Sign in to follow this  
Redbird11

UCS Imperial Star Destroyer

So I had an opportunity to purchase a used UCS ISD but ended up passing on the purchase because it wasn't complete. My question actually is centered on the instruction manual, everything I've seen online states that it had a spiral bound instruction booklet but this one had a standard book bound manual. Has anyone else seen this? I'm only curious, didn't know if it was exclusive. 

Depending on what parts were missing, that ISD could have been either really easy to restore... or an absolute nightmare.  The engines and shield generators were unique to the set and are almost impossible to get hold of, but the rest is relatively straightforward.

The 10030 ISD went through a few revisions over the years it was on sale.  The first edition sets came with a standard bound manual, but it was so thick that the spine had a tendency to crack and fall apart if it was used too much.  So at some point (not sure when exactly), they switched to issuing the sets with spiral bound manuals that were more likely to survive.  

The original editions of the set came in the old light/dark greys, the last few were made in the modern light/dark bluish greys (around 2002 I think).  Apparently, some boxes even contained a mixture  of both shades of grey (though I've never actually seen this).

Thanks for the reply, the set was one of the originals in the old light gray. I'm kicking myself because I didn't buy it, I was given first dibs but thought it would be too difficult to acquire the right color...I was wrong. It was swiped up real quick. I'm kicking myself because it was a great deal.

Argh, never mind... Maybe another will come along. Or you could try waiting, the rumour threads have been buzzing with speculation of a new UCS ISD  next year... though I'll believe it when I see it.