I've designed and build this LEGO Great Ball Contraption for Lego World 2017 in Utrecht in The Netherlands. Last year almost over 100.000 Lego fans visited Lego World. This GBC will be part of a circle of over 150 machines. The kids control the Ball Catcher Mouse with LEGO power functions and are thus responsible to keep all balls circulating as part of the 150+ machines. I hope that is exciting enough for them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZZsKZlan4

36808538462_99fe97d6bd_c.jpg

36792230986_397895144c_c.jpg

36808584932_05f78c006e_c.jpg

As a kid, I would not have let go of the controler. I have to keep the balls moving for the system to work and it is my mission to do so.... 

Even now as an adult, that is a really nice GBC, not only is it functional but playable. GBCs are cool, but most of the time they lack the playability factor. 

Well done!

What you have built is a modern version of the Balldozer field (I can't remember the name of who built it), and I still like it, so good work!

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

What you have built is a modern version of the Balldozer field (I can't remember the name of who built it)

I don't know that one and Google doesn't know it either, only a gun comes up :) 
Would like to see it if anyone has a link.

I have seen something like this in a GBC video as part of a huge amount of modules. I think it could be the balldozer @mocbuild101 mentioned.

But still this is really nice... and clever you can also guide the balls arround the field, if the kids are'nt good enough in moving the balls :D

5 hours ago, Berthil said:

I don't know that one and Google doesn't know it either, only a gun comes up :) 

@mocbuild101 is probably referring to the Bill Bourn Memorial Balldozer, a staple of the North American GBC circuit. You can see it in the latest video from Brickworld Chicago

Just now, TechnicRCRacer said:

Best GBC I have ever seen! I think there should be multiple vehicles for more kids to use at once and to move more balls to the end at a time. 

Thanks! Good idea, I have a second vehicle to put to work but that one is much faster and probably too hard to handle for the kids at LEGO world. So I made the mouse.

36582976850_6b21f525ba_c.jpg

Also, I have to keep this running for a week during LEGO World and need 3 Li batteries per mouse and the batteries are costly :)

10 hours ago, Berthil said:

Well I can see that @Captainowie has already beaten me to it, but I do want to say that any video of the Brickworld Chicago GBC layout will have the Balldozer field in it - both the old and new versions.

And just as a suggestion, you probably should have a look at all of BTB's GBC videos - they will give you a lot of ideas! 

I liked the idea, i just think you can make the part wich you select where the ball goes ( on field or straight thru machine) automatizated so some ball always goes and some are to play with them.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:19 PM, powder12321 said:

I liked the idea, i just think you can make the part wich you select where the ball goes ( on field or straight thru machine) automatizated so some ball always goes and some are to play with them.

What would that give you? Yes, it means that you are sure to have some balls passing through to the next module, but then 1) you have fewer balls to play with when there is someone to play, and 2) you have a large ball-sink when there is nobody to play.

Much better to be able to choose whether to bypass the ball field.

12 minutes ago, Captainowie said:

Agree, how does the automized part know when I have to go to the toilet? :)

Edited by Berthil

On 6.09.2017 at 0:00 AM, Captainowie said:

What would that give you? Yes, it means that you are sure to have some balls passing through to the next module, but then 1) you have fewer balls to play with when there is someone to play, and 2) you have a large ball-sink when there is nobody to play.

I also agree.

3 hours ago, 9v system said:

are you in Victoria?

Bah, Sydney, I'm guessing you're in Victoria :)

I know Still Thinking in real like but that's about it.

11 hours ago, MattL600 said:

Bah, Sydney, I'm guessing you're in Victoria :)

I know Still Thinking in real like but that's about it.

you should come down to brickvention

2 hours ago, 9v system said:

you should come down to brickvention

At Victoria?

I probably won't be able to get there just for the convention

5 hours ago, 9v system said:

@Berthil do you have more pictures of the input? looking for good ideas for a stream splitter module

I will take some pictures soon, I'm almost done with adding an interior to the Green Grocer so I will set up my studio soon. Basicly it is the input for the Invisible Lift but I have mirrored and changed it putting the motor on the other side (under the inbox) to keep the switch as flat against the platform as possible. I was thinking about making it remote controlled with PF functions but that is something for after Lego World.

Edited by Berthil

On 12-9-2017 at 12:11 PM, 9v system said:

@Berthil do you have more pictures of the input? looking for good ideas for a stream splitter module

Here some pictures of the splitter itself. It already runs fast enough on three (hence 3 on switch) so if it needs to run on maximum another 50% downgearing is needed.

37151578182_d6a1115076_c.jpg

37134035126_dd46934dbe_c.jpg

36510993043_176c5e9e8f_c.jpg

37324485335_fd47a30b25_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil

8 hours ago, Berthil said:

Here some pictures of the splitter itself. It already runs fast enough on three (hence 3 on switch) so if it needs to run on maximum another 50% downgearing is needed.

ok thanks this will help with mine