This was one of my first large-scale MOCs, that came before the Orient Express Thriller or Winterfield Academy were even conceived! (back in 2014) I had watched the miniseries for "The Shining", and I've always been enamored with National Park lodges. So, the product was The Glacier Falls Lodge, the official lodge for Brickler Mountain National Park! A perfect getaway destination/luxury hotel catering to any minifig's vacation needs! 

This MOC went through at least six different iterations, before finally being pared down to a (very) downsized version fit for LEGO Ideas. 

At its prime, though, the Lodge contained an enormous lobby, full dining room and kitchen, and several guest rooms upstairs, with two bathrooms per floor (kind of in the style of Chico Hot Springs in Montana). 

Glacier Falls Lodge

The first iteration was built in 2014, during that summer we had a major fire that caused us to evacuate. This hotel was thrown in a box and taken with us in a car at night fleeing to Seattle. Later, when the fire season was over and we returned, the hotel sat on the desk for several months without being worked on. 

Glacier Falls Lodge

The Second Iteration had a change to the tower, it was more octagonal and separated from the roof. And I used the Town Hall Skylights for the Lobby. 

The Third Iteration sadly has no pictures, as my computer had crashed and we lost them. But it was pretty ugly. I had the idea to try and make octagonal towers on either side of the main doors, with the idea not turning out very well. That iteration was fragile, and fell apart easily. 

Glacier Falls Lodge

The Fourth Iteration was a HUGE model, with an upgraded, fancier porch and a sign out front! This was also when I made it into more of a Victorian style hotel, with a large wrap around porch, and the two towers on either side. These were half-octagonal towers, which made it a lot easier to stay together. (I had actually figured out how to build them, and gotten the pieces for it). The roof was a major challenge, but we made it work! This iteration also had an enormous, well thought out and beautifully built dining room, as well as a large kitchen with three to four walk in freezers!

Glacier Falls Lodge

The Fifth Iteration was downsized in terms of length to make it fit through the door, lol! The basic hotel structure remained the same, however, with the exception of a large rearranging of the rooms inside. This was the first project that I submitted to LEGO Ideas, before having to downsize it again for it to be accepted. This was by far the best iteration of the six, and the only one we have interior pictures of. 

The Glacier Falls Lodge (MOC)

5th Iteration furniture and Grand Fireplace

5th Iteration First Floor 

Porch Detail

Lobby Facing the Dining Room

Lobby picture 2

Piano Music Room

Lobby Picture 3

The cool part was that the interior walls of the 5th Iteration were removable! 

1st/2nd floors

This was also the first iteration to have major interior decorating and fancy chandeliers! 

Glacier Falls Lodge

The 6th and Final Iteration of this MOC kept most of the basic structure, subtracting much of the width, in order to make the 3000 piece LEGO Ideas limit. This unfortunately was at the cost of sacrificing the entirety of the interior minus several pieces of furniture. This iteration currently, sadly does not exist anymore. It was torn down and the pieces used for Winterfield Academy (pictured below) 

Alternate Nonsense!

However the 6th Iteration is still up on LEGO Ideas right now, and currently has 2036 Supporters! If you would like to give your support as well, I'll include the link here. We would really appreciate any support given! :) 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/66655f37-9622-4836-a2cb-797e916f4e2b

Anyways, that's the whole story on the MOC! This was by far (not counting my disastrous attempt at a county courthouse when I was 15) my first successful MOC that I thought looked relatively decent! Please tell me what you think, anything you like about it, etc., in your replies! I'll finish with a couple shots from last December and our promotional Winter Photoshoot! :) 

The Glacier Falls LodgeThe Glacier Falls LodgeThe Glacier Falls Lodge

Thanks for reading! :) 

Edited by Elysiumfountain
Forgot to add picture!

Absolutely incredible. Really enjoyed seeing all the development stages, that's really cool to take photos along the way. You made one beautiful and massive building. Lego Ideas 3,000 piece limit can go to heck. Did they tell Mozart 'too many notes'? :tongue:

Thank you! :) I'd been meaning to share the MOC here on EB for ever but never got around to it, and then I realized I had photos of all the different iterations and thought what the heck might as well show the process! :) 

Thanks for sharing the evolution of these bricks! Sad that you could keep the interiors for IDEAS, since lots of people really like the insides of buildings, even Lego designers,  as is evident by the expanding interiors of their modular buildings. Great builds!

Thank you! It was quite a challenge. Especially considering all the different interior rooms, and things! And then the wheelchair mining came along, which made me realize that none of these hotels were ADA compliant! 

Edited by Elysiumfountain

On 4/6/2018 at 8:43 PM, Elysiumfountain said:

Wow, haven't been back on this page in a while! I'm happy to report that the project on Ideas is now 3/10 of the way there with 3012 supporters!! But it only has 98 days left so it probably won't make it. But it's been a great run! 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/66655f37-9622-4836-a2cb-797e916f4e2b

I see that you've resubmitted it today! - LEGO Ideas - The Glacier Falls Lodge :classic: