Hive

Is LEGO entering a Dark Age - or am I?

7 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

For example, I almost bought the Arctic Roller; it was so different from anything else, some great part usage, etc. But when I held the box in person (after reading reviews and such online) it felt...I dunno, insubstantial. I ended up not getting it.

Now that I am sitting here typing this out I can see that it is probably just me being a jaded adult with bills to pay.

If you were tempted - do yourself a favour and pick it up - it really is a cool little set. It's also widely discounted at the moment so you should be able to find it at least 20% off 

I think most AFOLs feel jaded from time to time btw. For me the fix for that is to carve out a couple of hours, put on some tunes and build something :)

I think AFOLs should recognize that they are not center-stage. Its foremost a kids-toy. And a really good one. Probably the best. When I came back to Lego (not as long ago as many around here), I was so excited about the inventiveness and how far Lego has got since I looked at their sets last time. Yes, the lack of classic themes is a shame, but times are changing and interests shift. At the same time there are across the themes so many interesting sets around - and many of them even qualify as related to the classic ones (just naming the cool Ninjago Sky Pirate subtheme).

Additionally there are plenty of CMFs around each wave that are a nod to us AFOLs with references to the good-ol' themes. Its all in all not that bad really. :wink:

Edit: The Arctic Roller is just a brilliant car. My personal favourite of the whole Batman-Movie theme. Such a wonderful dieselpunk-freakout! :classic:

Edited by Littleworlds

15 hours ago, Hive said:

I'm not convinced this is true. Look at Playmobil: they still have success with unpersonalized characters and keep being able to sell classic themes long abandoned by LEGO, such as Castle and Pirates. While not as big a company as LEGO, obviously, I'm sure they wouldn't do it if it didn't sell. And their target age groups are the same.

I was just about to say "Yeah, Playmobil even hasn't given in to intellectual properties yet", looked up their current product line, and then I was just like...

th?id=OIP.lc8Y5JMnqtEi4CUOve-FYQDSEo&pid

WHEN THE HECK DID PLAYMOBIL START OBTAINING LICENSED PROPERTIES?!  :distressed:

I mean, they have already accumulated Ghostbusters, How to Train Your Dragon, and NHL licences! I remember once picking up a 2014 catalog of theirs at a hobby store years ago, and none of that was part of their product line. :hmpf_bad:

On 6.09.2017 at 1:34 AM, Evolved Turtle said:

I wish there was a fantasy theme centered around brick-built dragons, much like the fan-made one here; 

YEah... because Lego do not owns fantastic ELVES series.
Seriously guys.2016 and 2017 WAS a great castle year even if we did not get a "classic" castle them.

The only thing that makes me mad is price going up with quality going down and making bigger sets JUST for figures (as often SW/SH do). I see no problem in battlepacks.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

10 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I don't think it's "wrong" to not like a theme. I think it's "wrong" to make up silly excuses for why a modern theme aimed at ages 7+ (like Ninjago, Elves, or Nexo Knights) is somehow "more childish" than a classic theme aimed at the same age range or younger (like City, Castle, or Pirates). It's a profoundly lazy way to dismissing themes you don't like by making them sound frivolous or unsophisticated, and you'd think AFOLs would know better than to resort to that sort of rhetoric given how easy it is for people outside the community to dismiss our entire hobby in those same terms. We should all be big enough to admit when we don't like a theme without making it sound like it's beneath our dignity or insinuating that the stuff we DO like is more grown-up or mature somehow.

I mean, really, how are smiley-faced spacemen in color coded onesies with a big, cartoony planet logo on the front any more "grown up" than ninjas with shiny gold weapons fighting spooky snake monsters? Just because the people who enjoyed the classic themes have grown up does not make liking those themes any more of a grown-up thing than liking more recent stuff. It's that double standard that bothers me — the idea that older kid-targeted themes or brands are perfectly acceptable for grown-ups to enjoy, but they'd be debasing themselves to enjoy anything newer, even if it's targeted at the same age range as the old stuff.

Your comment about LEGO "producing less and less sets that can appeal to kids and adults alike" further exemplifies this. I'm an adult and Ninjago and Elves are among my all-time favorite themes. Given the amount of enthusiasm and discussion of those themes on sites like this one, I hardly think I'm alone in that. How many adults does it take to like a theme or product before it qualifies as something that "can appeal to kids and adults alike"?

