Jetflap

Building 7777

Nice buildings! Me and my dad have made the train #2, the blue maintenance car and the car transport wagon+loading ramp. You said you had some troubles getting the pieces for the large steam engine, however isn't that just a combination of 7750 and 7810, meaning you should be able to get period-correct pieces fairly easy by buying a nice copy of each set.

Inspiring builds

The idea book came out just before I entered into my Dark Age, but seeing these built IRBĀ gives inspiration to build.

Thanks for sharing and keep it coming:classic:

5 hours ago, Edde said:

Nice buildings! Me and my dad have made the train #2, the blue maintenance car and the car transport wagon+loading ramp. You said you had some troubles getting the pieces for the large steam engine, however isn't that just a combination of 7750 and 7810, meaning you should be able to get period-correct pieces fairly easy by buying a nice copy of each set.

It wasn't hard to find the parts, just expensive. Indeed I did sacrifice a 7750 for the parts. That's over $300 for a nice one plus the cost of the extra windows or a copy of 7810. I was just pointing out it was a lot more expensive to build than other sets from the book, most of which just use basic inexpensive 1980's parts.

21 hours ago, Jetflap said:

It wasn't hard to find the parts, just expensive. Indeed I did sacrifice a 7750 for the parts. That's over $300 for a nice one plus the cost of the extra windows or a copy of 7810. I was just pointing out it was a lot more expensive to build than other sets from the book, most of which just use basic inexpensive 1980's parts.

I went back and saw that, I remembered it as if you meant that the pieces were expensive and hard to find.Ā 

I also built all the four big locomotives of the 7777, I loved them since my childhood!

I made only some very small modifications:

• the red and blueĀ locomotive does not have 4,5v lights, but regular 12v light bricks (no lights on dashboard)
  • the red/white "american" locomotive is without bogies/motor and borrows them when needed - I never use it.
  • the red crocodile once had ALL lights working, then went back to its original status
  • the big steamer has DB stickers on it (but I think also other locomotives will get the stickers soon)

1516713160m_DISPLAY.jpg

I also followed the 7777 idea to "mark" the switches and signals with a colored brick (well, in this case it is very difficult to get confusedĀ :laugh:)

15167131601_DISPLAY.jpg

Then, a MOC tender for the big 7777 steamer, which was converted to 4,5V to run under the Christmas Tree. In the picture below, you can see it with the fantastic tipper wagons. I only have one of them but I'd like to create other copies - one tipper wagon alone is a sad tipper wagonĀ :grin:Ā !

7750tender45vandtipper7777.jpg

The dead end track stop you see in the first photo has now been replaced with the 7777 one, which I builtĀ back in the 80s.

Now that I've seen the yellow shed, I'm building a reduced version (basically only half of the original one) to be used as a small tunnel in my small 12V test track.

I thought I had more "vintage bricks", I had only completed half of the half shed and I already finished the yellow parts!!!Ā :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

5 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I also built all the four big locomotives of the 7777, I loved them since my childhood!

I made only some very small modifications:

• the red and blueĀ locomotive does not have 4,5v lights, but regular 12v light bricks (no lights on dashboard)
  • the red/white "american" locomotive is without bogies/motor and borrows them when needed - I never use it.
  • the red crocodile once had ALL lights working, then went back to its original status
  • the big steamer has DB stickers on it (but I think also other locomotives will get the stickers soon)

1516713160m_DISPLAY.jpg

I also followed the 7777 idea to "mark" the switches and signals with a colored brick (well, in this case it is very difficult to get confusedĀ :laugh:)

15167131601_DISPLAY.jpg

Then, a MOC tender for the big 7777 steamer, which was converted to 4,5V to run under the Christmas Tree. In the picture below, you can see it with the fantastic tipper wagons. I only have one of them but I'd like to create other copies - one tipper wagon alone is a sad tipper wagonĀ :grin:Ā !

7750tender45vandtipper7777.jpg

The dead end track stop you see in the first photo has now been replaced with the 7777 one, which I builtĀ back in the 80s.

Now that I've seen the yellow shed, I'm building a reduced version (basically only half of the original one) to be used as a small tunnel in my small 12V test track.

I thought I had more "vintage bricks", I had only completed half of the half shed and I already finished the yellow parts!!!Ā :hmpf_bad:

Great stuff! I like the colored marked remote signals and points. I also use this idea and thanks to the current color palette you can use many remote devices.Ā 

The red locomotive is also part of my 12 volt collection. How did you build the middle light with the light brick behind it?Ā 

12 volt is alive :-)

Holger

Hi Holger! I used a technic brick with hole, a technic half pin and the transparent round plate. Everything could be found in 1980 so it was a possible solution even back then.

