Spacebrick

[MOC] Mods to sets 75101 FO Tie Fighter & 75155 U-Wing

Hello everybody and nice to meet you, I'm a new member on Eurobricks, I presented myself a few days ago here! 

Today I try to open my first thread, and doing so I would like to show you those creations of mine. They are not exactly mocs, as they are based on official sets, but they are sort of modifications I considered necessary to improve the original Lego models. Down here you can find the pictures of the Tie Fighter, a couple of posts below you can see my modded U-wing! So, let's start:

36850474382_3304713b58_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

36880865621_4d29ecb6fd_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

There are more modifications than you can probably see at a first look. First of all, the wings: black stripes have been placed on the inner side of the wings, and the outer black plates has been replaced with tiles. Inner and outer stripes has practically the same angle, so they blend easily in the model. Horizontal lines are realized by using 1x2 jumpers, diagonal lines with longer tiles, and are kept in place only with a 1x1 plate that allows the rotation of the elements. They are not very sturdy, but are more than enough if your plan is to show the model only on the pedestal. There were also some dbg plates in the wing panels, I replaced them with lbg to uniform the color. Moving to the cockpit, a big part of the curves have been redesigned to improve the sphere effect. Lego designers were clearly forced to create a playable solid model (and to include the horrible springload shooters), limitation I didn't have, so I could replace some pieces to improve the geometries and collocate the red parts in a more trusty way. I also used two small red stickers to create the right angle, but it hasn't been a so good idea, probably. The front printed round element has been rotate by 90 degrees to blend its joint with the red section. In the future I will probably replace the whole piece with another withound the joint (does it exist?) and in a different color, because I don't like the choice to use a transparent red piece. Another modified part is the joint of the cockpit with the wings, where I used some grill 1x2 tiles instead of simple 1x2 black tiles, as the real model shows far more lines than the actual set. Also the antenna has been simplified with smaller pieces to respect the right proportion with the ship.

36850473922_88c831e6b8_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

36186102274_2c44ba2154_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

The rear of the model has been totally redesigned, as you can see in the previous pictures. The engines on the side are definitely bigger and more protruding than the set's ones. Take a look at the end of the post to see a comparison with a toy model. I'm not sure about the red wake I included, but it's definitely nice! There were also some visible technic parts that have been covered with black tiles.

In the following pictures you can see the shape of the edge lines, more rounded both in the lower...

36186108444_67a7b37115_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

...and upper side:

36850476412_371c29393c_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

To achieve that, on the upper side of the cockpit I replaced part of the plates with tiles or slopes because I personally don't like visible studs.

Lastly, here it is the pedestal I created with spare technic parts. It is not adjustable as the one you can find in the UCS model, but keeps the fighter in a good angled position very nice to be exposed. The minifig will be replaced with the special forces pilot as soon as I will buy the new Kylo Ren's Tie Silencer. Another possibility would be to place, insted of the pilot, the characters who used this ship in the movie, Poe Dameron and Finn in the stormtrooper suit.

36850473342_fcc4e4a9ed_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

36850472912_02c031eae9_c.jpg[MOD] First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter by SpaceBrick, on Flickr

Thanks for reading, if you want to leave a comment you're welcome! I will listen carefully to every advice and possible improvement you wanna share!

p.s.: Down here, instead, you can find a couple of pictures of the toy model I used as reference and the actual Lego set:

model toy frontbeed1302-4343-4085-9a25-97b054c439b5_1.b70419805b07083233f0093499d1cb49.jpeg75101-FOSF-TIE-Fighter-Full-Set.jpg

Edited by Spacebrick

Welcome to the forum Spacebrick!

Neat little mod you made to the TIE Fighter, glad to see that the model gets some love because I think it deserves more praise than It got.

Im actually working on something for my own FO TIE at the moment.

I especially like your changes in the shape and colourization of the cockpit sphere, great idea to attach the front canopy pieces to the left where the red stripe is since the connecting handle of the canopy itself is red.

Looks a lot cleaner and realistic from the front!

Just now, BigEl said:

Welcome to the forum Spacebrick!

Neat little mod you made to the TIE Fighter, glad to see that the model gets some love because I think it deserves more praise than It got.

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. I agree with you, especially considering that this Tie model is the closest to the minifig scale, which unfortunately Lego never considered for this ship and I'd love to see in the future.

Hi again, as I promised, here it is the modified U-wing model 75155 that I purchased, with great discount, already with the idea to improve it as much as possible, without modifying the original proportions of the set. Just to be clear, this is not going to be a UCS model. Sorry for the pictures, I will update them when I will have comlpleted all the details of the moc, since I'm transforming the model in something better, as you will see at the end of the post!

So. this is the upgraded model with folded wings:

MvczoEo.jpg

and with open wings, placed on the Tie Fighter pedestal you have already seen:

ybb6E0u.jpg

The original set, with open wings, was already a big set, in my version is even bigger and it wasn't easy to take a photo with a totally white background. Now, I'm going to show more in detail the several modifications.

