ds760

75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 MOD/MOC

Post your mods/mocs please. I'm working my way through slowly so far on bag set #3. Would love to see what everyone is doing and maybe jump on some of those upgrades as I go rather then tear everything apart to add later. Looks like it will take me a couple weeks to get through this build with my kids. I still can't comprehend how anyone could possibly come up with the design for this thing that they did. It's so impressive just mind blowing what lego designers have done here.  

This set in regards to the complexity of the build is outstanding. I can't fathom how anyone could come up with these designs and get this to work together in any type of orderly manner and turn into this incredible product. Stunning work by the lego designers! It's always fun to add a few little tweeks to a amazing build so I look forward to what is posted here.  

Edited by ds760

That engine MOC looks so much better than what LEGO did...why, oh why did they have to use those two pirate ship parts again? (I know why, it is a lot less expensive for LEGO, same thing for the stickers instead of printed parts).

As good as the new MF looks, it will be easily improved by the MOCers around here. I cannot wait to see what others come up with!

Edited by legocharles

If those Pirate ship parts are still going for good money, this is a good way to offset the cost of your UCS falcon! In fact, if you sell the OT printed dish and the masts that's a big chunk of money!

Edited by Flandy

12 hours ago, will said:

Edit: can't work out to post pics.

engine moc, copied from ScottishDave. Trying to remove/replace all dark tan, and make it look as OT as possible.

http://i.picresize.com/cyim

http://i.picresize.com/cyi9

That's cool!  My son and I are on bag #13 and day #4, just working on it in the evenings.  I have the 2007 version as well and the new version blows it away in my opinion!  

I've made a change to the engine mod and replaced the top layer of plates with tiles. Once I'd completed the top section of the falcon, it was resting on the engine slightly.

Started bag 5 this morning. Kids off school so here we go! Noticed bag 3 with the 7th landing gear in it has an error either in the manual or lego bricks provided. Manual shows on the bottom edge of the landing gear 4 2x1 smooth tiles with a little hollow stud for a slanted 1x1 in dark grey. Provided are 4 light greys instead which don;t match the rest of the 6 landing gears from bag 2.  Youd think the manual was right and it should match the other landing gear so tells me production made an error. 

Curious what colour others got in their sets?

Edited by ds760

@will - I've embedded the photos for you.

Click on the image you want to use > The address bar will then show the actual photo address (e.g. ending in '.jpg') > Copy and paste it into the post and it will automatically add the photo.  Great work by the way; I might do something similar once mine arrives (presumably sometime in November....) :look:

Looks good bricksmarlin. I've run out of 1x2 plates, so will swap some of them out when my order arrives. Also needed some more panels. 3 bags left to build for me.

I'm glad someone has started a topic for this.

I really, really like the new model - especially the cockpit corridor and the gun turret platforms. Some of the reworked details are brilliant – I love the use of tank tracks for detailing!

However, it has shortcomings, many of them copied straight from the old UCS

- mandible equipment access bays still in the wrong position (but smaller).

- front hull dome is still squashed as a result.

- Engine vents are too large

- lack of detail on underside.

- large internal framework, no space for a full interior.

- no landing pad hatches

- Docking ports are too small

I corrected many of these issues on my 10179 mods. LXFs are still available here. These mods can probably all be used on the new 75192 to one degree or another.

I am revisiting my mods. I plan to borrow ideas from the new model. I'm not going to buy it… I can't afford it, and I already have a Falcon which I like a lot.

As a starter for ten, here is a photo of my work-in-progress modified gun turret platform, with the following features:

- accurate window size (8 studs wide, not 6: dish taken from UCS TIE fighter)

- accurate red markings (cut up stickers from old republic cruiser)

- more accurate old grey and dark grey markings (still WIP...)

- more accurate size, position and detail on the turret.

37219162042_fddcc21129.jpg

BTW the dish is held in place with minifig hands pushed into cut hoses and shoved into the undersides of the arches.

Edited by ScottishDave
Line spacing was all weird.

