37 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale 1 to 5...

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 – Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Jay is the ninja of lightning and he's one of my favourite characters in Ninjago. I really hope the movie will keep the spark of genius in his character. Without further delay, I present to you my 11th RA review, set # 70614 - Lightning Jet.

36770697100_e3b818b61d_b.jpg

Overview
Name: 70614 - Lightning Jet
Theme: The LEGO Ninjago Movie
Year: 2017 (2H)
Pieces: 876
Minifigures: 6
Price: USD 59.99 / EUR 59.99 / GBP 59.99 / SGD 119.99 / MYR 299.90
Resources: Brickset

Official set description

Save Ed and Edna from the shark army’s crab with Jay’s Lightning Jet in this thrilling THE LEGO® NINJAGO® MOVIE™ set. The jet has a handle for easy pick-up-and-play and maximum swooshability, plus an opening minifigure cockpit, spring-loaded shooter and trigger-activated rotating electro-disc. The crab features posable legs, a snapping pincer and 6-stud rapid shooter, and the set also includes 6 minifigures with assorted weapons to dial up the role-play conflict.

• Includes 6 minifigures: Jay, Ed, Edna, Crusty, Jelly and Shark Army Thug.
  • Lightning Jet features a handle for easy play, opening minifigure cockpit, spring-loaded shooter, trigger-activated rotating electro-disc, adjustable wings and lots of antennae.
  • Crab features 6 posable legs, a snapping pincer and a 6-stud rapid shooter.
  • Weapons include Jay's spiked flail, Crusty's fish chainsaw, Jelly's stud-shooter and fish with extra studs, and Shark Army Thug's fish hammer.
  • Also includes Ed's wrench element.
  • Recreate and role-play exciting THE LEGO® NINJAGO® MOVIE™ scenes.
  • Lightning Jet measures over 7” (20cm) high, 17” (44cm) long and 11” (30cm) wide.
  • Crab measures over 2” (6cm) high, 3” (9cm) long and 4” (12cm) wide.

Introduction

Out of the 6 ninjas in The LEGO NINJAGO Movie, there are only 2 of them who operates flying robots/vehicles. Of course, there's Lloyd and then Jay. In the TV series, Jay is the one with the flying contraption when Sensei Wu recruited him to join the ninja team as the new elemental master of lightning. He is also the first one who ever had a flying jet fighter as featured in set 9442 Jay's Storm Fighter. So, needless to say, I am very pleased that Jay has a flying jet in this movie.
36971629906_c882d8e75b_c.jpg

The front panel showcases the lightning abilities of Jay and his Lightning Jet fighter -- but none of these are real. The Lightning Jet cannot electrocute you. Not even the minifigures. If it could, then it will likely get banned for being a health hazard. Thankfully, it does not generate static electricity even if the front panel makes you believe it does. False *cough* advertising *cough*. No, this is just all make-belief. Also, while Jay is shown here zapping one of the bad guys, it also shows how bad his aiming abilities are. At point-blank range, he can't even hit Crusty who operates the cute and tiny crab mech. He might even hit Edna who is being held captive. Just look at the trajectory of that missile.

Joking aside, the box art grabs your attention because this is probably the best angle of the Lightning Jet. With all those pointy things protruding from its wings - it looks weird and fun at the same time.
37161047975_2dc97bbc63_c.jpg

The back panel shows several play features including the stud shooters of the small crab build, the missile trigger of the Lightning Jet, the spinning mechanism on top, as well as the option to move the wings to change the shape and form of the jet by turning or twisting the wings outwards. Frankly, it looks weird when you make it like an "H" or "A" shape. Therefore, for the whole review, I am sticking with the "V" form.

37161047575_946b8e0c46_c.jpg

The side panel shows the names of the listed minifigures that come in the set.

Unboxing the contents

36971628016_2f4527ef92_b.jpg

Inside the box, we get 7 numbered bags, 1 plastic bag with the instruction manual and sticker sheet inside, as well 3 big loose pieces.

