Gadgetguy

Mindstorms EV3 reference guide?

Hello all,

Just got a Mindstorms EV3 set. Before I start building, I am looking for a reference guide, which would summarize all programming blocks and what their various options are.

I looked at several programming (and general) Mindstorms EV3 books - they typically describe the various blocks, but only to the extent required to make the point they want to make.

I have not found a complete reference yet - is there one? Where?

I prefer to read up first on any (new) programming environment / language / tool I start to use, so I would like to this for the EV3 as well.

Thank you for any suggestions!

T

This is probably one case where what you are planning to build will drive the learning. I have found if I can write it in suedo code then I can translate to EV3 (or realise it is beyond what can be done with the supplied software).

Blue Angel on YouTube has a good series of videos. Also the PC software tutorials are helpful in introducing the blocks logically.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I can of course do what you suggest. But what I have found working best for me is first reading up on what I can do (commands, syntax etc.) then when I build I know where to look. That is why I was hoping to find the complete reference first - so I can read it (ideally in a paper book and not buy looking at a bunch of online help files).

A sort of solution would be to export the online help files and print them - but I really do not want to do that one by one. Is there a way to mass export them to lets say PDF?

Edited by Gadgetguy

Hello. Have you tried the Lego EV3 Education Software? It's far better than the home edition. It includes a section called Robot Educator that is extremely useful as a star point.

Also, in the "Help" menu there a link "Show EV3 Help" which will open all the documentation for each block. The documentation is in HTML so it will be opened in your browser but it's hosted locally. That's why I can't send you a link.

As far as I know, to download the software you have to create an account at: https://education.lego.com/en-us

Log in and scroll down to the button of the page and look for: Helpful links >> Download your software

The main/basic software is free.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely check out the education software. For now I copied the help files into a word file and then saved as PDF - that gives me a printable more or less complete reference. 

LucyCol's suggestion is good. I am an experienced programmer and they helped make the transition to 'block programming'.

Ed