I never used the word "childish". In fact, I haven't noticed anyone but you do so in this thread. I'm just saying that minidolls and outlandish vehicles doesn't appeal to me. They do to you, and that's fine - I didn't mean to offend you.

I will say though, that in general terms, I'm certain that minifigs and structures have an easier appeal to adults than minidolls and vehicles. But of course, that doesn't apply to everyone. Again: tastes differ, and that's great. But back when I started collecting, there was something for pretty much everyone, due to the variety: Castle, Pirates, Space, City, Action, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc... now, I simply feel there's far less variety. If you don't like action themes, minidolls or Star Wars, there's not much. And I get that the fans of those themes defend LEGO with a passion, because after all, they're getting what they love - but the rest of us aren't.

5 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

I think AFOLs should recognize that they are not center-stage. Its foremost a kids-toy.

Please, not this again. Noone said that it wasn't; we all realize that LEGO is first and foremost a kids' toy that we're all collecting. Not I, nor anyone else here for that matter, neither demand nor expect LEGO to change their target group from kids to adults. So please don't go there.

48 minutes ago, Lordofdragonss said:

Seriously guys.2016 and 2017 WAS a great castle year even if we did not get a "classic" castle them.

That's your opinion, and that's fine. But don't spout it out as if it's some universal truth that we just aren't "getting" the way enlightened you are. Tastes differ: and a lot of us dislike both Nexo Knights and Elves. That doesn't make us wrong, it doesn't make us less fans of LEGO than you; it just means that we have different views and expectations towards a Castle theme and what kind of pieces we have use for.

3 hours ago, Hive said:

Please, not this again. Noone said that it wasn't; we all realize that LEGO is first and foremost a kids' toy that we're all collecting. Not I, nor anyone else here for that matter, neither demand nor expect LEGO to change their target group from kids to adults. So please don't go there.

Ah, well. No-one in this threat said that at least. :wink: But I often encounter the attitude, that some AFOLs think they know better than the kids what they like, or should like. Nostalgia is strong and blurs the sense of reality. If I could pick how my ideal sets would look like, they would be much different from what's on the shelves right now, but I'm not going to buy tenthousands of them or more. :laugh:

On 9/5/2017 at 5:15 AM, Hive said:

Back when I came back from my so called LEGO Dark Ages in around 2009 (and the years that followed), there were sooo many great LEGO themes and sets out there. <snipped> Great LEGO sets everywhere, and so many I regret missing out on - especially these days where there is NOTHING at all that appeals to me (not counting a CMF here and there). <snipped> There's just nothing that appeals to me anymore - it seems like everything is either mini dolls or action/outlandish vehicles heavy.

I agree with you for the most part.  Outside of Star Wars and the really expensive sets like the modulars and trains, there isn't much I have to have.  Even with Star Wars, I can't get excited over half of it.  The buildable figures do nothing for me.  The PT and animated stuff does nothing for me.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:56 AM, Robert8 said:

I sometimes feel the licensed themes (Star Wars and Superheroes) are taking over LEGO. And they are always like the same. There are like 23492348 Batman sets and the some Star Wars sets already have like 3 or 4 iterations (or even 8 like the Millennium Falcon!)

And the approach of the non-licensed themes is very childish. The Ninja theme from the late 90's became Ninjago. Castle became Nexo Knights. (Watch the next one in that vein being a Space theme). But this isn't LEGO's fault. Times change, and we change with them. That's what kids like now. They are looking for more personalized toys with characters they can relate to. So, instead of having a random gang of ninjas in the 90's, now there are 5 defined characters with a different color scheme each, so everyone can pick a favorite. Same with Nexo Knights.

Things are cyclical.  People grow up, and new markets emerge.  This is why we see so many Star Wars re-issues.  LEGO is in the business of selling toys to kids, not collectibles to adults.  If they see a new batch of kids every 5 years, they're going to re-release those sets that are going to appeal to them.  Every Star Wars fan is going to want a Millenium Falcon.  TLG is going to give them their opportunity to buy on.

While I can see the appeal of Chima and Ninjago for kids, they don't do anything for me.  And I totally agree about Nexo Knights.  Just awful.  But, again, I see why kids might like them.  These themes aren't bad themes.  They're just bad for AFOLs who can't appreciate them.  The kids I know know still love this stuff and get it for gifts.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:28 AM, jodawill said:

The biggest problem I have with Lego these days is that it's no longer what people call an "open" toy. Sets used to contain much more generic pieces and used unrealistically bright colors, like yellow for sand. When I was a kid, we didn't just build sets and set them on a shelf. We dumped all of the parts into a tub and built rainbow buildings. I think the new sets leave very little to the imagination.

