Sign in to follow this  
Marxpek

[TC12] RC Baby Stroller - Baby Bomber Buggy - done

After being absent from the site and constructing with Lego for a while, because of the vacation time, a new job and a new kid, i found this contest and some inspiration!

The idea's are about completed in my mind, the framework and basic rolling chassis has been built, the wacky function remains to be built, and when i find more time/idea's i will try to incorporate a 2nd wacky function.

True to my style of remote racers: this thing will be fast and most likely uncontrollable. (most of you will know my speed record racing attempts by now, still working on it with great results but available time and weather, limits my progress)

I might not finish this project in time, but i will surely try and but will surely finish this just for the fun of it! I hope i will find the time to incorporate both wacky functions i have in mind. I'm planning to use: 1 or 2 s-bricks (maybe with a analog bluetooth joystick), 3x L-motor 1x m-motor and a servo motor.

800x600.jpg

Here is a picture of the bare rolling chassis,(excuse me for the messy background, like i said before: we just got a baby here, make the house/life messy),

Can you guess what vehicle it is based on? And what would the wacky added functions be? more pictures incoming soon!

Edited by Marxpek

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Sbrick isn't allowed in this competition. It says official Lego parts only

Just now, Seasider said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Sbrick isn't allowed in this competition. It says official Lego parts only

"note too self": read first, build later!

It will not be a problem, but thank you for bringing it up!

So here is another small update, it reveals the design idea and what is its based on, a baby stroller.

Roughly 1:3 scale, like the original it can be taken apart and folded for easy storage, the locking mechanism and the steering handle remain to be designed and built. If there is time left i will design a "kiddy buggy" attachment, just like the original has.

800x600.jpg

and one with the source of inspiration:

800x600.jpg

The design is not by far final, especially the bed-area (what is the English word here? bucket? tub? please help?) needs work, but the idea is there, although racing a RC baby stroller is pretty wacky to me, the functions should become the most wacky part, hopefully...

Edited by Marxpek

Very... different haha.  For a wacky wheels contest this is a great idea.  From your first pictures, i was not sure what the heck is was going to be, but now I definitely see it.  Nice job.  

BTW, before seeing this, I thought Sbricks were allowed too, I do not know why they aren't....

That's something I wasn't expecting! :laugh:

7 hours ago, Marxpek said:

although racing a RC baby stroller is pretty wacky to me

Make that very wacky!

6 hours ago, aminnich said:

I do not know why they aren't....

Because they are not Lego...

I understand not using 3D printed parts and I see why using an RC motor and 3rd tires (especially for this contest) are not allowed, but a simple receiver so I can control my vehicle through my phone? I don't understand, but rules are rules and I will follow them. 

Update on wacky function number 1: 

I built this gun to exactly fit the baby stroller's tub.

The clutch release system is really powerful and reliable, rotating the motor one direction loads the gun, and rotating the motor the other direction makes it fire. 

The entire thing should be "hidden" in the tub, which of course will need a rebuild around this gun.

7 hours ago, Marxpek said:

Update on wacky function number 1:

Great, although it is a bit slow... (I have built much faster machine guns)

I like how you included the Technic figures in the video - very funny!

Edited by mocbuild101

10 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

A baby stroller! Nice idea. Inspired by Mariokart?

Hihi, not really, the inspiration actually was our new born baby and the gear that came with it..But it would have been a nice theme!

3 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Great, although it is a bit slow... (I have built much faster machine guns)

I like how you included the Technic figures in the video - very funny!

My aim was to make a powerful gun with a remote trigger, since you only get about 10 shots from a cartridge, they should count, most machine gun constructions fire the bricks faster but much weaker, but most importantly, you can not accurately decide when to fire a single shot with a machine gun, This was my main goal, load the gun while driving, and fire it when the time is right.

So maybe this is more like a Howitzer or shotgun rather than a machine gun.

And thanks for noticing my little Technic fig story, wanted to spice the demonstration up a bit :)

3 hours ago, Marxpek said:

This was my main goal, load the gun while driving, and fire it when the time is right.

That makes sense, and it would also mean instant firing anyway.

