Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[WIP] Myzec Throne Room - WIP/Build Log

So I thought I might try something a bit different - rather than posting a finished MOC and receiving comments on the finished product, I thought I might try a WIP/build log and hopefully get some advice from you guys along the way. Also I thought some people may find a build log interesting?

Anyway, I was supposed to whip up a quick build of my sig-fig, Colonel Dirk Allcock leaving Myzectlan. It was supposed to be a quick build for story advancement purposes. I had the idea of him speaking to the leader of the Myzec, High Priestess Zia in a sort of throne room.

While looking for some inspiration on the internet, I found this image which almost perfectly depicts what I'd like to build:

37174389081_15b8ffa0b8.jpg

Problem is I'm not sure I can do it justice and need some help!

And here is my starting point:

36519318913_83d99f1838.jpg

The area is a 20x40 base. The green section at the end will have some background vegetation and I plan on taking the shot front on, no angle.

And some progress:

36934567460_7e190ec2ab.jpg

On reflection I am not sure about the dark tan additions to the flooring, I am however very happy with the SNOT splinter pattern. I am thinking that I will probably replace the dark tan with a mixture of dark green and olive green to match the columns. Thoughts? Circles are hard!

Also the throne - I've experimented with various ways of trying to portray the circle part without any satisfying results, does anyone have any suggestions?

The columns will likely extend the same height as the are now up with a flat roof on top in light bley with dark/olive green highlights and maybe some vegetation. The idea is the Myzec like their buildings to 'become one' with the life giving jungle. 

Any advice/comments/criticism most welcome!

EDIT: LINKS TO UPDATES

Update One

Edited by Ayrlego

Great idea, Ayrlego. And I am liking that photo, although I don't dare think what you have found on the Web searching for native Queen in throne room... :P

The flooring is looking nice, and I quite like the dark tan, although the green shades might look even better. The columns are looking nice too.

For the round parts of the throne, how about some snot work? I am thinking about the large curved pieces (a bent brick, the whole quarter curve measuring 4x4, I thibk) that I would call "well-pieces". I could see them raised up behind her with some golden 1x1 round tiles or rings for ornaments. Might be too large, though.

Looking forward to seeing where you will be going with this!

53 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

On reflection I am not sure about the dark tan additions to the flooring, I am however very happy with the SNOT splinter pattern. I am thinking that I will probably replace the dark tan with a mixture of dark green and olive green to match the columns. Thoughts?

I like the dark tan. I think dark green would be too dark. But adding some olive would be good.

54 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

So I thought I might try something a bit different - rather than posting a finished MOC and receiving comments on the finished product, I thought I might try a WIP/build log and hopefully get some advice from you guys along the way.

Not to spoil stuff in the works... :wink: ...but you've stumbled onto a component of the Skill tree we hope to have ready later this year. Shh. Don't tell anyone. :pir-grin:

Well, personally, I think we should be coming to you for building advice, instead of vice versa, but whatever.

i like the dark tan in the flooring. The only thing I would suggest is make the base a little larger, and put foliage on the outer edge of the columns.

I am not too sure abot the totally cracked floor for a throne-room.

Personally I THINK I would much more prefer a solid flor, which has only few cracks and scratches which came during the centuries of decay. Like it was once perfect, but now is no longer.
Technique would be solid grey layer at the bottom and a layer with sloped bricks which leave a small space between them (like a 1x3 inverted slope on top of a 1x2 slope). Rather layer some dirt on top of that I suggest. Do you get what I mean or should I post a quick pic? Might also be a cool way to display both present and past with a small adaption to the MOC?

Also would they have cats at the throne right now or only in the depiction of the past?

Well, I would join Elostirion on his comment for the floor. I am not really sure a cracked floor is a good idea for a throne place. Perhaps trying some motives or mosaics but, of course slightly damaged by the time and the jungle work. :pir-laugh:

finally, for the throne itself, I would go to a brick build ring with brick or plate hinges, like 6011459 and its counter part. I saw a great round ring in space sub forum where the builder had made an excellent round portal, something like the stargate, if you see what I mean. Well, I will try to find out the link of the portal ring I saw there. 

But I am sure you shouldn't need advice from us, as IMO, you're one of the best builders in BOBS. Keep up the great job ! :laugh::thumbup:

Just now, Faladrin said:

I saw a great round ring in space sub forum where the builder had made an excellent round portal, something like the stargate

Ooh, yes! I've seen that and copied it for a stargate of my own (see here and here).

