raised

Announcing OcTRAINber, the first contest by Brick Model Railroader!

On 24-10-2017 at 9:15 PM, alois said:

My car is 59,5 studs long over the buffers. Can I round it up to 60 or am I not allowed to enter it?

Can't you just lengthen it by 0.5 studs, by just putting the buffers on a jumper plate or whatever? Anyways 59.5 sounds an awefull lot like 60 so we are willing to tolerate.

I have always loved this railway gun. I built the Hasewaga model of it back in the 70's as part of a high school history project which I got an "A" on! This contest prompted me to see if I could re-create it in Lego. It's built to the 8 studs equals 10 feet scale that BMR uses. The prototype is about 100 ft long so this model turned out to be 86 studs long. I built in LDD Extended so I do not know how many parts do not officially exist after I white-washed everything in LBG. Due to the extra long wheel bases, I do not think that this would actually operate on a Lego curve. It would need some sliding axles or blind wheel sets to make it functional. It's about 1000 pieces so it would not be too taxing to build. I may make it some day as part of a diorama.

Anzio Annie 3

Anzio Annie 4

Anzio Annie 7

Edited by ecmo47

@ecmo47 Looks pretty good. I have a small suggestion to make. most of the railway guns that I have seen have the center section being supported on two smaller cars that make up basically large bogies.

You can see that here:
7306579458_db9c57508f_b.jpg

A similar solution would help your model have the ability to "swoosh" and be a little more accurate to the real thing.

Thanks, but the Krupp K5 is not that way. Here are a few of the prototype photos that I worked from.

k5-anzioanzio_annie_1-dd

Edited by ecmo47

Well, you have six axles per end which you could divide into three bogies. Pivot the centre bogie centrally to the body and use that as  weight-bearing and then have a leading and trailing bogie pivoted the same way as trucks ahead or behind the drivers on a steam loco. With enough articulation it should then go through an R40 curve, although it might add a plate or two of height to the finished model. Not prototypical perhaps, but functional.

26218073799_7061438e7b_c.jpg

Rarely seen on the lunar rails is the classic Space Train. This 69 stud long locomotive is an all-in-one train setup for transporting and launching missiles. Up front is the engineer’s compartment with full computer support to enable one man operations. Behind him is the electrical cabinet with satellite communications dish (PF receiver and AAA battery box). After the transformer is the crew compartment (roof opens for ease of access).

26218073359_23c82cd038_c.jpg

Designed for comfort, it includes a bunk, microwave, and small pantry cabinet. Besides the creature amenities, it has two workstations. The right side wall console is primary satellite and orbital management while the aft console is for missile operations. Separated from the crew by a duratanium firewall is the missile bay.

37940807506_a934f50765_c.jpg

Due to the need to launch missile from any location to reach the desired orbit, the train itself is designed as the launch platform. When the top hatch opens, the missile is raised to launch position while doors on the side open up to allow the hot gasses to escape. The locomotive is capable of carrying one missile with satellite payload at a time. Behind the missile storage area is the power reactor, defensive plasma cannon, and thrusters.

37993817031_cb61a6d046_c.jpg

The plasma cannon turret can rotate 270 degrees around and the barrel can elevate to 80 degrees. The main engines provide the majority of the thrust while cruising the lunar landscape.

37993815581_b3cec50296_c.jpg

37993815311_976890807a_c.jpg

The Swoosh

Classic Spacetrain video

69 studs long, Power Function equipped, capable of handling R40 curves, and the lights turn on too! Benny would so approve.

Edited by Feuer Zug
Added video

Only 1 day to go, is everyone going to finish their OcTRAINber entries in time?! 

All done. I'm looking forward to getting my life back again. Ha ha!!

It's been a very intense period of designing and building for me because I only had limited free time this month. I lost ten days out of the month anyway due to a pre-arranged holiday and other commitments involving family and friends, and then I still had to go to work, so I had to fit the contest around everything else as best as I could. Honestly, I've never been so organised and planned my time so tightly as I have this month.

