ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

Tried the sugested engine build, here is the result:

40423168431_2e1fdaec20_o.jpg

38612348850_4e4d7269ac_o.jpg

Personnaly i prefere the previous one and i think i will stick to that again.

This is the first part of my new back section with the right number of flaps and new old steering pylon(delta-shape). In the same attempt i removed the dark tan bricks and rotated the exhaust grill diagonally

39509492495_0ba12f857f_o.jpg

40361336162_380b8b88ce_o.jpg

Edited by MatrixOne

Hey,

I took some pics from the printed bricks for the Falcon. Sorry for the bad quality, but it's very difficult with the light-reflexions. The quality is excellent and i will definitely order some bricks for the empty rooms.

40425095871_7bf9f35a90_b.jpg

38614290840_c8109ed2c2_b.jpg

40425096001_8064a47125_b.jpg

26554076468_066286052d_b.jpg

38614290970_e1860a615e_b.jpg

Actually the panels are printed on the wrong site, but imho i think this way is more seemless, because of the missing doorsill on the ground when the panel is turned.

Schidi

Edited by Schidi

37 minutes ago, Schidi said:

Hey,

I took some pics from the printed bricks for the Falcon. Sorry for the bad quality, but it's very difficult with the light-reflexions. The quality is excellent and i will definitely order some bricks for the empty rooms.

40425095871_7bf9f35a90_b.jpg

Actually the panels are printed on the wrong site, but imho i think this way is more seemless, because of the missing doorsill on the ground when the panel is turned.

Schidi

Hi, where did you get those printed bricks from please?

Hi,

I did a small modification with the panels:

This was the first view:

39530369485_52e18c32de_b.jpg

Then i did only a small change:

25554846197_49481c1093_c.jpg

25554846697_163412322c_c.jpg

I only took the plate from the bottom to the top and that's the result:

25554846807_0f7ce3f142_b.jpg

I think it looks very seemless and the colours are exactly similar.

Schidi

Those panels look great but 38 euros plus postage is fairly expensive for a handfull of bricks. 

I wouldnt mind some more stickers for internal corridors. Does anyone know if anywhere sells those? Bricklink prices are crazy for them. 

On 2/22/2018 at 4:03 PM, Schidi said:

25554846197_49481c1093_c.jpg

25554846697_163412322c_c.jpg

Schidi

I'm quite pleased with those pad printed pieces. I think I will buy some for those consoles. I wish we could buy them individually. I will be physically building corridors instead of using those panels. I would be more than happy to sell the corridor panels. I don't need them.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, MatrixOne said:

Tried the sugested engine build, here is the result:

40423168431_2e1fdaec20_o.jpg

38612348850_4e4d7269ac_o.jpg

Personnaly i prefere the previous one and i think i will stick to that again.

I understand why you like the other. I appreciate trying the suggestion. I think I will use this as my preferred choice. Both look great. 

Currently i have another engine mod in mind, waiting for the next brickorder to arrive to try out. Till then i start replacing al visible dark tan pieces on the outer shell of the falcon by either Light or Dark Bluish Grey parts.

This model is built of 90% reused parts that i owned already ( i wanted to make it of 100% reused parts but is was impossible since i didn't own enough tile-parts, unfortunately)

After a couple of months of work on this, as a side project, i've come closer to the final result. I had pretty high ambitions with this project, and wanted to go all-custom, but i slowly turned my focus to more "original" builds. And spaceships have never been my strong side anyways, sooo.. This one will most likely turn into a gift for someone, as a tradeoff for desk-space, since i can't find the space for it. 

I recycled the frame structure from the 2007 version, which is basically identical to the 2017. I wanted the vessel the be in a flying position and get rid of those clunky feet. That was my main goal, and what an awful hard task that was/is. I don't even think that I've cracked it 100% yet, so i gotta get back to it later.

i also recycled the cockpit area from the new model, since it's almost perfect in my opinion. Lego did an incredible job here. I will brick build the glass area, since the new Cone mold with print costs around 80€.. I had planned on building out the cockpit with the smaller cone piece (8 studs wide) but the size just look "off"..

I became a bit lazy in my creative planning for this model, and i ended up using a lot more from the official model then i wanted to. I am working my way backwards now, and touching up some of the parts which doesn't work for me. I will redo the whole top plate and engine area, since i have a very strong dislike for the clunky 7x12 wedge plate piece (and the official model uses ALOT of those!) i've seen some incredible renditions of the MF with MOC'ers using the old 8x4 wedge plate. Unfortunately i did not own more than a couple of those, and they are very expensive. I came across my huge selection of 12x3 wedge plates though, and they are a perfect piece for this model! 

Halfway through the model i noticed that i was running out of wedge plates. And since i wanted to avoid doing too much bricklinking I paid a visit to my parents house, went down in their basement and found my Star Wars collection from 1998-2008. 20 years of pieces did the trick! I had everything i needed, and even more. Old special prints and tiles. I was a happy man, and a bit relieved since i saved some money right there! Plus i really like that my old models get recycled for the greater good. Thats what lego is all about anyway, and it adds a bit of history and flair to this MF! 

