and I hope anyone would be so kind to helpfac.jpg.1311c2a995bd78de5300c6c3824bf251.jpg

Edited by StanleyRos

On 2/22/2019 at 7:13 PM, HERMANtheSMASHER said:

It's a tough thing to reproduce via Lego but i like the challenge. My main point when developing this was to keep it in more of a brick form rather then use piping to dictate the grid itself. This way the hinges could do there job without fighting something attached to the outside of it. Just my preference in building. I do plan on attaching it to the center and end points of the 75192 for others to be able to incorporate into their model. For my ship (along side of this mod) I will say briefly that i'm re-doing the entire ship's core and interior. I took a quick break from that to develop this section and take my mind off of the complexities I was facing with that mod. More on that later :grin: as I get things back on track. I will share either here or make a new thread perhaps. 

I'm still interested in solving that last variation but because the top part needs to be flipped upside down it kind of threw me off. Not sure of the best technique to make something like this happen within 2-3 plate depth's. Any ideas?!.....:hmpf: heh. I will share a parts list of the complete version for who ever wants to buy in real bricks when the design is settled. Always happy to share! Also LBG or DBG?!! Thanks everyone!

Your idea forced me to work on my Falcon's engine. I'm quite happy with the official version: the blue pipes works well and the ladder parts form a nice grid on top of it. However, compared to your reference picture, its grid is much less dense. My other problem is the middle section: the line here is not continous and it blocks the LED light.

My main purpose is to create a more fluent look to it, which is transparent for the LEDs at the same time.

I was trying to recreate your build in Studio, then I realised that it's taller (at least 2-3 studs) and deeper than the other solutions in this topic. You might have to rebuild the top and bottom panels I guess. I appreciate the effort to create a brickbuild grid. I was thinking how to flip the top, but I didn't find a proper solution. Your first version looks good as well, but as you've mentioned, it has less transmittance from behind (about 2+2 studs). I would choose LBG, because it matches better for the ship's appearence and I think with back LEDs it gives the same contrast as the DBG.

Let me share with you what I came up with. I wanted to recreate @bricksmarlin's design without using the ladder part. My biggest problem was to attaching it to the technic frame in the middle.

What do you think? Is it going to work? Does the central connection have enough space or should I build it thiner? Unfortunately, it's hard to test it with bricks because the set is on a stand and is located high on a shelf.

47211705451_33cc4e0e32_b.jpgEngine MOD2 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

47211705251_352856e0fe_b.jpgEngine MOD3 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

47211705191_5879332128_b.jpgEngine MOD4 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Middle section:

47211705121_a9e8aea0b0_b.jpgEngine MOD5 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Edited by ClassicLook

On 2/18/2019 at 10:58 PM, stevej said:

It's mainly due to the weird proportions of Lego characters. Really, just imagine every minifigure is max 4 feet tall, but as wide as someone 7 feet tall and bulky. It's why cars which people are generally taller than have to be taller than the LEGO minifigures in general. You can't build stuff while using the minfigure height because then the width would never work when trying to sit them down in spaces they should fit in.

11 hours ago, BrickG said:

It's mainly due to the weird proportions of Lego characters. Really, just imagine every minifigure is max 4 feet tall, but as wide as someone 7 feet tall and bulky. It's why cars which people are generally taller than have to be taller than the LEGO minifigures in general. You can't build stuff while using the minfigure height because then the width would never work when trying to sit them down in spaces they should fit in.

Oh, I appreciate that.

The Falcon as a standalone ship looks great but I'm looking to build the Home One hanger at some point with the UCS Falcon, the Imperial shuttle and assorted A-Wings, Y-Wings, X-Wings and B-Wings (come on Lego - release a new system scale B-Wing!). Now I know the shuttle is slightly too small next to the Falcon but I've raised the legs on it by a full block and I believe if I lower the Falcon by just one block the two ships will look closer to the way they look in the movie.

Hangar_Bay_HF-201.png

This topic never stops to amaze me. Every time I think I’m done with my MF someone comes out with new great ideas.

I like @ClassicLook‘s cockpit a lot, especially colors (mines are very wrong). I’m a bit busy these days but once I’ll get some free time I’ll start working again on it.