Instruction manual and sticker sheet
37161046965_3f03b9bc4f_c.jpg

The instruction manual is quite big - about the size of A4 paper. Like what I have mentioned in my Ice Tank review, the instructions are likely printed this big to make it easier for kids to follow the instructions. 

36971620196_0b08af9118_z.jpg

Then, there is the dreaded sticker sheet that I need to apply because I am using this set on exhibits organised by my local LUG... otherwise, I really won't put the stickers on this set.

Anyway, let's build! 

Build

I like to start with the preview of the each numbered plastic bag so that you know upfront how each of them contributes to the build. Do take note, that there are 3 big loose parts that are not originally part of the bags but I included them in the picture as needed in the instructions for each bags.

36971627166_1e1993aec7_c.jpg

36971626946_449cb726aa_c.jpg

Bag #1 content
36347284323_2ba9eecbea_c.jpg

There are several elements here in sand blue colour. It's always good to parts in that colour for variety.

Bag #1 build
36347283973_1ff7009778_z.jpg

This is the small crab mech without the stickers. It looks decent enough to be sold as a stand-alone build (e.g. polybag). Somehow, this reminds me of Mixels because the build itself evokes a playful and cheeky character. It comes with 6 articulated legs, articulated pincher claw, 6-studs shooter, as well as a yellow banner/flag that is connected to a ball joint piece.

Bag #2 contents
37161045955_c5f9da1d14_c.jpg

There are lots of good blue parts in this set and bag #2 will just whet your appetite.

Bag #2 build
36347283183_431c6eca69_c.jpg

This is how the frame looks like so far.

Bag #3 contents
37161045725_6ff1f06910_c.jpg

The best thing about bag #3 is that we finally get Ed and Edna. More about them in the minifigure section.

Bag #3 build 
36347281073_138443411b_c.jpg

The circular structure on top is referred to as "electro-disc" in the set description so I will use that term moving forward. I think the red round bricks are meant to be imaginary missile warheads. Otherwise, what those things would rather be? Confetti canisters?

Bag #4 contents
37161044885_58d1c96d85_b.jpg
Hmmm... nothing much to comment on the parts. Just look at the build progress below.

Bag #4 build
37161044795_554bb5ee5b_z.jpg

For a moment I had to recheck if I was still building a LEGO system set because over 80% of bag #4 are Technic parts. Just take a moment to appreciate that funky frame above. It can stand on its own!

The technic frame connects with the build from bag #3 to form a blue headless, wingless bird build below. That's really what I can imagine from the build so far. :grin:

36347279973_4ca08dd710_c.jpg

Bag #5 contents
36971623436_190a4b9d6e_c.jpg

Bag #5 build
36971619266_2b26cb1c00_c.jpg

Now it is starting to look more like an aircraft, less of a headless blue bird.

Bag #6 contents
36971623266_725e184056_c.jpg

We get 4 LBG space positioning rockets in this set. There are 4 blue tail shuttle as well, which is surprisingly not common.

Bag #6 build
36971622296_9bda6492d9_c.jpg

After putting all the bricks from bag #6, the Lightning Jet gets a more threatening look with turbojet engine on each wing.

Bag #7 contents
36971622046_3695d8f58c_c.jpg

There are 24 LBG antennae whip in this set. Isn't that a record for the most number of antennae  in a playset?

Bag #7 build
36324888574_3a72e76257_c.jpg

Here is the final build of Lightning Jet without the stickers. It looks just fine without the stickers and if I could have it my way, I would not have applied them. 

36971619276_c593df89d6_b.jpg
There is almost 100% symmetry in this build but the right tip in front of the cockpit area is a bit longer. I suppose these are imaginary turret guns for short range targets.

You can see from this picture that it takes a "V" shape and it's the most camera-friendly form. As the wings are held by ratcheted joints, you can also move the wings so that it could form an "H" shape or even an "A". You can scroll up and review the back panel of the box for reference if you missed it.