Can't wait to see it attached to the stroller!

So here is some update on the stroller, excuse me on the bad lighting my time and resources are limited.

800x600.jpg

800x551.jpg

The gun system has been fitted into the tub, it might move one or two studs forwards but everything fits like planned in my mind.. The 2nd function has also been built in by now, 2 pneumatic actuators, a compressor and a switch have been used. 

So can anyone guess what the 2nd function will do?

More soon..

It looks like it fits perfectly, but... where does it shoot out of?

9 hours ago, Marxpek said:

So can anyone guess what the 2nd function will do?

Raise and lower the wheels? (pneumatic suspension)

Move/aim the gun?

14 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

It looks like it fits perfectly, but... where does it shoot out of?

at the moment just from the cartridge like displayed in the gun demo video, so it is firing on the left front side of the tub.

good guesses but no points for you here, its is a bit more wacky then that.

I call this function The Baby Dump, even considering the name "The Baby Dumper" for the stroller as a whole, but i might come up with something better...

ofc again bad video quality filming in the evening on a phone.. this is just to get the idea across.

Like i mentioned before, a empty gun is dead weight, i solved this problem.

Since the tub has its own battery box and is fully rc aswell, it can be dumped at any moment, making the stroller a lot lighter and crush opponents behind it, and this obstacle could still be a firing at you!

So you take your pick: will you drive in front and risk getting shot? or behind me and risk getting crushed? 

Very clever idea, and certainly not what I was expecting! There's just one thing...

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, Jim said:

9: Can I have two/three Wackies that drive together but can be separated to confuse/crush opponent?
No, it needs to be a single vehicle (see next question for exception).

10. Can my Wacky have a trailer?
Yes, you can have a trailer. As long as it is attached to your Wacky and not a separate vehicle.

I not exactly sure if it applies to your removable tub (as it can't actually drive), but I would still check with @Jim, just to make sure... :wink: 

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

Very clever idea, and certainly not what I was expecting! There's just one thing...

I not exactly sure if it applies to your removable tub (as it can't actually drive), but I would still check with @Jim, just to make sure... :wink: 

Add an umbilical cord !!

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

Just consider the tub ammo :D, why can i fire a 1x3 liftarm, but not a collection of bricks stacked together? *begs* @Jim

Also in both answers the word vehicle is used, the tub has no wheels, propulsion or steering, so i don't think it would categorize as a vehicle? *begs* @Jim even more...

9 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Add an umbilical cord !!

that would be worst case scenario, all my work fitting it into the tub would be pointless, since i cannot really dump it, i have to drag it then.. 

11. Can I make a model of a unusual real life car?
Yes you can, but be careful. No realism and no brand references (no Porsche, Lamborghini, etc). 

another one for Jim here maybe....maybe unwise to start a discussion about my own design, but fair is fair, i will remove the brand name of the stroller from my thread after posting this. But if my design is rejected based on one of these rules, i would like to know as soon as possible.

Time to update and finish the thread here as well.

With very little spare time on my hands, I have been able to finish my entry in the nick of time, not really happy about the video, but the baby stroller came out fully functioning how i envisioned it.

At first glance it looks like a normal buggy but it can cause major mayhem with the tub's functions, will you drive in front and risk getting shot with the powerful remote triggered shotgun? or will you drive behind it and risk getting the entire tub dumped onto your vehicle?

The base and the tub both have their own power supply and receivers, so they function separately, the tub is only held by the locking pins to the base, the v2 pneumatics do a great job here, when you engage the compressor the actuators work in opposite direction and start to let go the tub, dumping it.

Making the gun, its ammo cartridge, the pneumatics and the electrics fit inside the tub was a bit of a challenge, but it all worked out in the end, keeping the (roughly) 1:3 scale, with very little room to spare. admittedly... it is a bit top-heavy in the corners, especially when reaching its 12 km/h top speed and its 180 degree front wheel turn capabilities come together...just like a real baby stroller! 

After dumping the tub and a small pit stop, the base can also be driven folded down (storage position) for a bit better handling.

It goes by the name: Baby Bomber Buggy

a bit more info in the video:

800x600.jpg