notsherwin

Thoughts on The Last Jedi Sets

Hello, this is my first post! :) I was wondering what your thoughts were on the new The Last Jedi sets, and which one is your favorite. Personally, mine is the Resistance Bomber - 75188 (except for the steep price...) Anyways, thanks!

75188.jpeg

My personal favorite is without a doubt (not sure if this would count) the UCS(?) BB-8.

That droid is my favorite character in all of Star Wars. I would buy the set in a heartbeat.

12 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

My personal favorite is without a doubt (not sure if this would count) the UCS(?) BB-8.

That droid is my favorite character in all of Star Wars. I would buy the set in a heartbeat.

Awesome! I really love the design of that set!

My favourite is the resistance bomber too and in my opinion the only half decent set in this wave. They’re all pretty disappointing especially the First Order Walker which is lacking in size and playability for an £130 set. 

I don't mind any of the vehicles, but I find the Lego incarnations over priced and too "studdy". It looks like a directive came from head office to have more visible studs so where there could be smooth surfaces that would add to the realism (without loosing all studs that identify sets as Lego) they just put regular plates. The gorrilla walker is particularly aflicted. I guess that opens them up to modification, but it's a bit annoying. That plus the prices has put me off so far.

I just ordered the Star Destroyer. I think it looks like a nicer set than people have been giving it credit for. And you can get it NIB on eBay at a $30 discount all day long.

Edited by Nat
typo

The whole line in itself is just overpriced. And I'm not saying this in an "it was all better in the past" way, it's objectively, even compared to the previous waves overpriced.

That said, I surprised myself with a Silencer for my Bday using some VIP points. That way it was ok. But - sorry for repeating myself - the full price is appalling, and the underside and back of the ship are very unrefined in my opinion. Haven't seen the source material of course, but I can't imagine it would be close to those chunks of linear surfaces at the back.

This wave has a few nice sets, (BB8 as mentioned, the Bomber) but I only recommend buying at a discounted price.

Yeah none of the sets interest me really mainly due to the price. To be honest as well I want to wait to see the movie first. I'm also purchasing a fair few of the R1 sets on a discount as I think they look really cool. The TLJ set that will be a must-buy will obviously be the Luke one coming next year (come on, we all know it's coming lol).

I think they are way overpriced for what you get. The Y-Wing is one of the more iconic vehicles in SW lore and at 691 pieces is $59.99. The Resistance Bomber is 780 pieces and is $109.99. Less than 100 pieces and nearly double the price? :hmpf_bad: If the Resistance Bomber was $10-$15 more than the Y-Wing I'd consider it, but for what you get and the price, no way. I think they'll price themselves out of a lot opportunities as most parents are going to look at getting 1 ship for >$100 and not want to spend that much.

I'll wait for Yoda's hut and spend money on that but otherwise a lot of the upcoming sets seem pretty lackluster. I was thrilled to get the 4 Bounty Hunters in an inexpensive pack, but it seems like on the flip side they've moved a lot of other sets much too high. Personally I think AFOLs are more tied to OT or Prequels (ewww) so the market isn't as strong for TLJ sets as there is no nostalgia factor at play.

And another problem, is that unlike The Force Awakens and Rogue One, we've only seen one trailer, and in that trailer, we didn't really see much of any of these sets. It is kind of hard to get excited for sets we've barely seen in action at all. In the case of TFA and RO we'd seen at least two trailers and some clips, so even with unfamiliar designs like Rey's Speeder and Imperial Hovertank, even seeing them in action during the trailers made them desirable.

15 minutes ago, Kodan Black said:

I think they are way overpriced for what you get. The Y-Wing is one of the more iconic vehicles in SW lore and at 691 pieces is $59.99. The Resistance Bomber is 780 pieces and is $109.99. Less than 100 pieces and nearly double the price? :hmpf_bad: If the Resistance Bomber was $10-$15 more than the Y-Wing I'd consider it, but for what you get and the price, no way. I think they'll price themselves out of a lot opportunities as most parents are going to look at getting 1 ship for >$100 and not want to spend that much.