These mods are looking pretty awesome so far. I guess my problem with the set is the lack of detail underneath it more than anything else.

Another problem I have with this set is the fact that the cockpit space is smaller than 10179. I am sure its possible to make a stud bigger, but it would have to be modified a bit more.

Ideas for mods:

1) I thought the new, bigger cockpit would have room for seats. I guess the disproportioned dimensions of the minifigs prevent this, even at this scale. I'd like to see some sensible ways to mod the cockpit to add seats. Seats for Han and Chewie will probably be easier, but the third and fourth seat will maybe be a problem.

2) I've always thought that the entrance ramp to the Falcon looks too plain, in both the 2007 version and the new one. That might be an easy fix, with just a few added smooth tiles etc.

The question I am asking myself is: is there value in keeping the Falcon as it is, despite the shortcomings? I think that there is, at least for me, because I feel somewhat hesitant changing the design. Maybe out of some irrational respect for the countless hours the designers put in.  

But after that initial thought I think that the designers would probably appreciate people further enhancing their product. That's the heart and soul of Lego building, after all.

Well, that got pretty philosophical. All a matter of taste and opinion, in the end. And, you can always change it back!

Looking forward to seeing all the cool modifications people come up with!

6 days on bag 12 now. Plugging away fun to build for sure can;yt figure out where to moc yet but I see an empty space in the interior bottom right side of the ship. No idea why theres no interior design there. Anyone else come up with something for that space? seems like a total waste not to build a room into that area. 

A simple mod to avoid the roof panels falling off when the falcon is placed vertical

look at the dbg 3x2 with round short side

36604001214_6722a25dfd_c.jpg
look at the yellow 3x2 with round short side
37266335966_0cdabc3413_c.jpg
this is what the parts do
37266335626_03c0f44825_c.jpg

The panels are still removable, but secured against falling off

On 22/09/2017 at 8:51 PM, Crzypengu said:

These mods are looking pretty awesome so far. I guess my problem with the set is the lack of detail underneath it more than anything else.

You can lift this thing to even look beneath?! Mine is still in the exact spot it was built - I can't find a sensible place to hold this thing!

Bag 13 is done

37078571530_221af5b4e6_c.jpg
and this panel is only hold by gravity,
37078573180_ddf975c79b_c.jpg
so i have added these parts.
36625550504_d308a4c55b_c.jpg
Then i put the panel in this position
36625551074_12f0bf0aae_c.jpg
pushed in his final position
36625551644_c3a559c182_c.jpg
the big panel is able to take his place
36625552114_e1d14e2849_c.jpg

I don't think my lego OCD could handle those binocular pieces being the wrong way up! I think one of the wheels is upside down as well, but haven't checked. I just remember one was the other way up compared to the others.

nice solution though. 

Hey guys, here are further small changes at my falcon!

gallery_8754_6681_82575.jpg

DBG area at the antenna was reduced and offset (small LBG wedge plate still missing!)!

gallery_8754_6681_21082.jpg

Changes in the front area (design by Marshal Banana)!

gallery_8754_6681_26633.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_34664.jpg

New engine section!

gallery_8754_6681_69720.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_34630.jpg

And a few tiles for the interior!

gallery_8754_6681_43285.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_60054.jpg

gallery_8754_6681_41916.jpg

Edited by bricksmarlin

Any more details on the engine mod? The one thing I don't like about mine, is that it's not curved enough, but yours has a good shape to it.

4 hours ago, will said:

Any more details on the engine mod? The one thing I don't like about mine, is that it's not curved enough, but yours has a good shape to it.

Yep, I will take some pictures! It's very simple and can be added without any changes at the falcon!

I took a short sign post that attaches with one stud at the bottom and put it in the middle section of the blue tubes to push against to give the engines a good curve

I'm on bag 16 and just noticed that piece you and between the mandibles isn't int he manual. Greta looking piece I need to add that! Can you list out the parts you used to make that? Looks perfect!