I am just going to leave this here, more details later... What do you think my plans are?? 

800x600.jpg

Hope you like :wink:

Edited by aminnich

Panjandrum ?

I hope you have better success than the original real machine.

Edited by Doug72

15 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Panjandrum ?

I hope you have better success than the original real machine.

I did a bit of research on the Panjandrum and it is a very interesting concept.  I will not be making it for the contest, but maybe a future build, first LEGO needs to come out with some small rocket engines.  

6 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

To build the biggest wheels possible?

These are not the biggest wheels you can make, with the inverted track, you can make it as bug as possible, you just need the right center bracing.  When the contest was opened, the first thing I thought of was "build a new wheel", most everyone else are just using LEGO wheels and making wacky vehicles.  While this is cool, I feel like making a wheel, like what Doug did, is more of what this contest is suppose to be about.  I might be wrong. 

I have made more progress, but I was unable to get some pictures of it last night.  Maybe some more progress tonight.  

30 minutes ago, aminnich said:

I did a bit of research on the Panjandrum and it is a very interesting concept.  I will not be making it for the contest, but maybe a future build, first LEGO needs to come out with some small rocket engines.  

While this is cool, I feel like making a wheel, like what Doug did, is more of what this contest is suppose to be about.  I might be wrong.   

There are some good videos on YouTube about the Panjandrum including a modern replica.

Thanks for your comment about my wheels - I too think its about the wackest wheel.
I have even come across a square wheel for a bycycle but it requires a sinusoidal surface to roll along so bike does not bump up & down !!

I remember talking about different wheel geometries in my calculus class last semester.  The professor was explaining that you can make a wheel any shape you want, it just depending one the shape of the surface you are rotating the wheel on.  He gave the square wheel example, and just like you said, he explained you need a sinusoidal surface to "drive" on.  It would be an interesting research project for sure!!

My first thoughts for a wacky wheel was to wrap a caterpillar track like yours but around a BWE gear ring using 3/4 pins in the tread link pin holes to locate it and then use a gear meshing with internal gear ring to rotate it, but it was not successful.

Edited by Doug72

That was exactly what I did first, I tried multiple ways with no success.  Then I looked at the bike wheel sitting next to work area... It works very well and is strong with a "suspension" built into the wheel itself.  It has no traction at all, but I have an idea for that.  

UPDATE:

I just kind of started throwing 5x7 frames together, then some panels and the ridiculous engine.  I think it might be too big....

What I got

PROS 

• cool looking wheel IMO
  • good drive train for the massive wheel

CONS

• Everything else

I do not really like the looks of it. Yes, this is the first design.

800x600.jpg    800x600.jpg

52V engine should be big enough to move those wheels, right? :sweet:

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

I would think so :classic:

This is really shaping up to be something massive. Good luck, hope it works out.

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

Hahaha! that's awesome!

Is the color scheme final, or is it a WIP?

10 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

And it seems like you're doing exactly that!

No size limit taken to the extreme? Ya probably 

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

So like the concept square wheel car from 2015?

What are you referring to? My vehicle or discussion with @Doug72

Just now, aminnich said:

What are you referring to? My vehicle or discussion with Doug72?

Both, the wheel was used in a car concept a few years ago, with shifting bodywork, and the flexible wheels.

hqdefault.jpg

My wheel is similar to that type of wheel. Where both do not have a tire filled with air, it is basically the tread of a tire with material that is shock absorbant.  

I don't think you could truly recreate those wheels out of technic 

22 minutes ago, aminnich said:

I don't think you could truly recreate those wheels out of technic 

It should be possible (maybe), but only with a ton of flex axles, and at a much bigger scale...

UPDATE

Today I built the first version of the wacky weapon.  The idea is for something to be dumped out onto the car behind me, the wacky part is what goes inside :sweet:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

BTW, this is the first time I will be using pneumatics on a MOC, I hope all goes well 

On 11/09/2017 at 2:15 AM, aminnich said:

52V engine

That's awesome :)

I wonder if someone will someday start a world record for the largest lego fake engine

UPDATE

I wanted to show you what I have so far as a "wacky function" it is not quite an oil slick for the racer behind me, but something else... 

800x600.jpg

800x1067.jpg

And a short video to show you what exactly happens.