At this point i have no idea why i am actually building this model. I don't even like huge spaceship models that much, but i felt like i kinda wanted to join in on the fun! :) 

The last thing i will need to do on this model, is the back, more commonly known as the "blue engine". I like what many of you guys did here! So i might try to find some inspiration. like many other people in here, i have a dis-taste for the ribbed hose / pirate ship solution from the official set. But i think its a great solution for an official set though..! I also recently stumbled upon Marshal Bananas version, which as basically flawless. Might have to borrow some stuff from that one too.. 

I will take some more pictures once this is closer to being finished.. :) 

Here's to those who refuse spending 700 dollars on an official set, and decide to do it on their own! 

Oh, And one last thing;

Lego, we need stud-less wedge plates (wedge tiles)!

Falcon.JPG.dfcef75afcbc1ce2d82242f762d87856.JPG

Edited by Matti

3 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

@Matti

Can we see some pictures?

Soon mate! :) My vanity doesnt allow me to post quick pictures in bad lighting, haha! I have a small studio setup, so i will see to it eventually. Also with a few WIP images, although i really must get better at documenting the process! 

@Matti I loved to read your story, and I’ll wait for more pics. :)

@MatrixOne That engine looks great. What about a flex tube in the center row too? :)

Edited by Lock

5 hours ago, MatrixOne said:

I replaced the droid arms with this little things, it gives the hole a more grid like shape

20180228_141532

20180228_141542

This looks pretty sweet. I've just made my bricklink wanted list based on @Lock's engine mod, but may tweak it to incorporate this engine design. Is it essentially Lock's mod but swapping some of the 3023 pieces for the 11476's? Then adding the LBG hoses and 48729 parts?

Thanks

(I got the part numbers from bricklink - I'm no expert in remembering them haha)

5 hours ago, MatrixOne said:

I replaced the droid arms with this little things, it gives the hole a more grid like shape

That looks really good :thumbup: a lot better than the mast pieces they used on the actual one. 

2 hours ago, Lock said:

@Matti I loved to read your story, and I’ll wait for more pics. :)

@MatrixOne That engine looks great. What about a flex tube in the center row too? :)

Its in the work but with something completely new, and so far i like it

This is my current and maybe final build on the engine, i think its the most accurate i could figure out to be screen accurate:

40543090601_9ca741c222.jpg

26671786928_d6ea97f7d2.jpg

40500256842_a3a2984653.jpg

Edited by MatrixOne

Well, quickly got a change :)

1) Option i used in previous try

2) is the mid section which i had to let unchanged to be able to fix the bar at centre and to still fix the claws left and right of them.

3)By simply rotating the blue parts i now can bend the claws a bit further in direction of the interior thus making it look more like the engines on the movie screenshot posted above

26672584398_271ac9658b.jpg

And this is what it looks like in general, 1/3 accomplished the rest will follow tomorrow.

39833060444_263dc2c597.jpg

Edited by MatrixOne

I think you got the back done. I like this solution and glad you went and did this. The third option makes it look correct, yet the least distracting.

All these mods are helping this model out tremendously. I look forward to seeing pwople tackle the bottom. I think I would somehow tackle the gun turrets and resize it. 

@MatrixOne are you going to be consistent with the orientation of the trans-blue slopes? if you did them all as option 3 i guess it would still work ?

Also I'm tending towards this out of all the engine mods on here, will you be doing a parts list for the change ?

Edited by Seasider

This is my final engine mod, and i also finally managed to figure out the rear parts with the correct number of engine flaps as also the new gearing flaps for the upper part of the falcon. After my holiday i will work on the under side to also add the flapps.

40555197811_ff77a8f467.jpg

26683932328_d124e97e95.jpg

39844543864_41d467d2c5.jpg

40555199871_dbefa3e445.jpg

@Seasider i used 110x part N°4070 and 110x N°54200 instead of the round blue transparent studs.

Has somebody already figured out how to rotate the upper left and right exhausts?

The lower were easy because there is a bricklane space to be changed but the upper once are directly connected to the plate which lies on the support stud of the mid part.

Edited by MatrixOne

@MatrixOne if you look a few pages back in this thread you’ll find someone worked out a simple mod to get the exhaust ports rotated. If I remember correctly it’s a turntable and a few 1x1 studs to hold the vents in a rotated position

On 1/3/2018 at 3:10 PM, MatrixOne said:

Has somebody already figured out how to rotate the upper left and right exhausts?

The lower were easy because there is a bricklane space to be changed but the upper once are directly connected to the plate which lies on the support stud of the mid part.

Yes, I did it here:

www . eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/154471-75192-ucs-millennium-falcon-2017-modmoc/&page=13&tab=comments#comment-2917936

(please remove the spaces between "www" and the link, I've no idea why but forum auto-linking gets you to the wrong page)

Had to do some mods to the panels to avoid to make the vents one plate higher, but nothing really complicated. :)

There's a link to the LDD file.

Edited by Lock
Oops, wrong link. :)