mocbuild101

What's the longest time you've ever kept a MOC together?

I was looking through my Lego today, and I came across this:

640x462.jpg

It's part of one of my oldest MOCs, which was originally the back of this Lego seat, which I built in 2009.

So I was thinking 'do other builders keep their MOCs together this long?'

And that's my question: what is the longest time you have ever kept a MOC together, and why?

Oh, and if you're wondering, one of the reasons why I kept it is because it's part of some very strange illusions... (not to mention I don't need the bricks it's made of)

Spoiler

1. Part of it was made to levitate:

800x793.jpg

2. Stare at the L of Lego in this small image:

640x462.jpg Do all the other letters start to move?

3. When I shake it (in real life), the letters seem to come off the bricks...

Edited by mocbuild101

Me and my gf built a ship together nearly 4 years ago, which is still intact. I think that's the record.

I have a handful that survived through the 'dark ages' which would place them around 18 years old.

Koala designs circa ~1999:

A crummy tank and a helicopter (added the IR jammer on the tail later as its obviously a post '2000 piece):

36292921763_be5d4beb34_c.jpg

Classic Ninja (pre-Ninjago) castle made from combining all the parts on two 48x48 plates

36292921713_2f90b5a3f6_c.jpg

36292921723_8d0c55e69e_c.jpg

I mostly MOC minifigures, so if they count, my oldest one that's still pretty much as it was originally (barring a weapon change) is 24 years and counting. He was 'born' when I came out of my DA in 1993.

I still have three buildings from the Lego City I built as a kid. Hard to tell how old they are exactly, but my Lego City was a fixture in my room in the first half of the 90ies, and they were around a long time, so I'd say about 25 years. I have very few old pictures of that city that might help narrow it down, but who cares anyway *g*. I also have a weird Technic Supercar with two front axles I also built as a kid, which is still mostly intact. I stole a few blue Technic beams when I finally put together some old Space sets I never had instructions for as a kid...

In my AFOL life, the oldest MOC that still exists is my very first modular building, the Hat Shop, built from only vintage parts in early 2014. But it will propably get dismantled soon, if only for lack of space. I intend to keep all my other MOCs (pictured below) together (I'll either find more room or dismantle a couple of offical sets to make room for the next buildings).

Winterfield Academy has been intact for about 8 months now, which is the longest I've gone without tearing down a MOC and rebuilding it! But I think it's only because I'm still working on the interior decorating. 

Alternate Nonsense!

7 hours ago, Hive said:

Me and my gf built a ship together nearly 4 years ago, which is still intact. I think that's the record.

...I wish I had a gf who liked Lego...actually, I wish I had a gf at all!

I've only been doing mocs for 1 year now and I don't have too much Lego so I have to take them apart quite often. I still have one I made 8 months ago and I'm hoping to keep it for a long time after.

My three long time MOCs are 1 from 2010, and 2 from 2012.

Later MOCs have been disassembled.

Andy D

I still have some Agents MOCs together that I built in '08 or '09, but it's not because they're super special to me or anything. Just never wound up needing to reuse the pieces.

13 hours ago, koalayummies said:

A crummy tank and a helicopter

I wouldn't say they are that bad, they are actually quite good - especially when you consider the limited parts available in 1993. 

13 hours ago, AmperZand said:

...if they count

I would say they do, MOC does mean My Own Creation - and that should apply to anything.

7 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Was MOC even a word in 1983?

Was AFOL a word in 1983?

8 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I made this MOC in 1983. It is still together because I wasn't into shredding MOCs back then. Was MOC even a word in 1983?

That is super retro! Keep it together forever. :grin:

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

I wouldn't say they are that bad, they are actually quite good - especially when you consider the limited parts available in 1993. 

Thanks. Was way more into building military stuff back then, pretty much only had 3 colors to work with unless one wanted bright red and yellow armaments like Command and Conquer or something. 

11 hours ago, MovieMocs said:

...I wish I had a gf who liked Lego...actually, I wish I had a gf at all!

Yeah I'm super lucky with her. She got drawn in due to my interest in LEGO, getting deeper and deeper in for every day... and now she's even at the point where she just now talked about wanting LEGO for Christmas. :wub:

I have some parts of the MMV built, the agents command truck is still together and so are my speed racer cars. As for MOCs? I have some that are a couple of years old now. I like them and have not needed the parts. Though they may end up culled this sorting round. 

Does it count if it has been modified over the years. Cause if so then mine would have to my Silver Takanuva moc. As I had him before I graduated in 2006. I pretty much never tear mocs apart unless I need the pieces for something else.

The longest I keep a MOC together is about 1 month. I have a very small room so after a month I need the space a I have to tear it apart. That is mainly why I decided to build on the Lego Digital Designer, no clean-up time and they last forever!

32 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

The longest I keep a MOC together is about 1 month. I have a very small room so after a month I need the space a I have to tear it apart. That is mainly why I decided to build on the Lego Digital Designer, no clean-up time and they last forever!

Well, that is if you don't accidentally delete it, or the world ends. :wink:

Edited by Hart New Bob

7 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

That is mainly why I decided to build on the Lego Digital Designer, no clean-up time and they last forever!

So what's your oldest LDD MOC?

I have a stable module MOC for classic castle that is a good 30-31years old.

I don't know if it counts if it has been packed away in the loft for half of that time though.

11 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

So what's your oldest LDD MOC?

The oldest ones I have on file are from 2012, so about 5 or so years old. I know I started on LDD in about 2010 though... so some of the models may be older.

well, i only came out 18 months ago, but so far 9 months or so in lego, 4-5 yrs if you count kre-o (hasbros short attempt, only got into that cuz well TF n me go back 30 yrs till hasbro killed it for me by preschooling thier entire lines).

yet to post anything to show, just not sure i'm there yet.

Edited by Foxw
after thought