makoy

How to spend US $800 without buying UCS MF

Let's play a little game. You have been given US $800 to spend on any LEGO sets ever produced.

Here's the condition: You cannot buy any version of UCS Millennium Falcon but you have to spend US $800 or it will be forfeited. What will you buy?

You cannot go beyond USD 800. No discounts. The closer to 800 USD the better.  Please use retail price as reference. Don't talk about inflation.

I'm interested what people will buy in their dream list.

Personally, I see myself buying these sets since I don't collect modulars and it's a great way to bootstrap a collection. Something like this:

10243: Parisian Restaurant - $159.99
10232: Palace Cinema - $149.99
10224: Town Hall - $199.99
10185: Green Grocer - $149.99
10182:Cafe Corner - $139.99

Total: US $799.95

Now, your turn!

9 minutes ago, Hart New Bob said:

Do old sets count? (if the prices are known)

Yes. I did mention "any LEGO sets ever produced", so that includes old sets. 

Sort of a tricky question this late in the year, once I've already gotten many of the things on my wishlist!

For the sake of argument, I'll assume I'd be purchasing directly off shop.lego.com, just because shopping around for discounts or buying individual parts or figs off Bricklink is a bit more work than I'd like to put in for a hypothetical wishlist. Since I've already gotten most of the Ninjago and Elves sets from my wishlist, here's a list that'd take care of the main remaining Ninjago set as well as making a pretty sizeable dent in my Lego Batman Movie collection:

70620 Ninjago City ($299.99)
70907 Killer Croc Tail Gator ($69.99)
70917 The Ultimate Batmobile ($139.99)
70909 Batcave Break-In ($29.99)
70914 Bane Toxic Truck Attack ($49.99)
70915 Two-Face Double Demolition ($59.99)
70916 The Batwing ($89.99)

Total: $799.93

Of course, if I were actually shopping I might put a bit more thought into it, maybe swap out some of the sets for Nexo Knights sets or Creator Expert. But I already made it pretty close with this list and don't feel like reworking it at this moment.

@Lyichir that's a great list. If a kid is going to play with those sets, I'm sure that will be hours and hours of fun.

Looking forward to other people's lists. :sweet:

Saturn V $120

Old Fishing Store: $150

Assembly Square: $280

Resistance Bomber: $110

Kylo Ren's Tie Fighter: $80

Ultimate Battle for Asgard: $50

Plus some random $10 Brickheadz or something...

Gosh this little exercise made me remember how darn expensive Lego is! I had to cut Ninjago City from the list because of it's price dominating the field... I didn't even consider Destiny's Bounty or the UCS Snowspeeder either since they really really would have bumped the prices as well. I actually want in real life the top four sets I listed and now I feel a bit bummed to see all the prices added up! :laugh::cry_sad:

10229 winter village cottage  (99,99)

10216 winter village bakeri    (54,99)

6074 black falcon fortress.    (35,00)

6060 knights challange.        (22,00)

6067 guarded inn.                 (19,75)

6079 dark forest fortress.     (50,00)

6075 wolfpack tower.           (29,75)

10228 haunted house.          (179,99)

10210 imperial flagship.        (179,99)

7018 viking ship.                   (50,00)

7019 viking fortress.              (70,00)

Brickset price.               791,46

happy shopping ?

Death Star 499.99

Destiny's Bounty 159.99

Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon 99.99

A-Wing Starfighter 39.99

=799.96

Good idea for that topic. $800 is a lot of money and showing what else you can get for that amount helps putting things a bit into perspective. I am not a fan of that set at all.

Ooh, I love lists! I think I did pretty well...

I have a total of 795.93

76035 Jokerland-$119.99

76084 The Ultimate Battle for Asgard-$49.99

76088 Thor vs. Hulk: Arena Clash-$59.99

10259 Winter Village Station-$79.99

70612 Green Ninja Mech Dragon-$49.99

70620 Ninjago City-$299.99

70904 Clayface Splat Attack-$39.99

70907 Killer Croc Tail-Gator-$69.99

70911 The Penguin Arctic Roller-$29.99

Edited by Vindicare

Tens of thousands of parts from Bricks and Pieces, and a possible lifetime ban from annoying TLG with further orders.

@BrickbyBrickTechnic yours is over 9000 Technic pieces and about 14.4 kg in weight. I didn't know Technic offers that much value... not to mention, 3 of what you listed are quite big.

@xboxtravis7992 you have a little bit of everything there. I chuckled when you mention how expensive LEGO is. :laugh:

@Oniro nostalgia overload! 5 castle sets, THE Imperial Flagship, 2 vikings sets, 2 winter village sets and a Haunted house. If you can actually get the old sets in retail prices that's a lot of sets.

