gudetamago

[MOD] B/SF-17 Heavy Bomber

Hi !

Here's a few mods I've made to 75188 Resistance Bomber in the last few days.

37261272445_872d09a535.jpg

36423304234_99027b0f5a.jpg

I first changed the engines to blue (I swear it seems like blue and orange are ALWAYS reversed on Star Wars vehicles!)

36420998424_0e9558840f.jpg

I'm not a big fan of stud shooters in most contexts, so I switched the rear cannons out for display ones.

36420997104_3659abbd35.jpg

I also wanted them to rotate together, which took some figuring out. I couldn't find a way to use friction pins to hold both cannons so I put another axle in with a little gear system like in Slave 1.  I went through a few different iterations but this was the most compact solution I could find.

36420998264_928d3975cb.jpg

I transferred the stickers in the bubble canopies to clear 2x2 slopes, and switched the brackets and tiles for a little more visibility.

37261272535_fbdbb36c3c.jpg

Shorter wings to be a little more in proportion.

36420996474_7521d0cd9e.jpg

The interior was already great, but I tiled over the floor and added a weapons rack.

36420997294_2297121aa8.jpg

I added a small ladder up to the gunner position and added in some more details and stickered controls by the gunner's hands. You can't really see them in this picture, though.

36420995694_c20123489d.jpg

The exterior of the turret is mostly the same but it was a great design to start with!

36420996124_39ca996714.jpg

For the cockpit I used a bunch of stickered elements from 75105 (getting slowly disassembled in preparation for the big one!) Snap is piloting for the moment, until we find out what the whole crew will be (probably not a bunch of X-wing pilots !)

36420995914_715b24a2a9.jpg

The rest of the changes are just minor cosmetics all over the hull, but I've already made this too long so here's just two more pictures. I didn't capture everything, of course !

36420997484_ac6b02b3eb.jpg

36420995624_bbb989a6ed.jpg

This is a really great set! It looks beautiful and is so much fun. As an AFOL I tend to just display things but it's impossible not to fly this around the room !

Thank you :^)

Edited by gudetamago

1 hour ago, neueruse said:

Great mods. Makes me want to pick up the set! Would love to see a shot of the entire ship.

I've added a couple more photos for you ! I really recommend it. It channels all my favourite parts of Star Wars design.

Edited by gudetamago

Amazing dude! The Resistance Bomber is the first truly new Design from the new Trilogry that I really really like. Just a mix of great elements both classic Star Wars (B Wing!) and realistic bomber design!

If only the price wouldnt be so crazy high.... but on Sale I might give it a grab and MOD in similiar fashion to yours. I can get behind all the changes you made, modifying a System Scale Lego playset into a pure display set is both a challenge and a lot of fun to design!

Edited by BigEl

1 hour ago, thelars said:

Hi gudetamago,

I really like your mod :) could you give me a list of the parts I need for moving the turrets together? Would be awesome, thanks!

I've never made a parts list but I've put together an LDD file of how I made it. Hope that will help you if you take it apart digitally!

Thank you! :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_rv63gxSOg9Q_wyJUcTKnh-9LSv-WFQh/view?usp=sharing

8 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Nice MODs, and nice photography, too. Portrait mode? Or do you have a tilt-shift lens?

Thank you!!! Nothing as fancy as a tilt shift, just a regular ol 50mm :)

Nice modifications that you added to the model. I am also modding my Bomber and will reuse your trick for the turrets (trans slope & synced rotation). I currently focused my efforts on the body wing.

Great mod! This is a set I desperately want, know I don't have space for, so i've been reluctant to buy. You might be pushing me over the edge of doubt :blush: