Sign in to follow this  
Giacinto Consiglio

[MOC] Modular Tearoom

Here it is, my second MOC modular building, the Tearoom, scheduled to be built after the Elementary School. PDF instructions of it are available, contact me if you're interested...Let me know what you think!!:wink:

1.png.cbe6469dff3435b54bd4657e0d12d898.p

Cozy tearoom on the ground floor

2.png.76caaf885bc9b28dd702eb0a4e282d80.p

Vintage flat on the first floor

3.png.dff9e3be2ba12cf76c0d193a5f8a7669.p

4.png.b6de7db0af9d430fdf70ac60684d6696.p

Lawyer's on the second floor

5.png.ddcfcf0fb8dfac02afc113efbbdf14a9.p

Good! Good modular! Good colour choices throughout, really good around the rooftop with the Unikitty tails and koi fish! I admire the bravery, I would've never tried to make a building just out of Earth Green, a very difficult task, but you've made it look phenomenal. Really good interior, especially good tearoom, with phenomenal custom printed tile, I assume. There is one thing that bugs me, though. I was looking around the building for a couple seconds, trying to figure out if it was a corner building or not. The turret just made me think there was something more that you just didn't show. I don't know, maybe I'm a bit consevative on that side, but I just dislike that aspect.

Great interior details!

The outside looks good but something feels off. I think it's the clash of the black and red roofs, which of course make sense since it should be two different buildings. However the walls on the right side of the small building have the same color like the front of the large building which gives the facade of the small building the feeling of just being painted onto the large building. I think if the right wall were of a different color it would look better. Of course this only a small detail since the right wall is usually not visible.

Just now, peedeejay said:

Great interior details!

The outside looks good but something feels off. I think it's the clash of the black and red roofs, which of course make sense since it should be two different buildings. However the walls on the right side of the small building have the same color like the front of the large building which gives the facade of the small building the feeling of just being painted onto the large building. I think if the right wall were of a different color it would look better. Of course this only a small detail since the right wall is usually not visible.

I see...thank you for being objective...I'll try to improve it:sweet:

Nice work, would love to see it in real bricks. I usually ignore digital MOCs, but this shows some real promise.

I didn't realize that the right side was supposed to be adifferent building, only wondered about the red roof. Since it only houses the staircase for the green building, imho you could just incorporate it as an additional part of the green building anyway. Just change the yellowish/orange to green and they grey to tan, and adjust the roof accoprding to the rest of the building.

Love the tower, I'm very curious about the technique used to attach the plates with clip. I'm guessing they are connected to each other by a bar (two four legth bars?), and held only by the tan clips at the top and bottom?

On 19/9/2017 at 1:19 PM, RogerSmith said:

Nice work, would love to see it in real bricks. I usually ignore digital MOCs, but this shows some real promise.

I didn't realize that the right side was supposed to be adifferent building, only wondered about the red roof. Since it only houses the staircase for the green building, imho you could just incorporate it as an additional part of the green building anyway. Just change the yellowish/orange to green and they grey to tan, and adjust the roof accoprding to the rest of the building.

Love the tower, I'm very curious about the technique used to attach the plates with clip. I'm guessing they are connected to each other by a bar (two four legth bars?), and held only by the tan clips at the top and bottom?

Thank you. The white plates with clip are connected using bars, and they do connect bars too! Then they are held by the tan clips at the top and at the bottom. I must admit I like the secondary building just the way it is...I actually didn't want to use different interior colors just because it's a separate building. Even Brick Bank has a secondary building but its hidden sides are not a specific colour...

Very nice. The exterior has some very, very interesting details. Are there any more pictures?

Is there a history behind the second, thinner building before it was renovated to become the stairway for the first, larger building? How did the original occupants of the "vintage" flat access their home? Was there an exterior staircase at the back of the building?

The yellow building was the first to be built around 1650. It featured wooden floors and really small apartments with just a bed and a spire staircase connected them. It's still unclear why they built them so small, but they were probably used by merchants coming from overseas. In 1815 a noble family wanted a residence to be built near the seaside. The yellow building, abandoned and with rotten floors, was then deprived of its interiors and its walls were repaired and painted the same color as the green building, once it was completed in 1817.:wink:

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

I like the way you've done the turret and turret roof. Nothing I've attempted myself. Looks a good technique. I very much like the building on the left, the roofline and awning compliment the building well.

I agree with what peedeejay said above about the colour on the side on the building. If another building was next to it you probably wouldn't notice it.

The only thing about the building on the right what I'm not as keen on is the use of the yellowish orange colour. The combination with the grey reminds me more of an industrial building interior. I think I've seen the yellowish orange colour work well with white but less so with grey, think it was one of your previous buildings!

I like the tearoom interior details very much. Well done!

On 9/16/2017 at 12:18 PM, Giacinto Consiglio said:

Thank you. That tile isn't actually custom:wink:...As for the turret, you may be right, but many buildings around Europe have that sort of turret even though they aren't corner buildings...

I think the turret is fine. Outside of any other justification, Green Grocer had one so there is a precedent for using them in non-corner modulars.

I like the colors and the textures, the folded shower curtain, the parts use for the toilet bowl, and the sign.

Edited by gotoAndLego

1 hour ago, gotoAndLego said:

I think the turret is fine. Outside of any other justification, Green Grocer had one so there is a precedent for using them in non-corner modulars.

I like the colors and the textures, the folded shower curtain, the parts use for the toilet bowl, and the sign.

Thank you very much! I also had GG in mind when reading that criticism...:wink:

Did you not use the 1x1 bricks between the turret windows because there wasn’t space, or just for a different look? I also like your rows of studs out.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Great MOC. You've done some fantastic and interesting use of parts to create the realistic interior objects and the method for connecting the pieces between the turret windows is great. Its a very warm and inviting building. 

44 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

Did you not use the 1x1 bricks between the turret windows because there wasn’t space, or just for a different look? I also like your rows of studs out.

There wasn't enough space. I wanted to use different technic pieces, but they aren't available in white colour...

16 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Great MOC. You've done some fantastic and interesting use of parts to create the realistic interior objects and the method for connecting the pieces between the turret windows is great. Its a very warm and inviting building. 

Thank you very much!!:sweet:

At last I managed to complete it with real bricks! Enjoy!

25433569637_33bdff63fe_b.jpg20180216_163804 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

40304585241_eacfb876d3_b.jpg20180216_163933 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

40304559481_88024e06f5_b.jpg20180216_164122 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

39592919004_c513e579c2_b.jpg20180216_164052 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

39592928714_998790aab7_b.jpg20180216_164028 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

38495168260_5d1f895a1c_b.jpg20180216_164437 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

25433489637_18eb4e228a_b.jpg20180216_164510 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

39407162905_1022a128e9_b.jpg20180216_164457 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

39592879774_731ebc9d87_b.jpg20180216_164444 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

38495138960_31b561ea80_b.jpg20180216_164658 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

25433469327_df25849e54_b.jpg20180216_164737 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

26432024938_8e6d66a7f8_b.jpg20180216_165345 by bricksandtiles, on Flickr

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

Wow, that looks so much better than what I expected! I can’t wait to build and add this MOC to my near-future city :classic: Hope to see your other modulars built with real bricks too!