Hey Everyone!

Here is the successor to my Lego Technic Chili Crawler, the Cactus Crawler It took about half of a year of design and revision to reach its current state, of which I am proud of.

THE VIDEO: youtube

Features:

- 3 L-Motors for drive (two in the rear axle, one in the front)

- M-Motor and a small linear actuator for front steering

- Rigid, triangulated 4-link suspension for the front axle, with large, soft, black shock absorbers

- Extremely rigid 2-link rear suspension with ball-joint pivot point on top of the axle, similar to that found in the RC "Mantis" crawler

- 100% Lego-legal custom curved rear links that, with how the main cab is shaped, provide exceptional ground clearance towards the rear of the crawler, allowing it to climb up relatively large vertical structures such as street curbs

- Very minimal, light bodywork

- BuWizz for extra power and SBrick for a great, custom control scheme Note: By the time I finished designing the cab and it's battery enclosure, BuWuzz had not yet come out with the update for their iOS app that allows a single joystick/slider to control multiple outputs, so I was forced to use an SBrick with the BuWizz, providing the extra power from the BuWizz, but with the ease-of-use and great custom control profiles of the SBrick. When used with the SBrick, the BuWizz does in fact still provide more power than the standard Lego 8878 LiPo battery box.

- RC4WD 1.9" Krypton scale tires

- Two green pieces so that I can call it the Cactus Crawler ;)

cactuscrawler1.png

cactuscrawler2.pngcactuscrawler3.jpg

cactuscrawler4.png

cactuscrawler5.jpgcactuscrawler6.png

cactuscrawler7.jpg

LXF hopefully coming soon, the tires can easily be found with a quick google search of their name.

YES, I know, there is no body. This is meant for performance, meaning I made the cab as small, light, and rigid as possible.

I will be able to reply intermittently throughout the day. I figured I'd put this up now anyway! :thumbup:

pt

Edited by PunkTacoNYC

As a builder of your previous chili crawler.....I had to watch and comment:grin:

Two motors for the back and one for the front?  Interesting.  Innovative....don't think I have seen that before in a Lego crawler. 

Much faster than previous versions.  Looks like it helps with the crawling quite a bit. 

The video is spectacular. City in the background and then the beach? Such a pleasure to watch.....

Wow... So much speed+power on this beast!!! :thumbup: Needs some color though... :tongue: Video is great, I have actually been to that part of the water front in New York. Which beach were you at?

Nice work.  Would like to see some closeup pics of the suspension linkage.  Like the steering approach with the actuator too.

Edited by PlastiBots

Excellent performance, comparable to Hobby grade competition crawlers in pure climbing ability.

6 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Wow... So much speed+power on this beast!!! :thumbup: Needs some color though... :tongue: Video is great, I have actually been to that part of the water front in New York. Which beach were you at?

Thanks! It was in Brooklyn, near the bridge. There are a lot of great areas to film there, especially recently since they have now renovated, adding lots of great rocks for crawling as shown in the video. This is actually where I filmed most of my shots for my Unimog Trial Truck.

33 minutes ago, PlastiBots said:

Nice work.  Would like to see some closeup pics of the suspension linkage.  Like the steering approach with the actuator too.

I, too, like my steering solution. It provides a great turning radius, rigidity, and a decent speed. The only downfall, however, is that the plastic linear actuators cannot handle too much torque and, thus, slip quite often. There is absolutely nothing I can do about this, however, with the only solution being lego designing a more heavy-duty LA of the same size.

10 minutes ago, z3_2drive said:

Excellent performance, comparable to Hobby grade competition crawlers in pure climbing ability.

Thank you, that is what I am aiming for!

10 hours ago, PlastiBots said:

What about this LA?  Too long? 

Yup, definitely for this crawler. I've even tried working it into the steering for larger crawler projects but its size makes it very difficult.

Great crawling, fast and agile however could do with some bodywork :classic: will you be adding any?

2 hours ago, Qukie said:

Great crawling, fast and agile however could do with some bodywork :classic: will you be adding any?

Nope, I'm not doing body work as it would, in one way or another, detract from its performance.