I'll wait for Yoda's hut and spend money on that but otherwise a lot of the upcoming sets seem pretty lackluster. I was thrilled to get the 4 Bounty Hunters in an inexpensive pack, but it seems like on the flip side they've moved a lot of other sets much too high. Personally I think AFOLs are more tied to OT or Prequels (ewww) so the market isn't as strong for TLJ sets as there is no nostalgia factor at play.

To be fair, the Resistance Bomber has quite a lot of printed pieces, so relative to other sets a higher price per part ratio seems in line. Too bad its just too much more for me personally, but there is definitely some potential in desirable sets from Last Jedi.

The Bomber for one when its on sale and if it has some great scenes in the movie and Minifigs like Old Luke and new First Order Guys!

At 15 cents per piece the extra 90 pieces gains $13.50 so it moves from a $60 set to a $75 set. Toss in the difference of some printed parts and you could put it at $80 and be justified. But I can't find $30 more in the set. It just doesn't seem to add up. It isn't a generational thing of moving from non-printed legs/back to now having all that or some other technological leap. I'll honestly be surprised if the Bomber sells well given the price.

13 hours ago, brobert said:

The whole line in itself is just overpriced. And I'm not saying this in an "it was all better in the past" way, it's objectively, even compared to the previous waves overpriced.

That said, I surprised myself with a Silencer for my Bday using some VIP points. That way it was ok. But - sorry for repeating myself - the full price is appalling, and the underside and back of the ship are very unrefined in my opinion. Haven't seen the source material of course, but I can't imagine it would be close to those chunks of linear surfaces at the back.

This wave has a few nice sets, (BB8 as mentioned, the Bomber) but I only recommend buying at a discounted price.

Unfortunately so, this is true. I enjoy many of the sets in this wave (Bomber, specifically interior of star destroyer, BB-8, etc.) but I do wish the prices for the sets were lower.

2 hours ago, Nat said:

All you guys are talking about is the pricing which is a boring AF topic.

No one asked your opinion nat.

For the sake of a different opinion ill say that the bigger 3 sets are really good. The star destroyer and the bomber are amazing and have a lot of play and display value. Out of all three force Friday waves, my favourite sets (not counting sets that existed in the OT) would be the U wing and hovertank by far and the FO troop transport which all had very strong reasons to make them likeable sets. While imo the star destroyer and bomber are very pleasing to look at, the star destroyer needed better Canon details and mechanisms and both sets needed to be scaled better. I just managed to get the dropship with AT-OT set and it towers both these sets but isn't as smooth or sturdy when compared to modern sets. So really it's not the wave, but more of the source material and lego just compensating piece count with set durability. I believe this will be a wave where the winter wave e Will hold better sets, if not then well we may get some good PT sets this summer :D

1 hour ago, SCREDEYE said:

For the sake of a different opinion ill say that the bigger 3 sets are really good. The star destroyer and the bomber are amazing and have a lot of play and display value. Out of all three force Friday waves, my favourite sets (not counting sets that existed in the OT) would be the U wing and hovertank by far and the FO troop transport which all had very strong reasons to make them likeable sets. While imo the star destroyer and bomber are very pleasing to look at, the star destroyer needed better Canon details and mechanisms and both sets needed to be scaled better. I just managed to get the dropship with AT-OT set and it towers both these sets but isn't as smooth or sturdy when compared to modern sets. So really it's not the wave, but more of the source material and lego just compensating piece count with set durability. I believe this will be a wave where the winter wave e Will hold better sets, if not then well we may get some good PT sets this summer :D

Well, the display value of the Destroyer is questionable, with that flat bottom...on the other hand at least it doesn't need a stand. I am actually quite glad that I don't like most of this wave's sets,(even more glad is my fiancee :D) because I'm starting to outgrow my apartment with LEGO :cry_happy: But the bomber will fit for sure once a bigger discount is available :devil:

The TIE is the only interesting set in my opinion. I don't get this love for the bomber, it just looks plain and boring to me and the colour scheme is that weird grey and blue from the X-Wings.

I'll pick up the TIE and BB-8 when they're on sale. Maybe the AT-M6 if it's awesome in the movie.