The was browsing Brickset recently, and I came across this. There are definitely some warning signs of Elves ending, such as this year being labeled "The Final Battle" and the sets being exclusive to Argos. I wouldn't be surprised if both it and Nexo bow out this year to make room for some sort of Historic Theme in 2019.

Although I haven't bought any of the sets, I think Elves has had a great four year run so far, and I can appreciate the sheer level of detail and creativity that go into every set. I remember how disappointed I was back when this theme was announced because we thought the sets were going to be Fantasy Era -esque, but it's really turned out to be a great theme. Do you all think that Elves is ending this year?

15 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

The was browsing Brickset recently, and I came across this. There are definitely some warning signs of Elves ending, such as this year being labeled "The Final Battle" and the sets being exclusive to Argos. I wouldn't be surprised if both it and Nexo bow out this year to make room for some sort of Historic Theme in 2019.

Although I haven't bought any of the sets, I think Elves has had a great four year run so far, and I can appreciate the sheer level of detail and creativity that go into every set. I remember how disappointed I was back when this theme was announced because we thought the sets were going to be Fantasy Era -esque, but it's really turned out to be a great theme. Do you all think that Elves is ending this year?

Well, I sure hope not. But I said the same about Nexo Knights, so . . 

That said, Elves does have one point in its favour; it has a summer wave. Only two sets, but it's more than NK's getting. 

I do hope it's not ending. Elves has really caught the interest of my 4 year old son (especially through the Netflix show) and we love playing with the sets together. Ive been collecting what I can, but I'd love to see more Elf characters introduced. Like the original Five Sisters!

Since getting into Elves, I have little interest in the Disney princess Lego sets that caught my attention before. I love the secret play features that the Elves line includes. The sets aren't just static buildings.

Well as I have just 'discovered' this theme and have 2 daughters (who have also forgotten their Friends LEGO in a flash) I am hoping this runs for longer.

The sheer amount of great design, great parts and colour and imagination in this theme SHOULD guarantee its longevity for a while. However the marketing around the backstory and Elvendale world has been scattered and fractured. This has not done the theme any favours, for example it has made it hard to explain to my daughters how it all hangs together.

I am hoping for another year after this. Two sets in summer is not the best of signs though..... We shall see. 

The signs certainly don't look good :( Either way though, I don't think the theme gets the credit or marketing it deserves. 

I was considering just getting the minidolls, bats and animals off ebay and Bricks and Pieces as what with the Harry Potter revival and the sheer number of Star Wars sets, not to mention the rumoured Cloud City and Hogwarts D2Cs, this year is going to be hard on the purse. But now I will probably just have to pick the sets up as this may be the last we see of Elves. Will have to wait for Lego to do double VIPs or something.

Eh, Elves ending is just pure speculation at this point--and that one forum on Brickset is really the only place I've seen that kind of talk. The original Brickfanz article reporting the new exclusivity of the sets in the UK doesn't really allude to the theme itself ending--rather it only mentions that the final Nexo Knights sets were also recently made retail exclusives in the UK. You can't take that by itself to mean Elves is ending. I'm not sure there's even a fair comparison there--whatever we might think is going on with Elves, it is not as blatantly obvious that the theme is not selling well, as was clearly the case with Nexo Knights. 

But, I've recently become obsessed with this theme, so I'm totally biased in my opinion. :grin: Other than that one supposed ominous set name, the theme looks like it's rolling along on track. We're into year four (already past the typical year three theme killer) and the total number of sets is on track to match the average amount from the previous years. 

I would be surprised if LEGO ends two action themes at once

I guess Harry Potter is meant to be some sort of replacement for these

I would also be surprised if this is Elves' last year. Although I don't have any evidence other than my own anecdotal experience, it seems to continue popular with both boys and girls I know (my own kids, their cousins, neighbors, etc.) We have a couple sets and MOCs on display in our home and every kid who sees them loves them. I think it will go on at least though another season/story line after Noctura.

It seems if any minidoll line was getting axed, it would be DC Super Hero Girls, which would be a bit of a shame as it has been a decent source for customizing minidolls for sci-fi. (That and the snow-themed Friends sets).

But, if Elves is on its way out, at least we've had a really good run of sets, where there have been way more winners than losers. Hopefully it would be replaced with an equally engaging minidoll theme or something. (Friends in Space :moar: ! Come on Lego, you can do it!)

