Fire Ant - Tilting go-cart

Instructions are available on rebrickable. Entry topic can be found here. A big thank you to everybody involved in this topic :thumbup:!

One-minute pitch

With its wacky turning feature and inclined V4 engine, this vehicle is extremely fast and highly manoeuverable. A perfect fit for a race in an urban area. Don't forget this contest is in fact a race held in LEGO City. This race-cart finds its way through the mess created by its large and heavy opponents, without giving in on speed. And like with real ants, a Fire Ant never comes alone. Their determination and willingness to serve fellow ants that stand a better chance to win, will drive other contestants even more nuts than they already are :wink:. And to make the ant analogy complete: this model consists of three segments:

• The head - With its steering controlled head lights pointing into each and every turn, the front section makes sure the driver won't miss a thing and allows him to anticipate unexpected situations.
  • The thorax - The driver section, which tilts in turns, compensates for the centrifugal force the driver is exposed to. An experienced driver can make the car turn by moving his weight into the turn.
  • The abdomen - Equipped with a V4 engine, inclined to ensure optimal lubrication under acceleration g-forces, the rear section gives the car enough power to stay ahead of all of its opponnents.

Admit it, you want to ride this animal!

Base features
  • Rear wheel drive
  • Working steering wheel
  • Working fake V4
  • Adjustable rear-spoiler
Wacky feature
  • Turning mechanism which offers 4-wheel steering and makes the driver section tilt in turns. It works like this: The driver steers the front section using the steering wheel. Steering the front section makes the driver section tilt, which in turn makes the rear section counter-steer.
More qualities
  • High manoeuverability. The turning feature combines excellent road-holding with a very small turning circle.
  • Straight line stability. The front and rear segments are stablized with silicon bands to keep the car straight.
  • Everything in-system. All inclined constructs rely on perfect fits derived from the Pythagorean triple (3, 4, 5).
  • Kid-proof. Each of the three segments has been build with a high level of form-locking. Nothing will fall off.

800x451.jpg800x451.jpg800x451.jpg800x451.jpg800x451.jpg800x451.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Great idea, but somehow it doesn't really seem that wacky... But then again, you haven't finished yet...

So keep it up, and good luck!

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

Great idea, but somehow it doesn't really seem that wacky... But then again, you haven't finished yet...

So keep it up, and good luck!

Thanks! I might give it a little more 'face', but I got my go-cart inspiration from the Wacky Wheels game, so I don't think it will get much wackier :classic:.

wacky-wheels-hd-online-game-code.jpg

Btw, thanks for the hints on using POV-RAY. I'm using POV-RAY as it comes with Stud.io and there doesn't seem to be a way to feed it with your settings. But I will keep it in mind for when I start working with POV-RAY itself.

Edited by Didumos69

2 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

I'm using POV-RAY as it comes with Stud.io and there doesn't seem to be a way to feed it with your settings.

That's most likely because it's probably not the full version.

Very interesting construction. Reminds me a little on Carver One.

I think, I understand the steering mechanism. Is it easy to turn the steering wheel, when the cart is standing?

And there is not a single fixed point in the whole system. I like it.

49 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

That's most likely because it's probably not the full version.

You can export io file into mpd and then create pov file in LDView with custom setting, it has nothing to do with povray, it is just stud.io setting. You can export to pov file directly from stud.io and edit parameters in povray.

Regarding the buggy, remings me 8226 Mud masher: https://brickset.com/sets/8226-1/Mud-Masher  my last set before dark age, VERY playable

Edited by Ivan_M

On 8-9-2017 at 1:59 PM, kodlovag said:

I think, I understand the steering mechanism. Is it easy to turn the steering wheel, when the cart is standing?

If you follow the tilting movement with your hand, I suppose it will be easy. Actually, I expect to be able to steer the vehicle by tilting the cabin / seat, which would add to playability imo. This image shows more detail of the steering mechanism. The steering wheel drives the turn table to which the front axles are connected. The rear axles simply follow the position of the cabin.

800x450.jpg

Btw, the angle of the steering wheel in this image corresponds exactly to the steering angle made by the axles.

800x450.jpg?a=1

On 8-9-2017 at 2:10 PM, Ivan_M said:

Regarding the buggy, remings me 8226 Mud masher: https://brickset.com/sets/8226-1/Mud-Masher  my last set before dark age, VERY playable

I didn't know that one, but it seems related indeed. Only my version has a working steering wheel.

Edited by Didumos69

Looks really interesting.

Not to change the subject, but what is your "Flex Less" avatar supposed to mean? I am assuming that it is some type of play on Paul's "Stud Less" one?

1 minute ago, Meatman said:

Looks really interesting.

Not to change the subject, but what is your "Flex Less" avatar supposed to mean? I am assuming that it is some type of play on Paul's "Stud Less" one?

