paupadros

General Colour Discussion

One of the new DC Comics sets revealed looks like it has a new colour for the bat-pieces? I am right in asking this?

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

One of the new DC Comics sets revealed looks like it has a new colour for the bat-pieces? I am right in asking this?

Don't think so. As far as I can tell one has Warm Gold and the other has Copper Metallic, a color that was introduced in last year's Ninjago sets but has only been used sparingly since then.

37 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

As far as I can tell one has Warm Gold and the other has Copper Metallic, a color that was introduced in last year's Ninjago sets but has only been used sparingly since then.

I'm just glad that they did utilize it again after all, as it's strange that they have been using it so sparingly. :sceptic:

I love that we are getting these pieces in multiple colors though.  And the copper metallic is such a beautiful and underused color, so I'm glad to see it.

13 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Don't think so. As far as I can tell one has Warm Gold and the other has Copper Metallic, a color that was introduced in last year's Ninjago sets but has only been used sparingly since then.

I can't believe I didn't notice it! Thanks for the info!!

9 hours ago, x105Black said:

I love that we are getting these pieces in multiple colors though.  And the copper metallic is such a beautiful and underused color, so I'm glad to see it.

It looks quite nice, definitely a colour I'm glad to have onboard!

Thinking about Lego's current palette of transparent colors recently, the only missing shade I feel we may or may not need is a lighter counterpart to Transparent Bright Bluish Violet, a Trans-Lilac if you will.

By the way @paupadros, do you figure that this topic would be better suited in the General LEGO Discussion subforum, perhaps under a more blunter name such as General Color Discussion:shrug_confused:

22 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Thinking about Lego's current palette of transparent colors recently, the only missing shade I feel we may or may not need is a lighter counterpart to Transparent Bright Bluish Violet, a Trans-Lilac if you will.

By the way @paupadros, do you figure that this topic would be better suited in the General LEGO Discussion subforum, perhaps under a more blunter name such as General Color Discussion:shrug_confused:

Name changed! Not sure how to change it from subforum, though. About the transparent lilac, while I agree, I don't think the transparent palette needs as wide of a variety as the solid colours one. A new metalised/transparent colour (at least for me) is never as big news as a new solid colour. That said, an orangish red or a mustard yellow are still very high on the wanted list.

There's apparently a new pink color coming out next year called "Vibrant Coral". Haven't seen it in person but the image I saw of it from a Lego part database looked almost like a very vivid light red-orange. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the images so we'll just have to wait and see until it shows up in a set picture.

6 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There's apparently a new pink color coming out next year called "Vibrant Coral". Haven't seen it in person but the image I saw of it from a Lego part database looked almost like a very vivid light red-orange. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the images so we'll just have to wait and see until it shows up in a set picture.

Exciting news! The description sounds like a salmon colour. Eagerly waiting for more news :classic:

9 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Wow. :distressed: Did this part database happen to be Brickset, Bricklink, or elsewhere?

Brickset/Bricklink are usually update after official releases and can't leak info, so in this case it was rather something internal to Lego I suppose.

They continue to bring new colors, but why don't they bring back sand-red (now that teal is back, that's the next dead color I'm missing :classic: )

Edited by antp

55 minutes ago, antp said:

They continue to bring new colors, but why don't they bring back sand-red (now that teal is back, that's the next dead color I'm missing :classic: )

I'd love to also see the return of Sand Purple (a.k.a. Sand Violet), though I suppose that color has some comparable shades already in production (a.k.a. Medium Lavender and Lavender).

1 hour ago, antp said:

why don't they bring back sand-red

I'd second that in a heartbeat. That would be such a useful color for a lot of architectural stuff, red rocks, terrain and rusty pieces on vehicles.

Mylenium

24 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

though I suppose that color has some comparable shades already in production (a.k.a. Medium Lavender and Lavender).

That is arguably true for any new/ revived color. The bigger issue is, though, that you would have to get those colors out in sufficient quantities on useful elements. This is something LEGO has never been good at - a certain continuity and steady supply. E.g. for this Sand Violet to make a decent comeback they'd have to include it in each and every friends set or whatever, for a while at least and then bring out a Modular Building that uses it to get people to actually use it and build trust into the color's survivability.

Mylenium

2 hours ago, Mylenium said:

I'd second that in a heartbeat. That would be such a useful color for a lot of architectural stuff, red rocks, terrain and rusty pieces on vehicles.

I'd third it. It would be an awesome colour for buildings. While there are a number of colours that you can use, we lack more options to represent the different colours of real bricks that exist throughout the world, and sand-red would be perfect for that!

...even though I actually used dark turquoise for the roof of my Outdoor Store before it was brought back, I absolitely would've preferred them to bring back sand-red!

Edited by RogerSmith
An imaginative cat walked over my keyboard (aka spelling)

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Wow. :distressed: Did this part database happen to be Brickset, Bricklink, or elsewhere?

Elsewhere. But it's no longer listed there. I suspect they found some way to get info from the Lego customer service parts database beyond the parts inventoried in sets, but since then either that site has stopped pulling their info the same way and/or their source (be it the customer service database or otherwise) removed the unreleased parts from their database.

Here comes Vibrant Coral!

70828-1.jpg?201811200622

Besides that, some great new recolours in the newest sets and some new moulds (the curved 1x1 bow as the purple animal's ears, for instance :sweet:). Which are the best in these new sets?

7 hours ago, paupadros said:

Upon seeing it for the first time officially, my initial thought was that it could work well as the base color for a female counterpart to the Series 17 Retro Spaceman in place of Sand Green. :shrug_oh_well:

13 hours ago, paupadros said:

Yupp, it just looks sexy! :-) And they found a way to re-use the custom molded canopy from the Star Wars Slave 1 set... *giggle*

Mylenium