My nieces, who were very responsive to the first year of Elves, have liked each wave less and less, and are now not very interested at all anymore.

Edited by x105Black

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

My nieces, who were very responsive to the first year of Elves, have liked each wave less and less, and are now not very interested at all anymore.

Maybe they just grew out of it? The same thing happened to my sister where it was just a phase for her. When she became a teenager she decided it was time for her to move on.

"The Final Battle" was for last year though, not this year. I think it was just referencing the final battle with Cronan, not altogether, since there is a fourth season after the final battle. And I remember some people mentioning:why would they create Secrets of Elvendale if the theme was winding down? Elves is just getting started! There's so much more to explore. I have no idea how well the theme is doing popularity-wise, but the story line has so much potential to continue for a long time. Aside from a few inconsistencies with the season 3 webisodes (which confused me greatly) I think the story line is brilliant, and some of the unexplained mysteries just add to the intrigue (or maybe they're waiting for a future season to dive into something).

So yeah, I'm going to push back on the doom and gloom with some positivity! :) Let's all continue to show our support for this amazing theme. LEGO Elves team, we appreciate your work and we hope there are many, many more seasons to come!

Edited by Elf Gal

1 hour ago, Elf Gal said:

Maybe they just grew out of it? The same thing happened to my sister where it was just a phase for her. When she became a teenager she decided it was time for her to move on.

Possible, but they are both under 10.  One niece moved on to DC Superhero Girls primarily.  The other enjoys Star Wars.  But you're right, the Elves fandom may have just been a phase for them.

In my opinion, the Elves will continue next year. Indeed, many people discover the theme that now because of the lack of advertising of LEGO which focuses on Star Wars and the licenses.

And it would be strange for Netflix to buy a declining license like Nexo Knight. In addition, the theme of fantastic animals can to seduce boys and girls even with mini-dolls.

Edited by Euphorine

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, BrickJagger said:

4 years is fantastic and the theme is a success I don't even think many of the classic lego themes had a 4yr running period but really it would be bad business to end it now considering they are still selling well even the older sets

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, rodiziorobs said:

I would also be surprised if this is Elves' last year. Although I don't have any evidence other than my own anecdotal experience, it seems to continue popular with both boys and girls I know (my own kids, their cousins, neighbors, etc.) We have a couple sets and MOCs on display in our home and every kid who sees them loves them. I think it will go on at least though another season/story line after Noctura.

It seems if any minidoll line was getting axed, it would be DC Super Hero Girls, which would be a bit of a shame as it has been a decent source for customizing minidolls for sci-fi. (That and the snow-themed Friends sets).

But, if Elves is on its way out, at least we've had a really good run of sets, where there have been way more winners than losers. Hopefully it would be replaced with an equally engaging minidoll theme or something. (Friends in Space :moar: ! Come on Lego, you can do it!)

well according to some employees at my local lego store DC Superhero girls has indeed ended

4 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

well according to some employees at my local lego store DC Superhero girls has indeed ended

I'm in shock!  I thought there were going to be at least three more.  There were some preliminary pictures of a Starfire flying jet, a Superhero Girl dorm room, and one more that I can't remember.  I guess they must have scrapped those plans :(

I've just done building Noctura's tower, and it is very cool! There's awesome color scheme clear and cold with strikes of lime sparkles, it looks rich and as always it is better than on photos. Wing flapping mechanism gives nice epicness to this not so large building, it works nicely but I'm afraid that chain may be weak.  I took some photos, but if there's already Ellie's review I think it shows features better. I just post some nice details from the set and comparision of fox and dragon.

I think netflix series are way more successful that previous versions, I also found lots of fan arts on tumblr. I just hope that story and world would became much complex than in previous year, like kind of teenager fantasy as HP, not too childish.

6c3881ea836620a1fedd227f2711ebdd.jpg

5bcd3f8bf5784cb5163d91f2b243e316.jpg

@Marishka thank you!! I love that you put him next to Thorne, I was wondering how they compared in size.

If the theme is dying in sales numbers (I hope it’s not) then no amount of marketing can save it. Lego produced a massive marketing push for Nexo.