I added the same electric scheme I used on my BR78, using diodes to turn on lights according to the locomotive direction. But sincerely I was not convinced...and I came back to the original designĀ :laugh:

Hi,

Ā 

great stuff in this thread, this brings back memories :classic:

my favourite so far:

36289575463_cee953ae11_c.jpg

Ā 

... and remarkable, that even the computer in the background seems to associate optical with the 12V models :wink:

1516713160m_DISPLAY.jpg

Ā 

Thanks for showing!

Did someone tried to rebuild the scenes of the classic 12V poster?

Ā 

Greetings

ThomaS

Ā 

Edited by tsi

Never tried it, because it seems only a display track without any possibility to play - It basically is a labirinth of rails. It was not available in Italy as far as I know, so I only saw it when I began to surf on Internet - andĀ I immediately wanted all those trees!!!:grin:

I always wanted (and I will do it one day) to recreate the track visible on the back of 7740 instructions. It seems quite nice and not too big so it could be ok for me (I do not have too much space)Ā :blush:

Ā 

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi again,Ā @JetflapĀ gave me an inspiration with his very nice yellow SW10 :grin:. The SW10 began its careerĀ around 1980, so it was brand new during the first phase of Lego Gray Era.

Ā Since I have some unused 7760 parts, I tried to imagine an SW10 built in 7777 style, and prepared a very fast design:

39894969362_f19dd6c0b8_b.jpg

39894970582_a40ae70ebf_b.jpg

39894972052_415e988b69_b.jpg

Here the list of differences:

• Side shutters instead of grille-bricks (as suggested in the SW10 specific thread) - they give a good-old fashioned feel to the locomotive.
  • Rear ladders are moved inside by one stud, as in 7777 red/white locomotive - SW10 prototype ladders have the same body color and are integrated - in this case I have gray ladders and I've to mask them.
  • Handrails are 4x2 instead of 6x1 - the part was not available back then
  • Front lights are round instead of square and are yellow instead of whiteĀ (Lego used yellow ones as headlights, even if trans-clear were available)
  • Front and rear yellow headlights will beĀ working (for this reason rear headlights are mounted on a technic brick) according to direction
  • Front handrails are reworked , since the two parts used in the prototype were not yet available
  • Interior is completely invented, I used a technic-based lever (as in 7750) - seat is elevated by 1 stud, since light-bricks cables must run below it. I think to use a small turntable to make it reversable.
  • The two exhaust pipes are made by round bricks only - cones were not available yet.
  • the bottom central part of locomotive is standard like in 7777 locomotive
  • Rear windows are the rare 3x2 blue parts used in 7760.
  • I still chose to use the same loudspeaker part as SW10 prototype - as I could see the part appeared in 1982 catalogs - so it is period-correct. It is reversed respect to the original model since it seems the front part of the locomotive is the long nose.
  • I added a yellow light on the roof - many SW10, including the Union Pacific, had it.
  • Locomotive roof is made by black 3x3 slope parts like in 7710

I will build this one for sure, luckily I have all parts except 6x28 platformsĀ (I had to order them).

There's only one thing I do not like on this locomotive (asĀ in all American-inspired Lego trains) - buffers. They must not be there. They do not fit at allĀ :hmpf_bad:

Another color rendition of the locomotive can be the Canadian Pacific version (all red - using 7720 parts).Ā :classic:

Ā 

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Going back to 7777 building - here's the tipper wagon and the iconic hand-powered railcarĀ :wink:

25055858487_4bcab8f203_b.jpg

And here's the SW10-12V in building progress (also the half-shed is slowly coming alive)Ā :laugh:

WP_20180127_15_20_28_Rich[498]

Ā 

Paperinik77pk- I love all your photos, thanks for sharing! The Blue SW10 looks great. Some day if I ever get around to re-creating the stickers I will have to send you a set. I have not build the the tipper wagons yet, do they tip smoothly? Did you happen to build the track side dumps with the automatic tipping feature? I'm curious how well it works in real life. Also referencing your yellow shed and lack of parts, I bought a nice mostly complete copy of the old yellow castle that was missing it's box and instructions, used all the yellow pieces, and was able to sell the minifigs/weapons/stickers for about what I paid for the whole set. Also did this for the engine factory, it's a good way to ensure you are using vintage pieces too!

