TheRyan

Modular with the best interior detail?

I was looking to buy one of the modular sets.  Price is not a concern to me.

I don't plan on getting additional modular buildings, I just want a nice all in one modular set with tons of interior detail to play with. 

Suggestions would be appreciated. 

Well, if you want a one & done, then go with Assembly Square, as there's 3 building options.

However(since we all know the slippery slope that is Modulars:tongue: ) the Brick Bank & Parisian Restaurant both have fantastic interiors. 

Assembly Square is one big chunky masterpiece. It has some flaws here and there, but that doesn't stop it from being mindblowing. Parisian Restaurant, Detective's Office and Brick Bank are also great sets, but work better next to one another. Out of the three, Brick Bank is definetly the worst. A bit boring IMO and exterior detail on PR is better and interior detail on DO is better than BB.

I'm halfway through building Assembly Square, and so far I'd say it has the best & most interior detail yet. It's thought through and (for the most part) makes sense. Runner-up for me is the Parisian Restaurant.

DO has some nice interiors as well, the entire ground floor and the Detective's Office itself are very well done. However, the upper stories of the blue/brown building are way too small to have a decent interior, and thus the limited available space is used/wasted on walkways to reach the Detective's Office, a toilet and a stand-alone kitchen for the sake of the storyline.

Brick Bank is ok, both the bank part and the laundromat, but on the whole, it's just a solid rendition of what you'd expect, with a superfluous play feature thrown in.

Edited by RogerSmith

Hi

if price is no issue, I would recommend 2 x 10211 ( 1 buidling and 1 for 2 extra floors, ) so yo have more escalator's

- maybe it's an idea

if you realy want 1 than I say the Parisian Restaurant

Goodluck

Greetings

Just now, carebear said:

Hi

if price is no issue, I would recommend 2 x 10211 ( 1 buidling and 1 for 2 extra floors, ) so yo have more escalator's

- maybe it's an idea

How would that fit TheRyan's wishes? He's looking for a set with 'tons of interior detail to play with' - GE has very sparse interior detail (I nicknamed it 'the big, empty box'), and adding two additional floors won't exactly help, either.

19 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

How would that fit TheRyan's wishes? He's looking for a set with 'tons of interior detail to play with' - GE has very sparse interior detail (I nicknamed it 'the big, empty box'), and adding two additional floors won't exactly help, either.

Your right, I Just love the 10211 ( because of the great escalator and that you can make it higger and higger ) I think it's the best modular to date,

Greetings

6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Well, if you want a one & done, then go with Assembly Square, as there's 3 building options.

However(since we all know the slippery slope that is Modulars:tongue: ) the Brick Bank & Parisian Restaurant both have fantastic interiors. 

Originally I was thinking of getting that but after looking at it some more, I think that the individual room interiors are too small and some rooms in the set aren't really minifigure scale (i.e the bakery chairs). 

Right now now I lowered my selection to the Detectives Office, Brick Bank, and Parisian restuarant. 

3 hours ago, carebear said:

Your right, I Just love the 10211 ( because of the great escalator and that you can make it higger and higger ) I think it's the best modular to date,

Greetings

While the escalator is a neat detail, I've always found it a little perplexing that there's only one between each set of floors. Once you've gone up, how can you expect to get down? :tongue:

Since you specify that you want a one-and-done set with lots of interior detail, I'd say the Parisian Restaurant. Great interior, pretty exterior, and it's the next oldest set after Palace Cinema.

If you think you'd ever get into collecting multiple modulars (like if you get one and then get addicted like most of us, haha), it's worth noting that Palace Cinema is retiring soon. It has very very little in terms of interior detail so it may not be your thing, but head's up regardless if you ever wanted it. The interior may be sparse but it's fun to mod it yourself and fill it out with custom details.

16 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

While the escalator is a neat detail, I've always found it a little perplexing that there's only one between each set of floors. Once you've gone up, how can you expect to get down? :tongue:

I agree, but when you put 2 together you can make one go down

- and the floors are great to put a lot of detail in it

and I agree with you, on the Parisian Restaurant (  Great interior, pretty exterior  ) Great set!!!

Greetings

Believe me, I would nail it down to Assembly Square, Detective's Office and Parisian Restaurant. Brick Bank is definetly inferior to the other three.

While not one of the Creator lineup. If you are looking for a cool modular interior and price is not a blocker I'd suggest the Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ. It has a lab, kitchen, bedroom, pool tabe,  stove, arcade game, bathroom, camera room, garage, office and is packed with detail. It's fun to build, fun to play with and looks great standing on its own. 

9 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Originally I was thinking of getting that but after looking at it some more, I think that the individual room interiors are too small and some rooms in the set aren't really minifigure scale (i.e the bakery chairs). 

Right now now I lowered my selection to the Detectives Office, Brick Bank, and Parisian restuarant. 

I would go with the Brick Bank then. Since play is a big factor, you can have a break in, heist,  hostage situation, car chase, everything a good action movie calls for. Plus, I got a kick out of the vault door. 

2 hours ago, quark12000 said:

Café Corner.

Ha! There's definitely TONS of interior space to play...just need an imagination. :tongue:

What about the old fishing store. That's a very nice standalone build as far as I can see. I don't own it yet, but it looks stunning.

I would say the Parisian Restaurant because it has no "ugly" side to it, making it great as a standalone structure.  While the others are nice too, they have one or two sides which are not displayable, because the expectation is you will connect them to other buildings in order to hide the eyesores.  There is nice detail in the restaurant with the seating area and kitchen.  Then, you have the apartment above, and the artist studio above that.  You also have two different outdoor seating areas, one of which is on the side and the back.  Lots to look at on that modular!

I would recommend the Parisian Restaurant also. A great set and in my humble opinion the greatest modular.

But if price is not an issue, you can also consider the new Ninjago city, although it's not really a modular building from the Creator line. It has lots of details, small shops and lots of interior and playability. The Old Fishing store as mentioned above is also great if you just want one set with a lot of details.

Assembly Square and Detective's Office both have very "alive" and detailed interiors. Both would be a good choice.

Since nobody mentioned it so far: have a look at the Ninjago City kit. Even more details than the both mentioned above, great to look at from all four sides. It is not technically among the modular buildings, but works well on its own, and has plenty to look at and play with.

I have all of the modern modular buildings after the Parisian restaurant and I would say go with the Assembly Square as it has 3 styles of building facades and it doubles as a town square (assembly square is a bit of a pun), But if you don't have the space I will say go with the Detectives Office as the Brick Bank is a bit meh (banks are a bit of a boring subject to be honest).  

I have the Parisian Restaurant and Assembly Square, and I also have the Old Fishing Store as it is similar to a modular and great standalone building.  

I think the Old Fishing Store is now my favorite building.  If we are talking about modular buildings only, I think as a total package, the Parisian Restaurant is the best modular to date.  Price is $150, great exterior and interior on each level, the side has the seating area which looks good viewing it from the side, fits on a 32x32 baseplate.  Just top to bottom the best in my opinion.

Assembly Square hands down

Runner Up Parisian Restaurant , the modular that made me fall in love with modulars to begin with