I also like ClassicLook’s and @HERMANtheSMASHER’s ideas for the Engine. Maybe it’s time to work again on that detail too. :)

the main problem with building the UCS Millennium Falcon is that the proportions are always changing. That is why in almost every star wars movies the proportions are different to the people.

@Jerry McGlade Totally agree with you about the roof panels being the hardest part to tie back to the altered core structure. This has been partly my rethinking process with this as I might have to re-work the panels themselves quite a bit to accomodate what I am doing below them. Crazy you have been at it about a year to re-work your falcon. Would be nice to see how you approached things as a learning process but not sure if that ship has sailed since you have been re-working things for the past year. 

@ClassicLook Thanks for your responses and sharing your new re-worked design. I really like it! Its a simple approach to tackling the look of a gridded layout in brick form as well as maintaining the height to fit in the stock 75192 model. Plus your getting a higher light transmittance through it. It looks really cool! I think your center connection will work, I would just test the depth against the 75192 model to see if it's in the same plane as the tubes and grid they used. You might also want to get 1 more stud worth of depth out of that area for the LED strip to pass through the center without binding on the backs of the hinges. Just a thought.... What are you using to model with was it Studio? also how are you getting these renders from it? Thanks ahead of time for letting me know! 

Thank you for pointing out the height difference of my engine MOC as i was just purely creating in studio and not looking at the existing model when building these. I think i will modify the top and bottom plates some to accommodate it especially since i'm re-working so much more of the model beyond this. I might try and slim this down a plate or two as well, but will continue to work that last solution also to see if I can get it to work. Seems like the magic number is 9 studs high for this to work with the existing model base since the ends are the pinch point, I'm at about 13 at the moment. I think your right with the color as well and I will turn it completely into LBG, although I might trade out 36840 and just mount the 1x1 slope onto the bottom plate instead. 

Here is just a couple pics of what it looked like fully built. At the time I took these pics I was playing with different things to add some depth or detail to the centerline of the grid. Also I had roughly re-worked the center tail portion that this engine connects too and overly beefed it up i think. 

47230881371_91351fd268_h.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 2 Full Build by frank23philly, on Flickr

47178808842_fd5d5b80d0_h.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 2 Full Build 3 by frank23philly, on Flickr

47230881551_ea3b7dd1ca_h.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 2 Full Build 2 by frank23philly, on Flickr

47230881411_e80c707c5f_b.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 2 Full Build 4 by frank23philly, on Flickr

47178808872_a97ba0ddd7_b.jpgEngine Moc - Final Version 2 Full Build 5 by frank23philly, on Flickr

Edited by HERMANtheSMASHER

1 hour ago, HERMANtheSMASHER said:

I think your center connection will work, I would just test the depth against the 75192 model to see if it's in the same plane as the tubes and grid they used. You might also want to get 1 more stud worth of depth out of that area for the LED strip to pass through the center without binding on the backs of the hinges. Just a thought.... What are you using to model with was it Studio? also how are you getting these renders from it? Thanks ahead of time for letting me know! 

I'm using Studio 2.0. It has a rendering option with photorealistic look. I really like it, but it needs time (about 10 min/picture)

I compared my design to the 75192 model to be in the same plane (I was building them paralel). Perhaps 1 stud plus/minus need to change for the perfect fit.

I think I'm going to bricklink it soon with some more parts needed to play with the final design live.

@HERMANtheSMASHER I moved houses, the structural integrity of the ship is actually better now because of the double lattice floors. The only disadvantage to modifying the whole ship was that the legs were on attached by two technic pieces which makes moving the ship slightly cumbersome. I am trying to put a roof on the passage way by splitting the roof in two and putting latch on pieces on both walls to the cockpit. It is not structurally secure, yet... 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, kilthro said:

I have purchased mine from 

https://www.steindrucker.com/millennium-falcon-package-75192

I have been very pleased with all of his collections for the sets. Hope this helps.

If its not in your native language, just use chrome and translate it. 

Thanks so much for the response! The printing looks so much better than the stickers. I've only just begun building my Falcon and from how deep this thread runs, it appears that this kit is the gift that keeps on giving.