This same tired argument pops up all the time.  It's your imagination that limits you, not the parts selection.  If LEGO was still just selling basic 1X and 2X bricks, they'd be gone.  Did you walk to school uphill in the snow, too?

On 9/5/2017 at 7:59 AM, ElectroDiva said:

So far we've had Assembly Square, a new Carousel, Silent Mary, Joker's low rider, Penguin Arctic Roller, Batman CMF series, Ninjago City, Destiny's Bounty, Old Fishing store, Saturn V, UCS Snowspeeder and a new UCS Falcon still to come!!

This might be part of the problem LEGO is facing.  I only buy the really high end expensive sets these days.  I wonder if the margins are lower on these to keep the prices relatively low.  But then again, I don't think AFOL spending either way has enough impact on sales to lower profits.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:17 PM, rodiziorobs said:

Problem is most of those sets are over $100, and the couple that aren't (the Batman stuff you list) have a niche appeal and while nice, are overpriced for what they are. For me the strength of the product doesn't depend on the quality or value of their most expensive items (since I will never be able to afford all those sets you list), but by the low to mid-range items. I agree with @Hive that there is very little that appeals to me that isn't expensive--while I would love to spend a little here and a little there, there is not much that's worth it unless you want to plunk down a lot of $$$ for a set.

Agreed.  Gone are the days of me picking up a $15 - $25 set every time I'm at the store.  There's nothing in that price range that appeals to me.  Maybe this sort of discretionary spending is taking it's toll.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:20 PM, Vindicare said:

As a whole, I'm still very pleased with LEGO's offerings as a whole. But, it will be nice to see Classic Castle, Space, and Pirates again. 

Agreed.  While we will always have Classic Town on the shelves, it would be nice always have another classic available, too.  Maybe they could rotate Castle, Space, Pirates, etc.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:25 PM, AntiKragle said:

Looking back at catalogues between '83 and '88 (when I was a child enchanted by Lego) there was a simplicity to the sets that included a much higher proportion of low to medium priced items, compared to more expensive sets, than are available now.  There were suggestions for alternative builds. There were few stickers that restrict the utility and re-use of bricks. 

In the current era, across a vast range of themes Lego has failed to deliver pocket money affordability (CMFs have limited playability) for today's children and they need to look at having proportionately more sets in the €10 to €20 bracket. I think that more useful classic and creator sets need to be released (we don't need 42 colours in each set) and a limit on the number of licensed themes to help keep price per part costs down. There will always be bigger sets for special occasions and always room for AFOL-targeted mega sets but the bigger picture needs to be smaller.

I would like to see the return of alternate builds featured on the packaging.  This is done well on the Creator sets, but should be done across the board.  Show kids that they don't have to build the Batmobile.  Show them they can build whatever they want.  Should it be obvious?  Yes.  Is it to today's kid? I'm not so sure.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:51 PM, koalayummies said:

I feel like this is one of the best times to be an AFOL but I agree with a lot of what has been said, especially that licensed content is taking over while original content, ideas and themes seem a bit neglected.

However if no official retail sets appeal to you then you can always MOC/MOD, there are so many ways to get the pieces one needs, multiple digital building programs... You can be a Lego builder without being enthusiastic about retail sets and make things that are way better than Lego would bring to market.  

Agreed.  This is the best time ever for AFOLs.  The high end sets are exactly what we've been asking for.

On the flip side, I can on'y buy so many $150 - $300 sets per year.  That limit is usually 1 or 2.  After that, I just look at them in awe.

And with the lack of retail set appeal for me, I spend WAY more on used LEGO than new.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:07 PM, BrickG said:

I think they're getting better honestly. Sets are getting nicer. Minifigures getting better (the Batman movie molds were fantastic). There are still some issues but in general I think what causes a Lego dark age is usually just someone needing a Lego break.

No doubt.  Minifigures are incredible right now.  But does that level of detail also limit their reusability?  I can't make Batman fit my Castle layout.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:12 PM, Peppermint_M said:

I always find it a little odd though, that people are so dependent on the sets to perpetuate the hobby. In terms of colour variety and parts available we are absolutely rich in choice. Friends, Elves and Super Hero Girls have provided a fresh bright selection of colours for the basic parts. City Explorers is a fab new sub-theme with a great pile of wildlife to add to the LEGO menagerie and Classic is great for parts now. The creative boxes in four colours boost your parts count cheaply. 

