Lowa

Button Control Panel: decoupler, boom barrier, switches and lights

This is a control panel made with our button controls.  It controls a decoupler, two boom barriers, a track switch and a traffic light.  The buttons interconnect and each button is powered by the previous button, the first button is powered by a power brick.  The goal is to be able to automate all aspects of your LEGO train layout.  It's inspired by the vintage 12V system but designed for PF and 9V track.  We're planning on launching a campaign for these button controls on Kickstarter later this month.

Decoupler is 3D printed and PF track compatible.  It decouples the train by blocking the wheels of the cars that have to be decoupled.  It's powered by a servo motor.

The boom barriers are made with a small servo motors, they measure 2 x 4 x 3+1/3.

Let us know what  you think!

Lol, everything is automated except the train. But I like it.

Would it be what I want? No, not yet.
- I am driving 9v. So I would like to see less wires.
- It should be possible to use the current from the track to control/charge the different elements.
- And communicate by wifi or something else.

These are just my thoughts.

Edited by FreeBee

I don't have enough time next to my normal work, Ministickers and a start-up that we are working on, but I have once come up with a POC to also automate the train without modifications on the train site: you could add an IR LED to the signal that sends IR stop commands. Only thing is that it will be difficult to determine what stop command to send if you run with more trains. One solution would be to use NFC identification on the train, but that will be not for beginners, I did some successful testing with it.

@Lowa looking forward to the kickstarter. Can't you also become an (open system) i-Brixs competitor?! Might include wireless charging of trains :)