36971621296_2797040155_b.jpg

It looks awesome when viewed from this angle but the picture does not give justice to the actual thing. I like the trans-light blue pieces for imaginary jet propulsion engine as well as the guard flaps around it. You can sense speed and agile when you the Lightning Jet at any angle.

Parts

Below are the parts that are either rare because they are new colour or new print. Let's go through one by one.

37150809111_14e6e439b0_b.jpg

85861: Plate Round 1 x 1 with Open Stud - appeared in this set in trans-light blue. The other set where it appears in this colour is just the Ninjago Dragon Forge set
88517: Wheel 75 x 17 Motorcycle - Black - the only other set that has this part in black is the BMW motorbike.

There are three blue wedge parts in this set that are surprisingly rare - to think that blue is a primary colour. These parts are design # 43713, 43712, and 64225 which appears in blue colour for first time.

41751: Opaque windscreen in blue - also its first time to appear in blue!
11477: Slope Curved 2 x 1 No Studs - again, first time to appear in sand blue!
44676: Flag 2 x 2 Trapezoid - first time to appear in yellow?

18654: Technic Pin Connector Round 1L is aslo rare.

Of course, there goes the minifigure parts such as 93217: Minifig Hair with Top Knot Bun which appears in dark brown for the first time.

The other exclusive components of Ed and Edna minifigures are the minifigure heads, torso and legs.

Minifigures

Of all The LEGO Ninjago Movie sets, this has the highest number of exclusive minifigures. You get Ed, Edna and Crusty -- and you cannot get these 3 minifigures elsewhere, at least in the first wave of TLNM sets.

I love oldie minifigures so getting Ed and Edna is the icing on top of the cake, so to speak. They look quite similar to the TV version and I like that. Ed has the tools on his utility vest while Edna seems to be wearing a cross between yukata and restaurant uniform. Overall, the prints for these minifigures are excellent.

Crusty (the one with the crab headgear) might be a reference to Krusty Krab -- the infamous and most popular restaurant in Bikini Bottom in the world of Sponge Bob. But that's just a theory... a makoy theory.

Front view with head pieces, head gears and accessories
36324886624_4e6fffa5ac_b.jpg

Back view with head pieces, head gears and accessories
36971618976_85922af973_b.jpg

Back view without head pieces, head gears and accessories
36971618526_7e4bc81a53_b.jpg

Don't get confused with the minifigure images below as they are meant for comparison only. 

Comparing the movie version of Jay with some TV version minifigures 
36347282323_a14958f0f7_z.jpg

You can check in my Flickr album the back view of these minifigures with hairpieces and headgearsfront view of these minifigures without hairpieces and headgears, and back view of these minifigures without hairpieces and headgears.

Messing around with different combinations of hair pieces and head gears

36347281443_cd312ec8c7_z.jpg

The picture above is just a quick take on how the classic Jay head piece looks like with the new hair piece. I like that punk rocker look (3rd from left).

If nautical nonsense be something you wish!
36347284233_b8d00cf39e_z.jpg

Conclusion

Let me revisit the bubble graph that I used in my previous Ice Tank review. Again, different regions have different pricing strategy so if you like to see the other charts and data you can click these links: GBP chart/data, EUR chart/data, MYR chart/data.

For the USD chart below, you can check out the tabulated data also.

36976952341_7aafc7ac5f_o.png

The key take away from this chart that I want to emphasise is that this set has an outstanding value. Just look at the blue bubble hiding behind the lime green and dark orange bubble. It's one of the best value set you can get from TLNM theme.

For its play features, the grip of the jet reminds me of set # 70747 Boulder Blaster. I'm very glad the designers added this grip so that you can easily swoosh the jet around. It's not as posable as the Green Ninja Mech Dragon but it's definitely more playable when you hold the grip. While I like the grip, it slightly disappoints because unlike the Boulder Blaster, you cannot trigger the missile of Lightning Jet easily.  When you squeeze the trigger, it turns the "electro-disc". It looks cool after a few spin but once you've spun it around several times, the replay value quickly diminishes. I wish the trigger just fire the missile.