I think most AFOLs look at sets as you do; how can I use these new pieces to further my own building.

I don't think the primary market, kids, does this.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:34 PM, Evolved Turtle said:

That being said, I wish LEGO hadn't ended LOTR so quickly. We only got one of "The Two Towers" and that isn't even mentioning tons of other locations, creatures, and minifigures that were never made. Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, The Prancing Pony, Minas Morgul, the Bridge of Khazad-Dum with Durin's Bane, fell beasts, oliphaunts, the Watcher in the water, the Witch King, Faramir, Eowyn... I could go on for hours...

I think LotR was a very narrow theme.  It just didn't have the broad appeal.  If it was selling, and making money, they would have produced more.  It just didn't.  I LOVE the books.  I was as excited as anyone to see LEGO LotR.  Even I didn't buy much of it.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:12 AM, Matti said:

First thing that stood clear too me was; Kill the Star Wars license

Why would they do this?  If the Star Wars license was losing money, they wouldn't renew it.  Because they have renewed it for 20 years, I strongly suspect it is profitable.

5 hours ago, Hive said:

I never used the word "childish". In fact, I haven't noticed anyone but you do so in this thread. I'm just saying that minidolls and outlandish vehicles doesn't appeal to me. They do to you, and that's fine - I didn't mean to offend you.

I will say though, that in general terms, I'm certain that minifigs and structures have an easier appeal to adults than minidolls and vehicles. But of course, that doesn't apply to everyone. Again: tastes differ, and that's great. But back when I started collecting, there was something for pretty much everyone, due to the variety: Castle, Pirates, Space, City, Action, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc... now, I simply feel there's far less variety. If you don't like action themes, minidolls or Star Wars, there's not much. And I get that the fans of those themes defend LEGO with a passion, because after all, they're getting what they love - but the rest of us aren't.

Your post didn't offend me by any means. My rant about people dismissing newer themes as "childish" was not directed strictly at you, but rather at a lot of the more general comments I see about today's themes (like Robert8's initial reply in this topic).

I think suggesting there was "something for pretty much everyone" back in the day is overstating things a lot. I mean, for starters, there's the whole issue of what was there for girls. Obviously there's no reason girls COULDN'T play with the themes back then, but for the most part they weren't, because in one way or another those themes weren't pressing the right buttons for them. Genre-wise, 2009 also didn't really have any superhero-themed sets, or any video game themed sets, or any dinosaur-themed sets, or any princess-themed sets, or any ninja-themed sets. The classic themes are great in their own right and it's no fluke that they're so beloved, but they aren't all-encompassing by any stretch of the imagination.

Generally speaking, doesn't the fact that LEGO is selling so many more sets than they were in 2009 seem to imply that they're reaching a wider audience than they were back then? I know there are certainly factors to that besides the variety of sets they offer, such as marketing campaigns and international expansion, but even so, I don't get the sense that LEGO fans of any age are becoming less numerous or less diverse in their interests.

Thing is with Star Wars (as said above) is that Lego are always trying to reel in a new generation of fans. That's why we see so many iterations of the Falcon, and the X Wing. 

4 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

Ah, well. No-one in this threat said that at least. :wink: But I often encounter the attitude, that some AFOLs think they know better than the kids what they like, or should like. Nostalgia is strong and blurs the sense of reality. If I could pick how my ideal sets would look like, they would be much different from what's on the shelves right now, but I'm not going to buy tenthousands of them or more. :laugh:

I agree with this, Nexo Knights, Minecraft, Elves etc. You may not like those themes but a lot of kids do.

8 hours ago, Hive said:

, there was something for pretty much everyone, due to the variety: Castle, Pirates, Space, City, Action, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc... now, I simply feel there's far less variety. If you don't like action themes, minidolls or Star Wars, there's not much. And I get that the fans of those themes defend LEGO with a passion, because after all, they're getting what they love - but the rest of us aren't.

But aren't there lots of other themes besides the ones you've mentioned? You've got the modular buildings, the collectible minifigures line, the Architecture series, the City line, technic, racers etc. There's still a lot of other themes to choose from.

23 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

But aren't there lots of other themes besides the ones you've mentioned? You've got the modular buildings, the collectible minifigures line, the Architecture series, the City line, technic, racers etc. There's still a lot of other themes to choose from.

