After my previous attempt at entering this competition was ruled out, I made sure my new idea wouldn't suffer the same fate before starting to build. So what makes this entry wacky?

TC12WIP502

All the wheels will be mounted as casters to give omnidirectional steering. Like a hovercraft the vehicle will be blown along rather than having driven axles. As is my creative strategy at the moment my build will be limited to the sets below.

TC12WIP501

I am sticking to the pocket money range for my parts. This also keeps the larger sets free for my other build. It remains to be seen if I can manage casters on all sides of the vehicle. I'm thinking only two wheels on each face need to be casters as long as the remaining two have independent axles.

Edited by thekitchenscientist
Title

Sounds good and wacky!  It looks like your be putting the fan propulsion on it and not relying on wind power that could blow you to the back of the grid :laugh:

I don't know what it's going to look like, or how wacky it's going to be, but if it's anything like your previous attempt, it should be great!

A short building update. There were sufficient 15 stud beams in the sets to create a cube.

TC12WIP601

My original idea was going to be more bowl like. It was to be made of triangles with a caster at each point. In the end the parts didn't speak to me in this direction.

A range of casters have been fitted to four faces. The low profile tires allow for panels and lift arms to be used as axle mounts.

TC12WIP603

Having two fixed, two rotating casters is more stable and not much less manoeuvrable than four rotating. I think I may go with this design for all the faces.

The low profile tires have driven the next phase of this build. It may not look much different but the casters are now aligned on the non-panel faces.

TC12WIP701

This has given the model a more defined front and sides. I had wanted to build a cube 30 studs to a side. This would have offered the driver a better view but I'm not sure it would be very strong. One of the things I like about this smaller design is the rigidity.

TC12WIP702

20 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

will there be a driver with a 'one way up always' seat? 

You are indeed seeing my plan. I am working on this at the moment. Getting the balance plus style is not so easy. I was going to mount the fans in a gyro housing inside the cube with the driving seat in front. As other TC12 entries have found, such a mechanism takes up lots of space. I will mount the driver inside the cube and think again about how the fans might work.

Finally made progress and got the driver and propulsion system mounted.

TC12WIP906

As you can see I have reworked some of the colours to give each face a more consistent feel. The rear outriggers prevent the vehicle from rolling on its side. If trouble is spotted ahead the front brakes can be applied to flip the vehicle onto it's face.

TC12WIP901TC12WIP902

The driver seat also pivots and the racer can now operate in heli-mode and fly over the trouble. I'm still trying to decide if I should make the third mode all-terrain by swapping the top set of slicks for off road tires?

TC12WIP903

Any helicopter experts out there tell me if the blades should rotate in the same or opposite directions?

11 hours ago, thekitchenscientist said:

If trouble is spotted ahead the front brakes can be applied to flip the vehicle onto it's face.

It's a car that can do a U-turn...without turning... Cool! :sweet:

11 hours ago, thekitchenscientist said:

the blades should rotate in the same or opposite directions?

Normally they would rotate in opposite directions, but does it really matter for a wacky vehicle?

Edited by mocbuild101

I think it is close to being finished. I've reworked each face to make them more distinct.

TC12WIP1001

The engine now has a fuel tank and quad exhausts.

TC12WIP1002

The blades now rotate in opposite directions to enable a hover mode, to get out of trouble. It also means I can drive straight up walls and cliffs.

TC12WIP1003

The third mode is back to being offroad or rapid U-turn depending on the situation.

TC12WIP1013

There is potential for a bit more greebling but I think the concept is complete. It is clearly a Racer and has some interesting features.

Much to my surprise it ended up being the less popular sets that have contributed most to this model (stunt plane, record breaker, twin rotor helicopter, hydroplane racer).

I just loved the back up vehicle.  It reminded me of Thunderbirds, where there was a little vehicle which came out of Thunderbird 2.  I think you have thought of everything, and it makes me jealous, because it is a simple build, achieveable by many of us lesser eurobrick fans.