"Always in persuit of rigid structures" aka "flex less"? :wink:

47 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

"Always in persuit of rigid structures" aka "flex less"? :wink:

I could not have phrased it better :thumbup:. And in addition to that I tend to not use flex axles in my builds.

20 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

And of course it's a wink at Paul's studless logo.

20 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

But what is the wacky function going to be?

I was hoping the tilting frame would do :blush:... it will give me such a good roadholding (together with the 4-wheel steering) that I will win the race :wink:

Edited by Didumos69

14 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

But what is the wacky function going to be?

14 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I was hoping the tilting frame would do :blush:... it will give me such a good roadholding (together with the 4-wheel steering) that I will win the race :wink:

I just reread the info topic and it states: The second requirement is that it needs to have at least one wacky function besides driving and steering. This function can be anything to gain an advantage in the race. Of course it can also be function to hinder your opponent. Anything goes!

I know most TC12 entries interpret the wacky function as something to hinder opponents or simply disturb them with something wacky. I opt for something 'out of the ordinary' to gain advantage on my opponents instead. So my tilting tub is my wacky feature.

Edited by Didumos69

I used this type of steering in the Lego Rebrick competition "Lego Technic Porsche of your dreams" .

I knew I did not make any chance to win so I made something different.

11 minutes ago, MikeTwo9398 said:

I used this type of steering in the Lego Rebrick competition "Lego Technic Porsche of your dreams" .

I knew I did not make any chance to win so I made something different

And I was thinking I was doing something new :sceptic:. I didn't notice your entry back then. It doesn't have the looks, but it sure has a very nice wiggle steering feature :thumbup:!

I just shot a short proof of concept video:

4 hours ago, LvdH said:

My favourite so far :thumbup: 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

And I was thinking I was doing something new :sceptic:. I didn't notice your entry back then. It doesn't have the looks, but it sure has a very nice wiggle steering feature :thumbup:!

I just shot a short proof of concept video:

Looks nice. The front is is rotating more than the back.

But be careful by placing a lot of weight in the middle, especially when placing the center of gravity above the axes. It will become instable and making the vehicle steer on it own.

Just now, MikeTwo9398 said:

But be careful by placing a lot of weight in the middle, especially when placing the center of gravity above the axes. It will become instable and making the vehicle steer on it own.

Yea, I want to keep the center of gravity of the tub below the rotation points. If that fails I will make some kind of return to center, probably with silicon bands. I want to obtain straight line stability.

I'm very curious how it will feel when all can be operated using the steering wheel.

5 minutes ago, MikeTwo9398 said:

The front is is rotating more than the back.

Intentionally, but in my cart the difference will be less.

Edited by Didumos69

Wow! I like this a lot.  I will like it more if instructions or an assembly video becomes available. Just kidding, great little car, good luck in the contest.

Andy D

On 9-9-2017 at 6:18 PM, Andy D said:

Wow! I like this a lot.  I will like it more if instructions or an assembly video becomes available. Just kidding, great little car, good luck in the contest.

Andy D

Thanks!

I secured the seat and managed to have it sit really deep. Also did some work on form-locking several structures, which resulted in a  cage around the seat and two inclined lines running over the front axles. I did some work on the color scheme as well, but nothing is final yet.

Finally I gave this thing a name: Fire ant. It is red and it consists of three segments (just like most insects): the head, the thorax and the abdomen.

800x450.jpg?a=1800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg?a=1800x450.jpg?a=1800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Starts to getting shape, I really like the concept! :thumbup: I am curious if You will develop it further with eyes, mandible (bionicle / hero factory / large figure parts would be useful) - too bad, that You are flexless, feelers would be great to be made of... :tongue:

Edited by agrof

On 11-9-2017 at 6:57 AM, mocbuild101 said:

The first thing I thought: You need to put some flaming exhausts on it! :devil:

On 11-9-2017 at 4:41 PM, schraubedrin said:

The back screams for nice big exhaust flames

Impressive exhausts seems like a very good idea, I will work on that. No flames though. Sofar this design meets my desire to make sure nothing will fall off easily, not even during some rough handling. I would like to hold in to that.

On 11-9-2017 at 8:45 AM, agrof said:

I am curious if You will develop it further with eyes, mandible (bionicle / hero factory / large figure parts would be useful) - too bad, that You are flexless, feelers would be great to be made of... :tongue:

I might develop it further, but I'm afraid not with bionicle or other non-technic stuff. I might use flex axles if they ressemble something that is supposed to be flexible. Just don't want to use them to mimic something rigid.

On 11-9-2017 at 10:36 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Fire ant- a fitting name. I like it.

On 11-9-2017 at 11:13 PM, MattL600 said:

Love the concept and the design :)

Thanks to all for your feedback! I'm glad you like it!

Edited by Didumos69