yoshi98bc

Power Functions Locomotives

I'm having some issues getting the correct speed with L Motors.  I've geared it 12:20 and still seems a bit slow for a diesel loco.  I'm buidling a SD70 with 3 wheel trucks.  Should it be geared differently.  Was wondering if I am doing something incorrectly.  Any advise would be helpful.  Thanks

I've a diesel shunter with a gear ratio of 12:12 and it works smoothly and rather quickly, so I can immagine that your locomotive is faster then my ...but also less powerful.

Maybe your locomotive is too heavy? :sceptic:

On my heavy, 8 wide/50+ stud long locomotive, I am using two L-motors with 1-1 gear to the drive wheels.  It is not a fast locomotive, but it is acceptable. This setup also provides more than enough power to pull more than 30 train cars that are as heavy as the BMR box car or heavier(http://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/2017/05/17/bmr-box-car-instruction-kit-update-and-other-future-kits/). 

BMR box cars roll easy with ball bearings! I have to but blocks on my track to keep mine from rolling off the table! :laugh:

19 hours ago, cgarison said:

On my heavy, 8 wide/50+ stud long locomotive, I am using two L-motors with 1-1 gear to the drive wheels.  It is not a fast locomotive, but it is acceptable. This setup also provides more than enough power to pull more than 30 train cars that are as heavy as the BMR box car or heavier(http://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/2017/05/17/bmr-box-car-instruction-kit-update-and-other-future-kits/). 

Which battery box are you using.

18 hours ago, ALCO said:

BMR box cars roll easy with ball bearings! I have to but blocks on my track to keep mine from rolling off the table! :laugh:

All my rolling stock have ball bearings 

My PRR FF1 locomotive has a single L motor.  I think it is geared 12:20.  It is slow but the prototype engine only has a maximum speed of around 20 M.P.H.  Pulling power is pretty good. 

On 9/18/2017 at 5:38 PM, yoshi98bc said:

Which battery box are you using.

All my rolling stock have ball bearings 

Battery Box:  I am using the AAA battery box with Eneloop rechargeable batteries for a total of 7.2V. 

As far as the bearings, that makes the rolling stock easy to pull, but the weight of the car is still a factor and all the rolling stock on a PennLUG display will be heavy because of the detail they add.

6 hours ago, cacg88 said:

Hi @cacg88! The link you posted goes to Flickr. If you want to post the pictures here, you can follow the tutorial below. It's not quite up-to-date, but the principle is exactly the same. We can then see what you have done to the Emerald Night, without having to click the links.

The picture you wanted to post was this one, I believe:

36980454690_ae96993ff5.jpgIMG_20170921_191758965_HDR by Cesar Cuevas, on Flickr 

People here are unwilling to click on unknown links as we have had problems with spammers, and so the link you posted could easily go to some malware or something!

@ColletArrow thanks for the message, I did it with my cell phone and I didn't realize it was uploaded with the link option until you post the reply, my bad.