GrahamSlam

Next UCS Set

Hey Eurobricks, 

I was just looking at the VIP poster you get at the Lego Store for Force Friday 2 when I noticed something. If you look at the sun on the poster, you can clearly see the silhouette of the bridge from an Imperial Star Destroyer. In addition, the poster shows of the UCS Falcon, so this could be hinting at another UCS ISD. Anyone agree with me? I can't attach the photo; file too large. Just look at the poster VIPS get after spending money at the Lego Store.

Edited by GrahamSlam

I think a good number of folk here would agree with you, myself included. I bloody hope so anyway. They've just given us a new Falcon after 10 years. It's been 15 years since the ISD.

There are some that say the next UCS set is featured in the artwork of the current UCS set.  In which case the artwork of the MF features Cloud City in the background :sceptic:

Here are the boxes in question.

On the Death Star box I've circled the silhouette of the Millennium Falcon, which we now know to be true. On the Millennium Falcon box there is a silhouette of the Imperial Star Destroyer in the same spot. It's even backlit to make it stand out a little more, just like the MF was.

This time though the silhouette isn't on the front of the box like it was with the DS, it's on the side. That's because the new MF box is a completely different style to what we've come to know. It's a much cleaner, classier design, which is appreciated when you're handing over that much money. 

36853444716_624a998fbe.jpg

36233954883_8aa026215c.jpg

36871296442_5913943e20.jpg

Edited by bataleon

Seems like quite the stretch to me to call this a confirmation, could be a random coinsidence as well as seeing a pattern here.

I mean, sure it would be nice to get a remake of the 2nd most expensive reseller set in Lego Star Wars, but I desperately crave for displayable Cloud City Set, especially new minifig versions of Lando and Luke.

Just mindboggling that the iconic last part of the best SW-movie barely gets any attention... (in contrast to Hoth or tatooine in the other movies for example).

Don't know. I know this is only one case, but it seems a mighty coincidence that a random Star Destroyer has been placed in the same place as the Falcon was on the UCS Death Star. I swear I saw a rumour of a USC ISD before but I might be wrong. It just seems too random and too obvious to be just background art. 

Bear in mind that the Falcon was not the next UCS set after the Death Star Redux. The Snowspeeder was. So if you choose to believe this silhouette is a tease for a new UCS Star Destroyer, it could just as easily (and more likely) be coming a year from now rather than in the winter/spring. My guess is that the next UCS set will be on the smaller size ($200 or less) to offset the extreme price of the Falcon, which makes an A-Wing or Poe's X-Wing the most logical choices. A TIE Bomber would be great, but that ship is dense, so I would expect a Bomber in scale with the UCS TIE Fighter to be more like $300. 

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

Bear in mind that the Falcon was not the next UCS set after the Death Star Redux. The Snowspeeder was. So if you choose to believe this silhouette is a tease for a new UCS Star Destroyer, it could just as easily (and more likely) be coming a year from now rather than in the winter/spring. My guess is that the next UCS set will be on the smaller size ($200 or less) to offset the extreme price of the Falcon, which makes an A-Wing or Poe's X-Wing the most logical choices. A TIE Bomber would be great, but that ship is dense, so I would expect a Bomber in scale with the UCS TIE Fighter to be more like $300. 

All very true.  But my fingers are still crossed for a >$300 UCS Y-Wing next year.  By then, it will have been 14 years since the last one.  Not to mention that they should release one before "Red Five" looks totally obsolete, and they have to release a UCS X-Wing again.  Not sure whether Poe's X-Wing will happen so soon, though.  The system-scale one may be inaccurate, but it's a wonderful set, and it's been on the market for nearly two years now.  Also, it's not listed as Retiring Soon...yet.  I don't think we'll get a Sequel Trilogy UCS for several years still (excepting the Falcon, of course, which is a trans-generational legend).

EDIT: I would be highly disappointed if TLG keeps inundating the market with more and more expensive sets.  They would be wise to keep a little breathing room, rather than releasing, say, an ISD, AT-AT, and Cloud City as the next three sets.  That would just be overwhelming, and it would make each set (not to mention the Falcon) feel less special.  I agree with jdubbs that a small(er) set for next May the Fourth is the way to go.

