When I was in high school, we had a little bus; we called it "The Toaster." We had big buses for the large football team and various student "schlepping," but the Toaster was the perfect size for a cross country or soccer team. But, boy was it hot; the short wheelbase and many windows fused shut allowed for virtually no air movement in travel, and it would spend all day baking in the hot Arizona desert. Hence the name.

But this bus holds a special place in my heart, and this contest is a great way to visualize my fantasies of the ultimate racing bus. What would it be like to give the bus a stupid big engine, and some sport tires, and make it visually hot?

So here we go, a project to idealize my perfect Toaster with some fun features to gain an advantage in a wacky race.  

Features, all manual

• HOG Steering
  • Rear Wheel Drive
  • V-12 Fake Engine (Power!)
  • Attacking Side Skirt
  • Bench Seat thrower (because you can't throw children)
  • Emergency Exit
  • Side Door
  • Stop Sign (because sometimes diplomacy is the best option)

36202864053_84daaef143_b.jpg

More to follow...

Just now, Thirdwigg said:
  • Child thrower (because you can't throw benches)

Are you sure? 

I like the idea, V12 FTW (for the win) and the child (bench) thrower (ha)

Great idea, but can I suggest one thing...

You should make the rear of the bus like the front of a toaster! - it would make it much more wacky!

Thanks all. I spent some time on the project this weekend, and the chassis is all done. Steering and driveline is in and working well. No more changes will be made to the suspension, and the frame will only have modifications as the body starts taking shape.

I spent a lot of time on the attacking side skirt. I guess how it worked in my head still missed some parts that were needed in reality, so it took more time than I thought. Either way, it's in, and it working well. See a small flickr video here.

I'll show a picture of The Toaster as it currently stands, later tonight.

OK, a little more work has been done. The body is starting to take shape, and I have two drafts of the wacky function inside the bus. Overall the appearance is not too wacky, so I'll need to work on that. I'll keep moving forward...

36383251623_5a9078fc4e_b.jpg

This is some school bus. Nothing like the school buses in my area, but that makes this all the more wacky. Good luck!

Will we get an opening door? It's an interesting mechanism.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

16 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This is some school bus. Nothing like the school buses in my area, but that makes this all the more wacky. Good luck!

Will we get an opening door? It's an interesting mechanism.

Turning a school bus into something wacky has been a challenge. I'm currently working on making it more wacky with limited success. I'm working on the opening door now. Still finalizing the design.

9 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

looks like you get to school a little too fast!! Really nice build!!

Glad you like it.

6 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Looks cool, reminds me of Miss Fritter from Cars3 movie...

I was not aware of that character. I'll try to incorporate some of the design themes as I am able.

I'm glad everyone likes it so far. I was a little hesitant about the chucking the passenger seats, so I'm glad people think its a fun wacky feature. I just made a bricklink order of a gazzillon blue 3x5L liftarms, which felt a little weird.

@mocbuild101, I should state, Thirdwigg Racing cares about the safety and well being of all race participants, fans, and spectators. No persons will be allowed to ride along in The Toaster or harmed in a race situation to allow for proper and safe seat ejection.

I'll move to work on the front of the Bus tonight. I need to clean up the hood, and make the engine look even more wild. Also, @BrickbyBrickTechnic, I managed to get the front entry door to work. I'll show that soon.

I keep making progress, which is good since the deadline is getting closer.

23677715478_0b877a285c_c.jpg

The passenger door is now working, which you can see here. The hardpoints for the body is done, so now I need to work on the details: lights, stop sign, front hood, grill, and engine details. I think a little more color is needed, and all the blue seats will help. Maybe a little more splash with a blue stripe or something. Thoughts? Also maybe some LBG wheels instead of the black.

Should be done in a couple of days.

Nice to se some more progress, but I think it needs something visually wacky... Maybe a cannon on the roof, or some wheel spikes?

22 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Maybe a little more splash with a blue stripe or something? maybe some LBG wheels instead of the black?

Well, to be honest, I'd say no, and no - I think they would just ruin the nice clean color scheme you have.