o0ger

[MOC] YT-1450 Light Freighter - "The Nadir"

The YT-1450 model was conceived mainly for hauling large cargo crates by connecting them to the hull between the two forward mandibles. This was a feature not frequently used on earlier models, such as the YT-1300, but there still existed a market demand for these types of ships. The YT-1450 standard model comes equipped with a forward pointing tractor beam projector, placed between the large mandibles. Somewhat unique for this YT model is the side mounted rotating cockpit that gives the pilot a great overview of the ship and the cargo during flight.

"The Nadir" is, as many other YT class ships, greatly modified. In particular for getting large cargo shipments out of tough situations. An oversized shield generator has been fitted to one of the mandibles. This gives The Nadir the possibility to shield both the ship and the cargo. To be able to blast through blockades, a double turbo laser battery has replaced one of the docking ports. Almost all of the long-range sensors and communication equipment have been upgraded and switched out during the years. 
--------------------------------------
This is my entry in the Rebrick FREIGHTER WARS contest. 

The design is completely my own. It's a mix of the Millennium Falcon and a ship I've been thinking about building for a long time. Hope you like it!

YT-1450 Light Freighter - "The Nadir"

Hey man!  That's a gorgeous ship, I love the overall design.  You definitely stayed true to the overall YT design, but it's unique and sleek!  The dual cannon emplacements look fantastic, as does the cockpit area.  Do they both actually rotate?  I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy the use of the half-circle tiles on top of the large dish on the top of the ship (the color scheme overall and the greebling both are outstanding).  Can I be super weird and ask for a shot of the bottom of the ship?  It looks like you've finished that off as well, and it'd be a shame for it to go to waste!  :)  I checked your Flickr and didn't see it there.

Thanks for posting the Nadir, I hope you do well in the contest! :)

Great mix between classic and original design, I love it! 

But I must be blind, where is the Cockpit exactly? Also its kinda hard to imagine the scale of the ship, would it be considerably smaller compared to the Millenium Falcon (kinda like an A-Wing?) or something inbetween?

4 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Hey man!  That's a gorgeous ship, I love the overall design.  You definitely stayed true to the overall YT design, but it's unique and sleek!  The dual cannon emplacements look fantastic, as does the cockpit area.  Do they both actually rotate?  I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy the use of the half-circle tiles on top of the large dish on the top of the ship (the color scheme overall and the greebling both are outstanding).  Can I be super weird and ask for a shot of the bottom of the ship?  It looks like you've finished that off as well, and it'd be a shame for it to go to waste!  :)  I checked your Flickr and didn't see it there.

Thanks for posting the Nadir, I hope you do well in the contest! :)

Thanks! Well, the cockpit and the cannon does not actually rotate in this model. You have to use your imagination I guess. The bottom of the ship is not completely closed. There is mostly tiles and openings. Not much to see actually.

2 minutes ago, BigEl said:

Great mix between classic and original design, I love it! 

But I must be blind, where is the Cockpit exactly? Also its kinda hard to imagine the scale of the ship, would it be considerably smaller compared to the Millenium Falcon (kinda like an A-Wing?) or something inbetween?

Thanks BigEl!

Well, the cockpit is the black cone on the side. I guess this ship is about the same size as the MF. (hint: this MOC is not Minifig scale)

Edited by o0ger

blown away! 

Like the way the cockpit blends into the other panels. 

The guns mounted to the docking ring seems like a legitimate added option. 

I like the use of the skis on the gun turrets. 

Great model. 

Steve

5 minutes ago, o0ger said:

Thanks! Well, the cockpit and the cannon does not actually rotate in this model. You have to use your imagination I guess. The bottom of the ship is not completely closed. There is mostly tiles and openings. Not much to see actually.

Thanks BigEl!

Well, the cockpit is the black cone on the side. I guess this ship is about the same size as the MF. (hint: this MOC is not Minifig scale)

I see, I thought that was the oversized Shield Generator :laugh:

3 hours ago, BigEl said:

I see, I thought that was the oversized Shield Generator :laugh:

:laugh: ok! no, that's the big dish on the other side.

Nice, well thought out design and a fantastic use of color. Definitely feels like it is in the MF family without being too close. Good luck on the contest!

This is incredible!! Really stays true to the aesthetics of the original films, and there's such wonderful use of colour and detailing :) That last shot surprised me with how sleek it is, which also feels very Star Wars. I can just picture a McQuarrie painting of this!

Impressive model. :thumbup: The parts use is awesome, and the design is very original. I must say, it almost looks too sleek and smooth to be a Corellian freighter... :wink:

Good luck in the contest!

Hey! thanks everyone! I've been busy the last couple of days visiting Skaerbaek Fan Weekend in Denmark. (if you haven't been there, you have to go some day). 

On 9/22/2017 at 2:13 PM, gudetamago said:

This is incredible!! Really stays true to the aesthetics of the original films, and there's such wonderful use of colour and detailing :) That last shot surprised me with how sleek it is, which also feels very Star Wars. I can just picture a McQuarrie painting of this!

Wow... that's really kind of you. I looked through some of McQuarries work the other day and I think it kinda resembles this image:

588f77ba06fb8733901920dd3423ddd1.jpg

Maybe I subconsciously had this image in my head when I snapped the shot?

On 9/22/2017 at 9:37 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Impressive model. :thumbup: The parts use is awesome, and the design is very original. I must say, it almost looks too sleek and smooth to be a Corellian freighter... :wink:

Good luck in the contest!

Thanks! Yeah, I know. It's hard to build a worn down ship. I was thinking about maybe using some stickers for scratches and damages but I just didn't dare going there. Also, I think that not every pilot of a Corellian freighter are as reckless as Han Solo ;) 

Edited by o0ger

On 26/09/2017 at 8:12 AM, o0ger said:

Wow... that's really kind of you. I looked through some of McQuarries work the other day and I think it kinda resembles this image:

[Image]

Yeah ! It's just so fitting for the universe. If I could paint well I'd be onto that so fast!

The Nadir has now docked with a XL Standard Container and is now on it's way to deliver precious cargo to the other side of the Galaxy.

YT-1450 Light Freighter - "The Nadir" - Container Mode

YT-1450 Light Freighter - "The Nadir" - Container Mode

Swoosh!

Great design, excellent built, nice colors, and the containers add-on is simply fantastic. Congrats for this MOC 100% SW Expanded Universe.

Very nice and sleek design. I like the colors and the position of the cockpit and how the cargo is attached and everything, really!

Too bad your ship met such an untimely demise in the movie (which is funny as hell and well done).

Glad you like it! I think it's a great video with awesome animations, voice acting and effects!

7 hours ago, Cooper5732 said:

Do you think you could send me instructions to this? I'd love to recreate I love this model!

Well. no. sorry. I don't have instructions and don't think I will ever make any.

Edited by o0ger