Edited by RogueTwo

I have the original Y-Wing and it was super-annoying to display... the nacelles kept falling off. But it was also surprisingly true to the original prop, so I'm not sure there's a lot they can do to improve it.... versus the Rebel Blockade Runner or Star Destroyer which to me at least look more dated.

Another playset is also a possibility, perhaps an Endor bunker assault or a hybrid playset like Jabba's Sail Barge. Especially if the Assault on Hoth playset retires in the next six months, which seems likely given it was discounted for the Force Friday sale. 

But my money is on the A-Wing. It can be done to scale with other starfighters for ~$150, it hasn't been done before (addressing complaints that so many recent UCS sets have been rehashes of previous sets), it's the last of the classic trilogy starfighters to receive the UCS treatment, AND it appears in Episode VIII. 

I certainly hope it's something at minifigure scale. I'm not really a fan of UCS sets that are much bigger than fig scale. TIE-Fighter and Snowspeeder were uninteresting to me, but sets like the Slave I, Imperial Shuttle and Millenium Falcon are great.

I might welcome a new ISD, if it's done properly and with plenty of detail. As for playsets, well, there's always the Cloud City dream...

12 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Bear in mind that the Falcon was not the next UCS set after the Death Star Redux. The Snowspeeder was. So if you choose to believe this silhouette is a tease for a new UCS Star Destroyer, it could just as easily (and more likely) be coming a year from now rather than in the winter/spring. My guess is that the next UCS set will be on the smaller size ($200 or less) to offset the extreme price of the Falcon.

Good point about not having another big set to rain on the Falcons parade. If the silhouette is anything to go by, the ISD could quite possibly be one of the two UCS sets for 2018, but perhaps not the next one, you're right.

10 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

All very true.  But my fingers are still crossed for a >$300 UCS Y-Wing next year.

EDIT: I would be highly disappointed if TLG keeps inundating the market with more and more expensive sets.  They would be wise to keep a little breathing room, rather than releasing, say, an ISD, AT-AT, and Cloud City as the next three sets.  That would just be overwhelming, and it would make each set (not to mention the Falcon) feel less special.  I agree with jdubbs that a small(er) set for next May the Fourth is the way to go.

I'd love a new Y-Wing too. I've been holding off Bricklinking one for a while now in the hope that it reappears soon.

Edited by bataleon

1 hour ago, bataleon said:

I'd love a new Y-Wing too. I've been holding off Bricklinking one for a while now in the hope that it reappears soon.

Amen!

2 hours ago, Nat said:

I want a new Tantive IV.

+1 to this.  I would love to see an updated one, I think the old one is the most dated looking UCS along with the old snowspeeder.  

I think the UCS ISD will be next autumn... we'll get something else in May I think.

Edited by Alexastor

As a huge OT fanatic, i love all your comments! Seems the OT vehicles still get the most love. Keep it up!

^^^ OT is all that matters in StarWars! All the other movies are a joke IMHO and I don't even classify them as star wars. But hey, I am an old guy ! :laugh:

Edited by LOBOT-OMY
(Rogue 1 was great tho!)

On 06/09/2017 at 1:12 AM, jdubbs said:

I think this is right-think!

Agreed that the silhouette of the IDS is no accident - it's about time too. Hopefully it will be a 10,000 piece set this time.

rsz_isd.jpg.de0fb661f6d4f99eb94b7952bad6fe32.jpg

As for the next UCS, i think it might be the TIE bomber again - that would be awesome. It featured very prominently in the video detailing the MF - could be coincidence but... they really put it there in the shot!

Perfect size too for another not too expensive set.

rsz_tie.jpg.b19679169ba0d78b7b03b215902943d4.jpg

That is Vader's TIE... but keep in mind that the Slave I, Krennic's Shuttle, Republic Fighter Tank and Resistance Troop Transporter, which are present on the shelf too, are all sets designed by Hans Schlömer, designer of the Falcon.

Personally I wouldn't be disappointed if the TIE Advanced is the next UCS, if it's designed the same way as 2015's TIE Fighter I'll be extremely happy. Like others I would love a new Y-Wing. Since the Snowspeeder re-release, and now the Falcon, I've been holding out for a new Y-Wing as I love the ship but can't justify spending that much on the old one. 

As for the Star Destroyer on the box of the falcon, I've always thought that the silhouette on the death star box was just a happy coincidence so I wouldn't be looking into an ISD too much until someone comes out and says it's happening. 

Edited by Brikkyy13