I think what is lacking recently is the one year theme. Some of these used to be great:

Pharoah's Quest, Alien Conquest, Monster Fighters, Dino (2012), even Atlantis. They went downhill a bit with Galaxy Squad, and then Ultra Agents.

Of course, this seems to have been replaced by the one year licensed theme - Angry Birds, Scooby Doo.

14 hours ago, Hive said:

This is when I need to remind myself it's a kids toy: all the vehicles. I've skipped out on a lot of vehicles that I really like, because I just have so many, and they're virtually the same. I was so ecstatic when we got the new van last year, I jumped at that one(especiallly for its price). 

It's completely understandable with SW, but with Superheroes it's a bit more frustrating. That stuff should be more location based. But, they have parameters to work in & they know their target audience(again, the reminder). 

If we buy it (no matter what the subject is) , then Lego will stick with producing that line or lines. The only way to change things, is to keep your wallet/ purse closed ,then they will drop that line ( Chima , for instance)..the only real darkness hovering around Lego ,is that are they not shy about hiking up prices on their well established/ strongly followed themes..in this sense the Lego group seems more like Disney (or Octan!) than the friendly cuddly kids toy manufacturer, that it still try's to pass itself off as!!

25 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

This is when I need to remind myself it's a kids toy: all the vehicles. I've skipped out on a lot of vehicles that I really like, because I just have so many, and they're virtually the same. I was so ecstatic when we got the new van last year, I jumped at that one(especiallly for its price). 

It's completely understandable with SW, but with Superheroes it's a bit more frustrating. That stuff should be more location based. But, they have parameters to work in & they know their target audience(again, the reminder). 

Very true with the super hero thing. Imagine how much better the Killer Croc Sewer Smash set would have been if it was ACTUALLY a sewer.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

I think what is lacking recently is the one year theme. Some of these used to be great:

Pharoah's Quest, Alien Conquest, Monster Fighters, Dino (2012), even Atlantis. They went downhill a bit with Galaxy Squad, and then Ultra Agents.

Of course, this seems to have been replaced by the one year licensed theme - Angry Birds, Scooby Doo.

I wouldn't say that the one-year licenses have replaced other one-year themes, just because even back in the years you describe there were no shortage of one-year licenses. Prince of Persia, Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lone Ranger… and if you're counting Atlantis, which got a smaller second wave, as a one year theme, you might as well throw in Cars and Harry Potter, which each got a two-year run during that same period.

Beyond that, the 2013 Castle and 2015 Pirates waves could arguably be considered "one-and-done" themes in hindsight, and as you mentioned there was also Galaxy Squad in 2013 and Ultra Agents in 2014–2015. For that matter, why not throw in The LEGO Movie as a 2014 example? It was much bigger and more heavily marketed than other themes you mention, but it had a similar release schedule. I don't think themes like this have been gone nearly long enough to read any kind of trend into it, and chances are the only reason we didn't have one last year or this year is because of The LEGO Ninjago Movie (originally scheduled for 2016) and The LEGO Batman Movie taking their place.

Just now, r5-j2 said:

If we buy it (no matter what the subject is) , then Lego will stick with producing that line or lines. The only way to change things, is to keep your wallet/ purse closed ,then they will drop that line ( Chima , for instance).

You say that as if Chima was cut short somehow, instead of having a fairly healthy three-year run? It definitely got smaller and had some sets cancelled by the end, but it still had a somewhat substantial final year, and it's not like it was ever expected to be evergreen.

I also don't think that as a community our purchasing decisions have very much impact on how well themes that aren't aimed at us in the first place end up lasting. Maybe a bit more impact in the case of those of us who are parents, but even then, AFOLs make up a pretty small slice of the KFOL parent demographic. If every AFOL were to abruptly stop buying Ninjago or City or Friends sets, then it'd probably mean fewer D2C sets like Temple of Airjitzu or Ninjago City, but it wouldn't be the death knell for the theme as a whole by any stretch of the imagination. The only themes the AFOL community could really stand any chance of killing are themes that are aimed at an older audience to begin with such as Ideas, Architecture, Mindstorms, BrickHeadz, Creator Expert, etc.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:56 AM, Robert8 said:

And the approach of the non-licensed themes is very childish. The Ninja theme from the late 90's became Ninjago. Castle became Nexo Knights. (Watch the next one in that vein being a Space theme). 