All that said, it has been enormous fun for me to take part and I must thank all of you over at BMR for giving us this opportunity and incentive to build. This has been my first contest and I really do feel that the quality of the entries is incredibly high, so I will be interested to see how my efforts compare. I look forward to the next contest.

1 hour ago, Hod Carrier said:

All done. I'm looking forward to getting my life back again. Ha ha!!

It's been a very intense period of designing and building for me because I only had limited free time this month. I lost ten days out of the month anyway due to a pre-arranged holiday and other commitments involving family and friends, and then I still had to go to work, so I had to fit the contest around everything else as best as I could. Honestly, I've never been so organised and planned my time so tightly as I have this month.

All that said, it has been enormous fun for me to take part and I must thank all of you over at BMR for giving us this opportunity and incentive to build. This has been my first contest and I really do feel that the quality of the entries is incredibly high, so I will be interested to see how my efforts compare. I look forward to the next contest.

I hear you! Having only a month sure does bring a quick pace to the whole thing. It's very nice to be done with it!

I certainly don't envy the judges. A lot of great entries have come in and I don't know if I could choose between them!

Just a quick question for the organisers. Are you intending to simply announce a winner in each category or will you be ranking all the entries?

Just wondering...

@raised

... I was building nearly half night. My last BL-order just arrived last Friday. I will definitly be able to upload pictures this evening, but I am somewhat concerned about YOUR estimated end of Ocotber.

didn´t found any info. At what time (GMT) will you end contest? I am located in central europe, so I guess my "midnight" will still be in (hope so :sceptic:) ???

regards

BrickMusher

2 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

@raised

... I was building nearly half night. My last BL-order just arrived last Friday. I will definitly be able to upload pictures this evening, but I am somewhat concerned about YOUR estimated end of Ocotber.

didn´t found any info. At what time (GMT) will you end contest? I am located in central europe, so I guess my "midnight" will still be in (hope so :sceptic:) ???

regards

BrickMusher

Fair point, we haven't properly communicated this. If you manage to enter them before 23:59 PDT we will accept the entry. 

11 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

Just a quick question for the organisers. Are you intending to simply announce a winner in each category or will you be ranking all the entries?

Just wondering...

We will communicate about this on short notice, after OcTRAINber as ended! 

Edited by raised

Aaand this concludes OcTRAINber! Thanks all for your entries, much appreciated! We are truely astonished by all the great entries, and we know for sure this is going to be a difficult one to judge! In the next days we will communicate more about the scoring and the prizes. But untill then we thank all contestants and hope you all had a great OcTRAINber!

4 hours ago, raised said:

Aaand this concludes OcTRAINber! Thanks all for your entries, much appreciated! We are truely astonished by all the great entries, and we know for sure this is going to be a difficult one to judge! In the next days we will communicate more about the scoring and the prizes. But untill then we thank all contestants and hope you all had a great OcTRAINber!

On 07/10/2017 at 10:45 PM, Agent Kallus said:

@raised Strange question I know but when you say fantasy train, would I be allow to enter say a Clone Turbo train?

Awwh, I missed the deadline, oh well I'll still finish the clone turbo train but I won't need it to be so long anymore and swooshing in LDD sounded horrendously challenging anyway.

I suspect we've set them a real challenge to judge our entries. I certainly wouldn't want that job.

That said, it would be nice to know if there is some date or other they're working towards for announcing the results. It would be ironic if it took as long for the results to be announced as we were given to design, build and present our entries. Ha ha!!

Hey guys,

We’re working on getting everything squared away for judging. I would like to have this done by the end of the weekend, so hopefully the others will be on board for that too. 

Youre right, we have been overwhelmed with the awesome entries we’ve received. Thanks for making our jobs harder on us. ;)

We’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks!

Glenn