The build also has a great mass and volume that when you put it next to the more expensive Ice Tank, you would think that this set ought to be more expensive because it looks bigger and wider.

MBV_7419_

It is a great looking jet which strikes a resemblance to some superhero spacecraft named after a famous actress. It's hard to think of anything negative apart from fun factor that wears off easily. With all these positive things about the set, like the great value and excellent minifigure line-up, I will be shocked if it does not sell as much as the Fire Mech.

The Ninja Games: Mockingjay

36971620426_169c2d9eb7_b.jpg

Review summary

Playability: 8.5/10 - It is very swooshable but I don't buy the spinning 'electro-disc' on top. I wish the trigger just fires the missile. It's great to have a small Crab build for the bad guys to balance the role-playing elements.
Design / Building Experience: 8.5/10 - It's challenging not to get 'pricked' by those antennae but it's part of the design that makes it unique and likable. I do have a concern losing one of those pieces while playing.
Minifigures:  10/10 - Greatest selection of minifigures at this price point. I love that we finally got Ed and Edna.
Price / Value for money: 9/10 - Outstanding value that blows away both Fire Mech & Green Ninja Mech Dragon. There are also great selection of parts in new colour. 
Overall: 9/10 - If you like spaceships, then you're going to love Jay's Lightning Jet. The Crab build is also surprisingly great for such a small build. I highly recommended this set.

Good review! The Lightning Jet is one of my favorites of the new ninja vehicles, with great figs, a great function, and an extremely unique form factor. When I first saw pictures of it I was worried that all those antennae might come off easily but in fact they're secured very well. The function works great (I love how it takes a few moments to get up to speed or back to a stop). I'm not sure how I feel about that old Technic spring shooter, since it's barely integrated into the body and a very old launcher type but I suppose that, like my gripes about the Ice Tank's function, is just a result of me being so used to these functional bricks when used in very typical configurations. The little crab mech is also very cute!

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Good review! The Lightning Jet is one of my favorites of the new ninja vehicles, with great figs, a great function, and an extremely unique form factor. When I first saw pictures of it I was worried that all those antennae might come off easily but in fact they're secured very well. The function works great (I love how it takes a few moments to get up to speed or back to a stop). I'm not sure how I feel about that old Technic spring shooter, since it's barely integrated into the body and a very old launcher type but I suppose that, like my gripes about the Ice Tank's function, is just a result of me being so used to these functional bricks when used in very typical configurations. The little crab mech is also very cute!

Thanks! We're basically on the same page. If you own  the set 70747 Boulder Blaster, you know what I am talking about it being similar to this set. The old launcher seems to be an odd choice also because it's a one-time missile that is out of character for Jay. I think he should be more like a gattling gun user. 

5 hours ago, kaelthas said:

Nice review! I loved the electro disc design on top of the vehicle.

:laugh: Thanks. I'm not surprised about your remark on the electro-disc because our taste are somewhat at the opposite side of the scale.

13 minutes ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Great review! Those figures look especially awesome. Is Crusty's headpiece made out of the soft or the hard plastic?

Soft, like the Angler and Octopus.

thanks for a really great review :wub:  I love this set. :blush:

it looks like what a space set could be today: it looks cool, great design, a little bit challenging to build this for a 10 year old or so, lots of minifigs... great colors... detailed cockpit... what else do you need...

10 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Thanks!

Welcome

10 hours ago, snefroe said:

thanks for a really great review :wub:  I love this set. :blush:

it looks like what a space set could be today: it looks cool, great design, a little bit challenging to build this for a 10 year old or so, lots of minifigs... great colors... detailed cockpit... what else do you need...

Welcome too!

Yes, it looks very spacey, which is great. I like it very much too :)

This is most likely the most appealing set for me and it's good that the data sheet shows a good deal. Since you gave it 9/10 @makoy, I will certainly put it higher on the wanted list. How would you recommend the Master Falls [70608]. I'm thinking of adding it to a jungle themed display...and the pieces look harder to find colourwise. 

22 hours ago, Lego_Talk said:

This is most likely the most appealing set for me and it's good that the data sheet shows a good deal. Since you gave it 9/10 @makoy, I will certainly put it higher on the wanted list. How would you recommend the Master Falls [70608]. I'm thinking of adding it to a jungle themed display...and the pieces look harder to find colourwise. 

Master Falls is good if you  don't have the minifigures included in them and I think of the reason why it is relatively more "expensive" in my graph is because of those rare and new colours of parts included in the set. 

If you want to make a MOC out of it, just go for it. It is not the kind of set that will likely be kept together anyway. I personally will put it low in my list -- the rare colours are great and all but I find that LEGO is releasing more and more sets that reuses those new colours anyway. If you desperately need the parts, then just get the set right away.

I put minifigures as priority in my collection as I am not a "set collector".

I just love this set (but the whole TLNM series is amazing), the Jet is very unique, and the crab mech is one of the greatest creepy small build ever. :wub:

Though, I thought the Jet deserves a bit more sophisticated rear landing gears, so I made an easy fix, which still keeps the original handle function too. I will build my copy with this MOD, I think it blends well into the original design. You can check the LDD file here, enjoy!

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Very cool set. I was thinking about getting it (at first only wanted to save up for the Destiny's Bounty), thats how i ended up here on your review. Which is a great one. I think this will be a purchase as soon as i find a nice sale offer.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:50 PM, agrof said:

I just love this set (but the whole TLNM series is amazing), the Jet is very unique, and the crab mech is one of the greatest creepy small build ever. :wub:

Though, I thought the Jet deserves a bit more sophisticated rear landing gears, so I made an easy fix, which still keeps the original handle function too. I will build my copy with this MOD, I think it blends well into the original design. You can check the LDD file here, enjoy!

-snip-

Agree on the crab mech. It's really a great small build. As for the landing gears, it looks like it could run with those rear landing gears. 

Thanks for sharing your work. :)

2 hours ago, NotMegalodon said:

Very cool set. I was thinking about getting it (at first only wanted to save up for the Destiny's Bounty), thats how i ended up here on your review. Which is a great one. I think this will be a purchase as soon as i find a nice sale offer.

I am doing the same for other sets. Just watching out for a better deal.

Cheers!

Great review!

I recently built this set and am a tad disappointed with the disc spinner mechanism, which after pulling the trigger a few times, causes the bricks and plates underneath the spinner to start to separate. The black pipe piece that is used as a spring for the trigger also likes to come out of the mechanism from time to time. 

Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue, or could suggest any modifications I could make to hold the parts together more securely.

Thanks!

@JasonEffexI just finished the build, the black flex axle really tends to escape from it's position, but still remains there. I haven't noticed the separation problem, my best guess is, that the axles don't turn smooth (almost zero friction should be there). So the force You  add, instead of apply on the gears in form of rotation, will be redirected on the bracket (bricks), and start to separate them.

I suggest to disassemble, check the freedom of rotation. Although I have some Technic routine, I also had to play a bit to get perfect positioned the gears and the half bush on the cross axle. I hope this helps!

The clutch mechanism is awesome, simple yet reliable, I raise my virtual hat for the designer! :wink:

11 hours ago, makoy said:

Agree on the crab mech. It's really a great small build. As for the landing gears, it looks like it could run with those rear landing gears. 

Thanks for sharing your work. :)

Fun must be shared. :classic: Main thing that it works in real build too. I forgot to mention: the review is fantastic, love all the details and the picture's quality - thank You for that!

Edited by agrof