There is practically not even a single part left as the original. apart from the inside structure which keeps the model in place.

Engines: they have been advanced, elongated and placed closed one to each other. The wake now is blue as it looks in the movies.

Wings: they have been elongated by 6 studs (and maybe they should be elongated even more) to respect the real proportions, redesigned to enable their opening between the new motors and to hide the studs in the lateral interspace. On the upper surface I also removed more studs I could by using some 4x4 tiles with only one row of studs. They are still too much thick maybe, but to reduce more the thickness it's necessary to remove the interspace.:hummm:

KehUOXg.jpg

-Cockpit: elongated in the rear part. In the original set this part finished right after the glass without any reason.

-Rear: I added a sort of a black grill and I removed the open mechanism, since I'm not interested in playability.

nowCYjf.jpg

AYLILcA.jpg

-Front: this has been the hardest part by far, I tried several versions before I come up with this one, which is pretty similar to the original one. It is not the best solution in terms of resistence but represents angles and parts in a good way. I redesigned the front radiator (useful in space..) and cannons.

YMrsjca.jpg

-Lower part: differently from the other modifications, I had to reduce this part since it was quite oversized. This is not my idea, I found a good version on the youtube channel of Alternate Bricks and I followed his instructions, and then I modified it again to allow the opening of the door (it was not possible anymore since I advanced the engines).

jLdcEyF.jpg

And now let's pass to the moc I'm creating! This time, instead of prepare a pedestal, like I did with the Tie Fighter, I decided to create a small moc of Scarif with just some typical elements, an environment where I can place not only the U-wing but also the the main characters of the movie, Rogue One. I don't have the minifigure of Baze Malbus but I'm going to buy it as soon as possible.

FtMUx0z.jpg

6kT4KUc.jpg

Right now, I prepared just a small a sand strip, but I want to add at least a couple of palm trees on the background.

Just to have a comparison, here they are the pictures of the original set and the real model.

maxresdefault.jpg

star-wars-u-wing.jpg

And that's all! What do you think?? Do you like my version? Can I make any more improvements? Thank you for commenting! ;)

Edited by Spacebrick

3 hours ago, SergeantP said:

I don't see any pics of yout U-Wing...

I've tried with both pc and mobile and I can see them only from my pc, there is something wrong. I'll update the photos again with a different uploader as soon as I can, sorry.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:41 AM, Hold0511 said:

Only the original U-wing picture is showing for me.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:27 AM, SergeantP said:

I don't see any pics of yout U-Wing...

Pictures updated!! Tell me if you can see them now! ;)

Hi !
Il love the engines you built on your First Order TIE/Sf ! It will really inspire me to finish my own TIE MOC ;)
Thanks for sharing !

This mod is amazing! I was wondering if you could give us more detail regarding the structure and how you installed the modifications. I’m trying to modify my u-wing and I want to use your modifications in my set.

On 20/1/2018 at 2:52 AM, myboi329 said:

This mod is amazing! I was wondering if you could give us more detail regarding the structure and how you installed the modifications. I’m trying to modify my u-wing and I want to use your modifications in my set.

On 20/1/2018 at 7:18 AM, TemjinStrife said:

The nose on your U-wing particularly is much improved. How is it put together?

Thanks guys! :)
I have some pictures of the modified U-wing nose since a friend asked me exactly the same question, but unfortunately no one of the other modifications.

Those are more or less the instructions to make it. Assume that there are some differences from the orginal model already in the first picture, so before to start you'll have to work a bit with imagination. Tell me if you are not able to see the pictures, I had some similar problems in the past..

1) all the parts needed. There is a small mistake here, the 2x6 part with a couple of white rails on the top needs to be advanced by one stud, because the rail has to be placed under the windscreen:

k990AWW.jpg

Here's the mistake:

tQPOhXq.jpg

2) place the white block. Considering the mistake I told you before, you'll need one 1x6 plate more..

4NskDCi.jpg

3) tiles on the sides

tYaKLZV.jpg

4)place the headlights piece in the front

992315v.jpg

5)lay the radiator part on the dbg tiles and block it with the cannons

mJG5Mu2.jpg

6)place the wedges on the 1x2 jumper; this is a tricky passage because the supports are not so stable but you should be able to help yourself with something

52PIFs3.jpg

7) place the blue tiles.

ZN3GXwc.jpg

8) front view, there is space to fit some more pieces:

VKNFoNQ.jpg

Edited by Spacebrick
new pictures

The photos aren’t showing up, would you be able to repost them? I really enjoy your mods to the u wing and would like to take a stab at trying it myself! Cheers

On 21/2/2018 at 4:36 PM, Trevmadev said:

The photos aren’t showing up, would you be able to repost them? I really enjoy your mods to the u wing and would like to take a stab at trying it myself! Cheers

Sorry, I normally use a different uploader and it doesn't work here. Now you should be able to see them correctly. Cheers

The U wing looks amazing! No means to be rude, but with the FO Tie, where are the laser cannons?