Thanks for the detailed feed back all,

here is an update from last night (before I saw the majority of these comments!)

36539412543_ddf7aebb03_z.jpg

37351981145_5fdcffca4b_z.jpg

21 hours ago, Bregir said:

although I don't dare think what you have found on the Web searching for native Queen in throne room

actually I typed Aztec Queen and she was one of the first hits!

2 hours ago, Mesabi said:

and put foliage on the outer edge of the columns.

I did consider this, it's a good idea. I'm going to try and twist some vines around some of the colomns and see how that looks. If I think it looks like I need more greenery, this will definitely be an option!

1 hour ago, Elostirion said:

Technique would be solid grey layer at the bottom and a layer with sloped bricks which leave a small space between them (like a 1x3 inverted slope on top of a 1x2 slope).

I think I get what you mean, similar to the SNOT work now, but with the slopes mostly joined with only the small cracks exposed on the sloping edge of the bricks?

1 hour ago, Elostirion said:

Also would they have cats at the throne right now or only in the depiction of the past?

I like the idea of including cats, but the Lego cat doesn't really allow a seated pose. I'm experimenting with different ways of displaying it but if I can't find one I like I'll probably leave it out...

45 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Perhaps trying some motives or mosaics

:thumbup: this was my first idea and one that I now may be revisiting! I was going to have a relatively flat floor and use cheese slopes to make som mosaics.

I still like the current floor, but now am torn about what to do!!!!

45 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

something like the stargate

exactly what I had in mind when I first saw the inspiration pic! I first tried this:

30717305264_ed71285a2d.jpg

Dodecagon by Péter Ittzés

But apart from it requiring a Bricklink order to complete (something I've avoided so far this month! Yep, I'm an addict!) it turned out too big. Hopefully I've achieved a similar stargate style on the smaller scale!

Thanks all for the input, keep it coming! Maybe we should have a WIP thread for buildings and landscapes similar to the shipyard thread for shipbuilding??? @Capt Wolf a skill tree sounds awesome!

Edited by Ayrlego

I would suggest doing only two tones for the floor, or at most three - I'm not sure the olive (and dark green) is an improvement (some olive in there, other than cheese slopes, might be good... now it looks almost as if it were built in rather than growing).  Those who have said that a cracked style for a throne room, even if native, doesn't make intuitive sense (although it could look great!) have a point... perhaps doing the lower, larger one cracked and the higher one with only a few aging marks (probably better aging marks other than cracks however - studs, grooves between plates and tiles, that sort of thing - to clearly differentiate the floor) might do away with that problem while keeping the coolness of a cracked floor.  It would also help make the perfectly smooth stairs more reasonable.  In any case breaking those up with some texture might be good.  I'm thinking of the stairs in this recent build.  The circle behind the throne is great.  I suggest trying to find a way to make the dark red flow a bit over the throne.

This has the shapings of a great MOC, that's for sure!

I have to second Kai: compared to the floor, the stairs look very smoot. Though I like both style, I would suggest going one way or the other :wink:

Still, that image is great and it seems you're doing a great job converting it into bricks, with the nice pillars and amazing throne!

Maybe a bit technically, but wouldn't it be better to extend the greeneey section somewhat around the corner? I'd imagine that would make taking all-lego images easier...

A bit late at the discussion but I wanted to compliment you on the building log idea (and the subject that you are building). One comment as far as the throne is concerned. Since the lbg circle at the throne looks a bit bulky (to me that is), you can try building it with lbg hinged plates instead of hinged bricks. I believe it would look a bit more up to scale with a minifig Aztec queen. In any case, all the rest are as always great and keep up the great work!

I think I like the bulkiness of the circle - it makes it look like it is carved from stone :)

Thanks for all the helpful advice and comments everyone. I have finished the MOC incorporating some of the advice above. I will post the completed shots in their own thread soon, but here is an overview of the build:

37251454681_3b3229eb9d.jpg

The completed shots are all-Lego scenes, so the green base plates around the sides didn't end up being needed to be filled with vegetation.

As you can see I compromised on the floor, changing it to just the one colour to help blend in with the stairs, but keeping the splinter mosaic pattern. The throne remained as initially posted, @blackdeathgr, they are actually plates not bricks, I just made them bulky to represent the stone overhang as seen in the inspiration pic.

Anyway, again thanks for the help!

Edited by Ayrlego