mdbz

[MOC] Cargo Terminal inspired by 60052

Hi!

When I saw the 60052 set first time, I knew that must build a bigger, motorized version. Hopefully it will be part of a bigger cargo area in my (planned) layout.

Operates with IR remotes and 3 m motors. All motors are protected by clutch gears.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Easy battery access:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Loading small cargo:

800x600.jpg

...and handling heavy:

800x600.jpg

Pallet area:

800x600.jpg

And a little office:

800x600.jpg

Working hard:

800x600.jpg

And some detalis:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Made a little video to see it in work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=9N42-b0nw5s

Fantastic build! Almost looks like a set. All the detailing is great as well. Any chance you'd be able to post a video of the functions? Thumbs up.

Any chance of instructions or an LDD file?

This crane is just what I have been trying (and failing) to create myself and it would be great to have one that works properly!

Thanks for the kind words, I am so happy, as all my concepts came back as comment.

@LEGO Train 12 Volts yes I tried, but the rotation transfered to the other side of the cane (and the winch) by technic axles, and the longest is 32 stud. Using more axles results in a bigger center (winch) section, but I wanted to remain in city scale, so rejected this. Other option was to skip the lifting potential from the road or the green cargo area, but I wanted all two :)

@Vilhelm22Sorry, it's built brick by brick, so no LDD was made.

Technical details:

There are 3 m motors, conected to 2 pf ir receiver (one receiver out isn't used). Each motor drive one function directly.

Motor A:

Moving the superstructure. After a clutch, there is a worm gear-24 tooth downgearing. It's provides enough torque to move the heavy structure, with proper slow speed. The real driver is a 8 tooth little gear conected to the long rack. The problem was the size. Driving the thing's one side was not sufficient, the driven side 'overtaken' the other, and the crane was falling... So, it was necessary to bring the driving to the other side, with one of the long axles. The two sides must be synchronous, for that the better solution was to bring the rotation with high rpm, and downgearing it on the other side too. 

Motor B:

Moving the center section. The clutch gear drives two 24 tooth gears (1:1), so the rotation's direction and speed is the same. The two lower axles with many-many worm gears moves the center section with the help of two little racks.

Motor C:

After a 12:24(clutch) downgearing rotates the 4th long axle. In the center section there is an other downgearing to slower the winch's speed. It's a 8:24. Essential to use here the red 8 tooth gear, because of the sliding ability.

I know this is an old thread, but my son and I just stumbled on this terminal crane and absolutely love it! @mdbz not sure if your still active on here, but if you are, anyway I can get a parts list? I can pay you for it! My son really wants this for his birthday.

Nice Terminal.  

19 hours ago, XGBC said:

@Jesse have a look at almightyarjens crane in his wip channel

XGBC

Do you have a link?

On 1/28/2019 at 11:14 AM, Jesse said:

I know this is an old thread, but my son and I just stumbled on this terminal crane and absolutely love it! @mdbz not sure if your still active on here, but if you are, anyway I can get a parts list? I can pay you for it! My son really wants this for his birthday.

I'm really happy, You (and your son, of course) like my terminal crane. It was a brick by brick built, sadly there is no any digital asset for it. I planned to make LDD file, and  - it seems the time has come - I will do it. But at first I have to finish my current work:

800x600.jpg

This is a totaly awsome build. I am very interested in the mechanics

This is mine:

DSC_1880.JPG

The longer I look at your Terminal, the more I like it.

Edited by mawe

18 hours ago, mawe said:

This is a totaly awsome build. I am very interested in the mechanics

This is mine:

The longer I look at your Terminal, the more I like it.

I built this crane as well in the past but I had alignment issues which caused the sliding carriage to keep getting out of align each time it moved back and forth, does your build work smoothly?  

On another note, I saw a great model several years ago where the builder had a forklift which came out of the warehouse carrying a log I think and loaded it into a train car, it then backed up and picked up a log and repeated the cycle.  The log somehow rolled back to the start again, but it was a great design.  I can't find the model now through the searches.

7 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

does your build work smoothly

I have no problems with it, it runs totaly smooth.

@mdbz that would be amazing! I started building one on Lego Designer, but stuck at the motorized part :( . Anyhow, hope you can provide a LDD soon :) seems like everyone loves your design.

Edited by Jesse

On 2/2/2019 at 2:11 PM, paul_delahaye said:

I built this crane as well in the past but I had alignment issues which caused the sliding carriage to keep getting out of align each time it moved back and forth, does your build work smoothly?  

On another note, I saw a great model several years ago where the builder had a forklift which came out of the warehouse carrying a log I think and loaded it into a train car, it then backed up and picked up a log and repeated the cycle.  The log somehow rolled back to the start again, but it was a great design.  I can't find the model now through the searches.

Is this the video you are looking for?

Here you can see more of the technical details:

XG BC

The work is awesome. I just got. my 80s Train up and running again with my son. He really is into LEGO. As he wanted a crane to lift up the goods onto a truck I stumbled upon your great work. 
i tried to reverse engineer it using the stud.io Design software. It worked quite well and I have finished all ground work and the structure but I have no clue how you managed to build the crane part. 
here’s how far I got. If anybody want’s to jump on I’d be happy to share the stud.io file.

60052 MOC Nachbau3 Kopie.jpg