Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Quinn

[WIP] Robotech/Macross VF-1 Veritech Fighter - Minifig scale

I've seen a few attempts on the internet to produce a Lego Robotech/Macross transformable mecha... with varying degrees of success. After looking at a bunch of pics of other designs (especially one from Daikoncat) I decided to tackle the challenge of coming up with my own. The result was this:

477916.png477920.png

Whilst I'm reasonably happy with the balance between proportions and mechanics, there are a number of details I had to compromise on for either form or function. With that in mind, I've set myself the goal of a minifig scale version, that is transformable and in keeping with proportions of the original material.

I've started with the pilot/cockpit module... playing around with a few ideas. 

d0i-zzXoGyQsVqC67JJRUe2lSeleiFZZtIuMgZhWM4jLRAjOCsdu3DQ4Zqf6T1KnMcp-33qelnVJB4x7

The idea here is that the pilots seat will be able to maintain orientation in fighter/guardian and battloid modes. I'm already thinking of replacing the technic pins on each side with 3/4 pin (32002) and a thin 3L lift arm (6632), so that this module will fit inside space 5 studs wide. My thinking at this point is to make the cockpit and forward fuselage module with a central spine/frame constructed out of lift arms, pins and axles, depending on where articulation points will be. Unlike my earlier, smaller version, where the mechanism that mounts the legs is external to the forward fuselage, I'd like this to be internal in the larger version. I found a series of images online that shows the transformation sequence to Battloid mode involves essentially hinging the legs forward, having them attach to the nose of the fuselage, then detaching the original mount underneath and behind the cockpit. 

Minifig scale is about 1:42 scale based on height, 1:25 based on width. The previous version was 33 studs (26cm) long, making it about 1:55 scale. I'm thinking this one will need to be at least 1:25 scale which will make the finished build about 50cm in length, just over 62 studs. No doubt somewhere in all this I'll have to make the compromise in terms of form, function and features... but for now, I'll start with the cockpit and work my way out.

I'm also a huge fan of Robotech and I love Daikoncat's model. I have already collected all the required external parts, but I got stuck figuring out the internals. Would you be willing to share your LDD file? Cheers.

I'm more than happy to share the design. I did all the design in Stud.io, and published in the Bricklink Gallery. You can grab a copy of the file from there. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you a link.

I'd be curious to hear any thoughts on how to improve the design. It was a real challenge reverse engineering Daikoncats version from photos. To be honest, I'm not sure mine is as good as his, but his was the original inspiration.