Hi everyone!

This is my first post, so please bare with me...

I would love to make a model for Lego Ideas, but need a good theme; idea. Maybe have any ideas?

I would like a theme; idea that the Lego community in general would like. Something that can earn a lot of support. Maybe some old theme that I can redo, or maybe even something totally new.

It should also be something that wouldn't have a lot of copyright issues, etc. so that it wouldn't be to hard for the Lego Group to actually pass it through if it ever got 10,000 supporters.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts... :grin:

I would definitely suggest something original attached to no IPs; but if you do consider any licensed property, research its ownership well.

I know this may not be as easy as a one and done creation, but I personally think a Creator style multiple build project would be quite favorable for Ideas staff members. Choose a genre though that is not as typical for the Creator theme, something of a more Sci-fi/Fantasy or Historical bent. 

I think that a Classic Spaceship Creator project would be cool; and such a project does not need to stay limited to two alternate builds, since the Creator theme in the past has given us 8 in 1 and 15 in 1 sets at times.

For historical Creator type projects, this one modular castle project has had some considerable success, gathering about 2200+ supporters.

Kingdoms Modular Castle Creator by mkalkwarf.

Spoiler

2607153-o_1aq32tg9t18le17981prhgg3hf5p-t

Bottom line, I think the essence of the multiple build Creator concept is great since it encourages customers to buy multiple copies for modular expansion and inspires creativity. :classic: 

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I would definitely suggest something original attached to no IPs; but if you do consider any licensed property, research its ownership well.

I know this may not be as easy as a one and done creation, but I personally think a Creator style multiple build project would be quite favorable for Ideas staff members. Choose a genre though that is not as typical for the Creator theme, something of a more Sci-fi/Fantasy or Historical bent. 

I think that a Classic Spaceship Creator project would be cool; and such a project does not need to stay limited to two alternate builds, since the Creator theme in the past has given us 8 in 1 and 15 in 1 sets at times.

For historical Creator type projects, this one modular castle project has had some considerable success, gathering about 2200+ supporters.

Kingdoms Modular Castle Creator by mkalkwarf.

Reveal hidden contents

2607153-o_1aq32tg9t18le17981prhgg3hf5p-t

Bottom line, I think the essence of the multiple build Creator concept is great since it encourages customers to buy multiple copies for modular expansion and inspires creativity. :classic: 

Wow! :blush: Thanks Digger of Bricks for your answer! I agree that a Creator style multiple build project would be great, and as you said would also more likely appeal with the Ideas staff members.

I'll post a thread if I put something on Lego Ideas!

Thanks again...

Edited by PawpawBuilder

If anyone had such a winning idea, I think they'd do it themselves.

12 hours ago, PawpawBuilder said:

Wow! :blush: Thanks Digger of Bricks for your answer! I agree that a Creator style multiple build project would be great, and as you said would also more likely appeal with the Ideas staff members.

I'll post a thread if I put something on Lego Ideas!

Thanks again...

Something also I think that would make for a great Ideas project would be a twelve to sixteen inch model of Pacific Rim's Gypsy Danger, complete with a UCS plaque and minifigures of the Jaeger's two pilots Raleigh Becket and Mako Mori.

Such a project may come to prove popular come March next year with the release of the film's sequel Pacific Rim: Uprising. As far as the license goes, I think that may be easy for TLG to obtain, since they already have a partnership with the sequel's distributor Universal Pictures. 

Now like I had previously suggested with Creator in my prior post, maybe this project could be even better if the set could rebuild into Gypsy's successor Gypsy Avenger, the main star Jaeger of next year's sequel. They are somewhat similar in build and appearance, so perhaps the set's part content could easily be able to rebuild into either Jaeger, given the two pictorial examples shown below.

th?id=OIP.GtncUqXWlXJeOmU9C2lmugEbDc&pidth?id=OIP.bgyelvu674z2FWgf7tFG3wE6DG&pid

Edited by Digger of Bricks

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Something also I think that would make for a great Ideas project would be a twelve to sixteen inch model of Pacific Rim's Gypsy Danger, complete with a UCS plaque and minifigures of the Jaeger's two pilots Raleigh Becket and Mako Mori.

Such a project may come to prove popular come March next year with the release of the film's sequel Pacific Rim: Uprising. As far as the license goes, I think that may be easy for TLG to obtain, since they already have a partnership with the sequel's distributor Universal Pictures. 

Now like I had previously suggested with Creator in my prior post, maybe this project could be even better if the set could rebuild into Gypsy's successor Gypsy Avenger, the main star Jaeger of next year's sequel. They are somewhat similar in build and appearance, so perhaps the set's part content could easily be able to rebuild into either Jaeger, given the two pictorial examples shown below.

th?id=OIP.GtncUqXWlXJeOmU9C2lmugEbDc&pidth?id=OIP.bgyelvu674z2FWgf7tFG3wE6DG&pid

Man! You got some great Ideas! If your a builder, why not give it yourself a try?

1 hour ago, PawpawBuilder said:

Man! You got some great Ideas! If your a builder, why not give it yourself a try?

Well, actually I haven't built in a long time, due primarily to mostly unsorted bricks. I've amassed a pretty large collection from almost second hand collections entirely, gathered over the years from various local thrift stores and garage sales. 

So I'd say about half my collection has been sorted; but what I have sorted is color sorted, which is actually frustrating since finding bricks you need in a monochrome pool of parts is just plain mind numbing. I just simply need to resort those bricks AND the completely unsorted ones for a much more pleasant inventory search. But I unfortunately don't have the large amount of expendable time for neither. :sad:

Now CAD software is an option, but since I only use a tablet, Mecabricks is the only cloud based Lego software available now. It's not that bad despite its various holes in its inventory, I just simply need to get the hang of it, something I still don't quite have down. 

6 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

You can't go wrong with a well designed modular building! There are quite places a few that haven't been made yet!

True, those do have some pretty good success on Ideas! 

The thing is though, most successful 10K modular formula projects have been rejected in past reviews since they were made as contributions to the existing Creator Expert line of modulars. This eventually became apparent, and therefore more users there started submitting modular projects that stood apart from the Creator Expert line. The one most noteworthy and successful example of this is this year's 21310 Old Fishing Store, a set most well received by many fans.

So case in point, if one were to consider a modular formulated project, make a standalone one which doesn't lean on an already existing line.

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

True, those do have some pretty good success on Ideas! 

The thing is though, most successful 10K modular formula projects have been rejected in past reviews since they were made as contributions to the existing Creator Expert line of modulars. This eventually became apparent, and therefore more users there started submitting modular projects that stood apart from the Creator Expert line. The one most noteworthy and successful example of this is this year's 21310 Old Fishing Store, a set most well received by many fans.

So case in point, if one were to consider a modular formulated project, make a standalone one which doesn't lean on an already existing line.

Yeah, that makes sense. Originality is what LEGO wants from ideas anyway I believe. 

Hey @PawpawBuilder! Not sure if you are still around, perhaps you're working on a Ideas project currently; but if you are still looking for a great idea, here is another suggestion.

A favorite subgenre of mine some AFOLs are known for building within primarily is Sky-fi, a subgenre of the broader Cyberpunk derivative known as Dieselpunk. Sky-fi mostly revolves around fantastical propeller powered fighter planes, with its best known mainstream example being the early 2000's Xbox game Crimson Skies. One of the most praised AFOL builders of this subgenre is British builder JonHall18, who had even submitted a near successful Ideas project based upon his most popular model. 

Here is a Flickr gallery of mine of some of my favorite creations found around the site from various builders for further inspiration. :sweet:

Digger of Bricks Sky-fi Favorites