37067109841_b5f04c8b44_c.jpg

The tales all tell about captains brave enough to challenge larger and more heavily armed opponents. And succesfully defeat those opponents by witty tactics and superior maneuvering ...
However, those are the tales. When you face reality, 
reality in the shape of an English frigate facing a French 64 gun battle ship that is, all kinds of heroics are reduced and everything becomes a simple equation taking into account the relevant numbers.
A bold move of the English captain but a stupid one, one full broadside of the French 64 was enough to blast him back to reality.

36811598090_56ba517516_c.jpg

36811597100_a869552870_c.jpg

A cooperation with Captain Greenhair.

Great vessels ! As always !

I hope I'll see them for real in BMA Antwerpen. of course, I would not be as foolish as the English captain to try to defy this French Ship of War with my modest Frigate...

Great job !

Thanks guys!

It was a fun operation and a pleasure to work with Stefan. We made a setup using a variation of cloths, angles and lighting. The smoke comes from my E sigaret.?

First off, e-cigarettes!? That's awesome! Who would have thought? The effect is perfect.

As to the tragedy of the scene, well I think you'll find highly placed fools in any navy, eh? There's just no accounting for "influence". I salute their "hearts of oak" for standing up to the odds, but condemn their captain for what ever ill luck or utter failure landed them in to such a mismatched contest, when other wise their fleet little frigate could surly have out run a SotL, easily.

On to the build now, do I even have to bother? I'm sure by now you know the quality of your own work and my appreciation there of. Simply put, they are both great ships. Obviously I love the stern gallery, ensign and extensive rigging of the 64, who wouldn't? Would love to get some clear shots of the frigate though. The smoke and shadow obscure her quite a bit, but I have a feeling that there's a finely built hull under all that.

On 17 september 2017 at 7:45 AM, kurigan said:

...Would love to get some clear shots of the frigate though.

Thanks, I was actually intending to strip the frigate again, due to the contest we rushed things and got this ship ready as fast as we could.

I want to put some more detail in it and do some proper rigging (the rigging on it now was stolen from one of my previous ships).

It will probably be one for next year.

I love the use of the cigarette it really makes the scene ... I remember as a kid reading model railroader and looking at pictures that were done with reds 

I hope one will forgive me from bringing this topic up again, but after some time of inactivity on the forums and returning once again I find myself greeted again by old veterans that were always such huge sources of inspiration for me. I am so very delighted to see you, Sebeus, giving us this beautiful cinematic masterpiece. Not only is the build of the fourth rate (?) absolutely astonishing (good god that stern) but the photography of the whole set is art in itself. The beautiful atmosphere, the tension, the smoke.. It all works!

Now of coruse I'm going to whine about the British getting beaten here because.. Well.. They are the bes... Not going down that road :pir-grin:

Well done and I'm glad so many of you are still alive, like Admiral Bejaune, which I came to know about when I spend ages on Classic-Pirates.com.

Kind regards,

Edward

Great MOC with awesome looking ships! It's a shame such a wonderful looking ship had such a humiliating demise though... :cry2: No way a ship that small would defeat a 64-gun ship, except maybe if it had a bunch of front facing cannons! Beautiful sailing vessels though!

Edited by LM71Blackbird