Thanks @Jetflap!!! The original design tipper wagon does not flip too well, it uses an axle pin connected to the lower plate with holes in order to keep the central gear in place. It is not a good solution since under load the Whole gearing it is quite hard to move. I used a 2-long technic axle so the gear is kept in place by both 2x8 plates with holes. I never reproduced the whole unloading station, but I tried the tipping feature, and it works. But the train must travel veeeeeeeeeeeery slowly, otherwise you'll find your cargo everywhereĀ :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love your train factory, I only tried to build the small locomotive, but I soon dismantled it to use the red train platform for my 4,5v 7810.Ā 

I copied the "factory" idea from 7777 for my test workshop. I built it in a simplified 70s style (it was a a specific time during which I was mainly focusing on my blue era collection).Ā I use it to run 4,5v and 12v motorsĀ  without mounting a whole track.Ā :sweet:

WP_20180128_13_11_57_Rich[501]

The castle idea is great, I will search one on Ebay. I found some other yellow parts so I think I can complete the half shed-tunnel :laugh:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi all, the 12v SW10 is now finished and ready to work!Ā :laugh:

WP_20180205_21_46_28_RichWP_20180205_21_47_03_Rich

The 28-long train base is a bit dusty, I received it today and I did not clean it!!!:hmpf_bad:Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi Ā there!

Just like Jetflap, who started this topic, I am a huge fan of the Trains Ideas Book 7777-1 and I have also rebuilt a few ideas fromĀ this book, like Shell Fuel Depot/Oil Refinery. Hope you guys like it, enjoy!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Peter a.k.a. AFOL7777 (new user)Ā 

P.S. Unfortunately, I am only allowed to upload 1 picture, that is smaller than 102,4 Kb!
See bigger pictures atĀ http://clabrisic.com/topics/legoclassic/[Layouts]-Oil-Refinery

7777-6 (1).png

Edited by AFOL7777
explanation tiny photo

@PdaitabirdĀ  Thank you for your compliments and your tutorial, it is very helpful!

40789569493_2c6f04a48f_k.jpgLEGO 7777 7760 by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

47756124411_7dbf47eee1_k.jpgLEGO 7777 7760 by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

I also made a bridge with TECHNIC bricks:classic::

47756151011_055b533edb_k.jpgLEGO 7777 MOC by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

Ā 

@Paperinik77pkĀ  I also love the locomotives of the 7777. I built the biggest locomotive in yellow, since IĀ did not have all the black parts:laugh:ļ»æ:

32812648777_7e4a3a4b0e_k.jpgLEGO 7777 MOC by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Nice to see you here, Peter!

Did you have time to build more since last time?

Your creations are so nice, as usual! These windmills are really good for a train layout.

4 hours ago, Evans said:

Nice to see you here, Peter!

Did you have time to build more since last time?

Your creations are so nice, as usual! These windmills are really good for a train layout.

So nice to see you here too, Evans!Ā  And thank you for your compliment:classic:

Yes, fortunately,Ā I do have a little more time to build nowĀ  You can expect some new Classic Town and Train builds from me soon. I will post photos in my Yahoo! photostream. When I manage to make a complete layout again, like the Classic Space layoutĀ I made last year, I will come back to Clabrisic.com to show it:wink:

On 5/1/2019 at 1:15 PM, AFOL7777 said:

Hi Ā there!

Just like Jetflap, who started this topic, I am a huge fan of the Trains Ideas Book 7777-1 and I have also rebuilt a few ideas fromĀ this book, like Shell Fuel Depot/Oil Refinery. Hope you guys like it, enjoy!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Peter a.k.a. AFOL7777 (new user)Ā 

P.S. Unfortunately, I am only allowed to upload 1 picture, that is smaller than 102,4 Kb!
See bigger pictures atĀ http://clabrisic.com/topics/legoclassic/[Layouts]-Oil-Refinery

7777-6 (1).png

Thanks for sharing the photos of the oil depot! I tried to build this one myself, but never finished it and actually just recently took what I had built apart. I was going for accuracy and just could not see enough, especially of the platform for the yellow tanks. I like your solution though.

It's a long time since I wrote on this thread - I see things have improved!!! :)

The refinery is one of my darkest desires!!! Many thanks for sharing!!!

On 5/2/2019 at 12:54 PM, AFOL7777 said:

@PdaitabirdĀ  Thank you for your compliments and your tutorial, it is very helpful!

40789569493_2c6f04a48f_k.jpgLEGO 7777 7760 by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

47756124411_7dbf47eee1_k.jpgLEGO 7777 7760 by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

I also made a bridge with TECHNIC bricks:classic::

47756151011_055b533edb_k.jpgLEGO 7777 MOC by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

Ā 

@Paperinik77pkĀ  I also love the locomotives of the 7777. I built the biggest locomotive in yellow, since IĀ did not have all the black parts:laugh:ļ»æ:

32812648777_7e4a3a4b0e_k.jpgLEGO 7777 MOC by Ben Beesd, on Flickr

Ā 

Ooooh well, in yellow it still is a great locomotive!

Ā 

Ā