8 hours ago, Bentonton said:

If the theme is dying in sales numbers (I hope it’s not) then no amount of marketing can save it. Lego produced a massive marketing push for Nexo.

I mean, Nexo wasn't dying when they were marketing it most heavily. All "big bang" themes enjoy heavy marketing in their first year (much more than is generally afforded to new themes. If anything, a lot of that marketing tends to be withdrawn in the final wave or two once the "writing is on the wall". You can see that with Nexo Knights already, with fewer books and less of an overall marketing push in this third and final year.

One issue with this approach from a fan perspective (though not necessarily one that has a major impact on sales) is that it tends to result in themes that start with a bang and end with a whimper, which narratively can be less satisfying than a sort of "grand finale". This can be seen in earlier "Big Bang" themes like Exo-Force (which didn't really get any story conclusion at all), Bionicle G1 ( the Ur-"Big Bang" theme, that only got a small range of diminutive tribute sets in its final wave) and arguably Chima (which ended in a standalone holiday special, with the final wave of sets based on pre-existing story material). The good news is that, set-wise at least, Nexo Knights—and if it is truly ending this year, Elves—so far seem to be avoiding that, with Nexo Knights featuring gold-clad sets depicting an epic final battle between the digital forces of Merlok and Monstrox, and Elves featuring a similarly epic face-off between forces of light and dark magic.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:30 PM, BrickJagger said:

Hmm, if both Nexo Knights and Elves were both ending this year, I'd think a new medieval fantasy theme was on the horizon too. But would it be only a single theme, given Nexo is a boys' theme and Elves is aimed towards girls? Maybe Lego has cooked up a line that would appeal to both? :shrug_confused:

On 2/9/2018 at 8:38 AM, Robert8 said:

I guess Harry Potter is meant to be some sort of replacement for these

Now that I suppose could appeal to both demographics, but being a licensed theme, that would rather suck.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, rodiziorobs said:

Hopefully it would be replaced with an equally engaging minidoll theme or something. (Friends in Space :moar: ! Come on Lego, you can do it!)

Depending, I too would be all on board for a Minidoll Space theme! :thumbup:

On 2/11/2018 at 6:06 AM, TheGlynreaper said:

Huh, I wonder if that would have more to do with the DC Girls franchise as opposed to Lego's own contribution to it. Are there any clues to how other products are faring for it?

Just built Noctura's Tower yesterday! Such an amazing set despite its relatively small size.

The other day I was also trying to come up with a custom attachment for Noctura's Tower on LDD (considering no such attachment seems to be forthcoming in the summer wave), and I realized that those attachment points on the sides might merely be to attach multiple copies of the tower together. If you arrange four copies of the set at 90° angles, it forms a roughly diamond-shaped fort with all four elemental icons on each diagonal wall.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:07 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Hmm, if both Nexo Knights and Elves were both ending this year, I'd think a new medieval fantasy theme was on the horizon too. But would it be only a single theme, given Nexo is a boys' theme and Elves is aimed towards girls? Maybe Lego has cooked up a line that would appeal to both? :shrug_confused:

Now that I suppose could appeal to both demographics, but being a licensed theme, that would rather suck.

Depending, I too would be all on board for a Minidoll Space theme! :thumbup:

Huh, I wonder if that would have more to do with the DC Girls franchise as opposed to Lego's own contribution to it. Are there any clues to how other products are faring for it?

This information is largely anecdotal, but the at least some of the DC Superhero Girls sets seems to be on sale pretty much everywhere I've gone, including the LEGO Store. Since I haven't spotted any new sets in awhile, I would assume it is ending.

To be frank, I have to lay the blame at LEGO's feet here. I've looked at the sets repeatedly WANTING to purchase them, but they were just too lame. The high school itself bring the biggest disappointment.

I know I'm not the intended audience, so maybe I'm way off the mark, but I think LEGO blew a lot of potential on that line.

^Super Hero High is probably the most played with set by my daughters- they are far from disappointed with it.

As for the theme as a whole, there are more doll ranges coming out, the animation is moving from webisodes to a Cartoon Network series with a decent writing team, the comics are still going....
The problem with the Lego sets so far has been that they haven't really explored the theme much & wave 2 didn't really add anything new beyond a couple of minidolls. Perhaps is they tied it in with the animation a bit more, they'd sell better

Edited by Toc13