Well seriously, how bad could a "big bang" Space theme be anyway? :shrug_confused:

With historical themes such as Ninjas and Castle, taking those into a more science fiction realm is much more concerning given the possibility that their potential popularity would eliminate the chance for a more historically rooted theme to ever reappear again.

In other words, how could Lego possibly screw up a Space theme? It is science fiction/fantasy based after all. 

15 hours ago, kibosh said:

I would like to see the return of alternate builds featured on the packaging.  This is done well on the Creator sets, but should be done across the board.  Show kids that they don't have to build the Batmobile.  Show them they can build whatever they want.  Should it be obvious?  Yes.  Is it to today's kid? I'm not so sure.

I highly agree with this. This is something that was part of a discussion started by @Karalora back in 2015, proposing that the multiple/alternate build concept be applied to many other themes beyond Creator and Technic. :classic:

Aanchir,I did not realise that Chima had a 3 year run,as I have only been an AFOL since 2015...but I have to say that even in that short time period ,I have noticed a change even a stale-ness in Lego (especially in the open backed creator sets..which others have already mentioned)...also a lot of questionable pricing of other lines..the Red Hulk set at £55.00 is a good example.Finally,with the recent legal threats against Jang and other ""You-Tuberz" and the sacking of so many of it's work force I no longer feel that Lego deserves the loyal following it has had up until now..at least  not from me.

Regards

Kenny.

To me , 2007 - 2016 have been amazing years for Lego. 

The Star Wars Buildable figures to me have been amazing, and I've collected a vast number of them, Lego Technic has just seen some amazing models produced, and some amazing tractors, cranes, trucks and excavators. 

Pirates of the Caribbean line have seen amazing ships with fantastic playable value, the architecture line and the module creator and export creator lines. Amazing years for Lego if you ask me, and we've seen some great own creations using bricks from these very sets. Some even made into official Lego idea. The Saturn V and old fishing house, wall- e. 

I have been happy to be a part of the expensive but fun hobby for 10 years. I haven't felt its been dark at all. Lets see what the next 10 years bring. Maybe I'm just easily pleased. 

Edited by iv-tecman
spelling

15 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I wouldn't say that the one-year licenses have replaced other one-year themes, just because even back in the years you describe there were no shortage of one-year licenses. Prince of Persia, Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lone Ranger… and if you're counting Atlantis, which got a smaller second wave, as a one year theme, you might as well throw in Cars and Harry Potter, which each got a two-year run during that same period.

Yes, that's very true. Perhaps I should have rephrased it as only licensed one year / short themes recently.

Obviously City tends to have its yearly theme, but it is a shame the unique type themes like MF have disappeared. Like you say, there is not enough evidence they have gone for good, let's hope that they have not.

On 9/7/2017 at 2:29 AM, Lordofdragonss said:

I think that 2016 and 2017 were great years for pastel dragons and sci-fi knights.  That does not make it a great year for Castle.  The best thing to happen for Castle was probably the Disney Castle.  If only that had come with about 10 new Castle minifigures instead of 5 Disney ones.

3 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I think that 2016 and 2017 were great years for pastel dragons and sci-fi knights.  That does not make it a great year for Castle.  The best thing to happen for Castle was probably the Disney Castle.  If only that had come with about 10 new Castle minifigures instead of 5 Disney ones.

Agreed. Then I would happily buy it, even at the steep price point it has.

I guess I can point out one thing I hate that's gotten worse (out of all the better things).

We're in the DARK AGES of PLAYABILITY STUFF!

I'm sick of getting those little shootable guns for my stormtroopers. I need the normal blasters. I've actually got to BUY extras now for my little guys from Bricklink. Also I often take off the shootable thingies on Star Wars ships. I don't want to PLAY with Lego. GOSH!

8 hours ago, BrickG said:

I guess I can point out one thing I hate that's gotten worse (out of all the better things).

We're in the DARK AGES of PLAYABILITY STUFF!

I'm sick of getting those little shootable guns for my stormtroopers. I need the normal blasters. I've actually got to BUY extras now for my little guys from Bricklink. Also I often take off the shootable thingies on Star Wars ships. I don't want to PLAY with Lego. GOSH!

Well, the kids that buy most Star Wars sets probably do. They are TLG's core demographic after all, not us.

Hey, I really myself don't have that much of an issue with today's stud shooter guns, cannons, and spring loaded shooters. Most of these playability gimmick functions are much better than the flick fire missiles and Technic mega missile shooters utilized in the past for sets.