@AFOLguy1970 you also get 45 minifigures all-in-all from those sets!

@Vindicare that's an action/superhero-packed list. 

@dr_spock and @Gnac, while I mentioned you should buy sets from your dream list-- I think PAB & B&P is okay since you can get it from LEGO S@H. I average around 450 grams each big PAB cups, so if you're getting 40 -- that's about 18kg of parts, or even more!  :oh:

3 hours ago, makoy said:

@dr_spock and @Gnac, while I mentioned you should buy sets from your dream list-- I think PAB & B&P is okay since you can get it from LEGO S@H. I average around 450 grams each big PAB cups, so if you're getting 40 -- that's about 18kg of parts, or even more!  :oh:

PAB has a set number of 11998 on S@H.   :classic:

I don't really have dream sets but dreams of what I can MOC.

4 hours ago, makoy said:

@BrickbyBrickTechnic yours is over 9000 Technic pieces and about 14.4 kg in weight. I didn't know Technic offers that much value... not to mention, 3 of what you listed are quite big.

@xboxtravis7992 you have a little bit of everything there. I chuckled when you mention how expensive LEGO is. :laugh:

@Oniro nostalgia overload! 5 castle sets, THE Imperial Flagship, 2 vikings sets, 2 winter village sets and a Haunted house. If you can actually get the old sets in retail prices that's a lot of sets.

@AFOLguy1970 you also get 45 minifigures all-in-all from those sets!

@Vindicare that's an action/superhero-packed list. 

Heh, I'm all up to speed on Modulars & since I really only collect City and Superheroes. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't mind swapping a few for 10221 Super Star Destroyer. But then I'd have to take some of that money to buy something to put it on. :tongue:

If I had to spend all* of $800 on Lego at official price (no UCS MF allowed), then that would probably be the only opportunity to purchase the following 2 sets:

Death Star $499.99
Ninjago City $299.99

Total = $799.98

Just my 2 cents...:innocent:

12 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

Good idea for that topic. $800 is a lot of money and showing what else you can get for that amount helps putting things a bit into perspective. I am not a fan of that set at all.

True. I really want to compare it to a collection of things that you can buy instead of getting 1 single set. So far, I am enjoying looking at other people's buy list.

5 hours ago, dr_spock said:

PAB has a set number of 11998 on S@H.   :classic:

I don't really have dream sets but dreams of what I can MOC.

Oh, I didn't know that. S@H don't cater in Asia except Korea. :sadnew: I voiced this concern to one of the LCE managers who visited RLUGs in Asia recently and it seems that we are not getting S@H soon. 

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I'd buy 200 CMF bags (3.99 each). But only regular series :wink:

It made me realise that building armies in CMFs is getting more expensive! If you'll buy the old series in the old price at $1.99, you'll get twice the quantity. 

3 hours ago, Artanis I said:

If I had to spend all* of $800 on Lego at official price (no UCS MF allowed), then that would probably be the only opportunity to purchase the following 2 sets:

Death Star $499.99
Ninjago City $299.99

Total = $799.98

Just my 2 cents...:innocent:

I see what you did there! :P

I would go for ...

10237 Orthanc $200

9474 Helm's Deep $130

9473 Moria $80

79008 Pirate Ship Ambush $100

79007 Black Gate $60

9472 Weathertop $60

9476 Orc Forge $40

9471 Uruk-Hai Army $30 x2

79006 Council of Elrond $30

9470 Shelob $20

30211 Uruk-Hai polybag $4 x5

Spending $800 (pennies rounded up). There's no need to get Wizard Battle or Gandalf Arrives, and this saving is better spent on an extra Uruk-Hai Army pack.

Although I might swap 4 of the Uruk-Hai polys to get a Hobbit set - 79015 Witch-King Battle $15 just to get Galadriel, and have a dollar left over.

This is a hard one, should I fill up on Technic or Trains/City first? @makoy Would I be allowed to buy several of set 7499 (Flexible and Straight Tracks), but then sell the flex tracks and spend the money on some other sets? I only want the straight sections, as they're quite expensive on BL. I don't even know if this exercise is worth it though, I'll have to give it more thought...

@MAB bummer... I don't like that I missed all the LOTR sets but if I can go back to that period, I might use your list for shopping. You can make a great diorama with those sets! I also know a guy who is going to like your list, right @kaelthas?

@Hart New Bob you have a serious liking in that set to buy 8 copies.

@ColletArrow You can buy multiple copies but you can only buy anything in LEGO's list of products with set numbers. So selling is not allowed. Just want to make it fun and simple to see what else can you buy for US $800.