suenkachun

I’m running out of ideas...

I have been stuck with the following LEGO building techniques for quite a while. Recently, I was asked to replicate a real restaurant together with parts of the actual street outside in LEGO Bricks, first in LDD then possibly in reality as well. As I tend to pay much attention to detail and therefore try and replicate everything accurately, I always try to find unique solutions in LEGO and LDD for some of the items. However, I have finally run out of ideas lately and would really appreciate some help here. Therefore, please refer to the individual links to the images with their descriptions and help me come up with LEGO versions of these items. All ideas are welcome as I’d love the input of every talented LEGO Designer. Thank you for everyone’s help and feedback in advance!

The first item on my list is a Slanting Railing found in the restaurant’s toilet to better assist people in need. Building a horizontal or vertical railing in LEGO is easy but I couldn’t find a way to rotate one at an angle and successfully attach it to the row of Bricks below or above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bczg44w4dxsk2p8/Slanting Railing.jpg.

The second item on my list is a series of folding doors. To compliment the restaurant I am working on a very realistic LEGO version of a Hong Kong Tram. It features four pairs of folding doors on the two ends of the Tram on either side.

Here is one of the pairs of folding doors near the front of the Tram: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r5qpo8gf63j2pg/Tram Door Closed.jpg. Fun fact: the commercials on this particular Tram were of Hong Kong’s second LEGO Certified Store which opened this July!

When the above Tram door opens it looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmrx6yjsojdw215/Tram Door Open.jpg. To create enough space for the door to fold inwards a slanting step was added behind the door like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/amc0tbvl7mjp6to/Tram Door Slanting Step.jpg.

From the above two pictures, we can see that the door is attached to the Tram in the front which moves forward and folds to open. There is a thin pole attached to both a guide rail near the ceiling of the Tram’s lower floor and the Tram door itself (in-between the longer panel) which helps the door to move.

To better demonstrate the size of the LEGO version of the above door I have taken a screenshot of the front part of my LEGO Tram which shows the gap containing the door: https://www.dropbox.com/s/amc0tbvl7mjp6to/Tram Door Slanting Step.jpg. The height of the gap is 8 Bricks and 2 Plates or 2/3 Brick tall, and my ultimate goal is to have fully-functional pairs of folding doors on my LEGO Tram. The current folding doors which I have built are not attached to the Tram itself but only placed there and you have to move them manually. As I have built the door panels with Plates the thin pole is currently attached to them with the help of the Mini Fig. Back Plate W. Knob (Part 42446), meaning that it’s sticking out from the Tram slightly. If possible, I wish to develop a version with nothing sticking out at all.

That’s all I have for now. As I mentioned before, all ideas are welcome as I’d love the input of every talented LEGO Designer. Once again, thank you for everyone’s help and feedback in advance!

I’m not a “talented LEGO Designer” but I’ll try anyway :wink:

Railing: You didn’t specify what scale. Must you attach both ends? I’d use a phone (6190).

Door: Garage doors? (4218) They can’t fold all the way though….

59 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

I’m not a “talented LEGO Designer” but I’ll try anyway :wink:

Railing: You didn’t specify what scale. Must you attach both ends? I’d use a phone (6190).

Door: Garage doors? (4218) They can’t fold all the way though….

Thanks for the input. Let me clarify further what I am needing.

For the railing, this screenshot can clearly show its requirements. It should be able to be attached to the two Knobs on the wall which have a height difference (the distance between the knobs can always be altered according to the Bricks being used on top), using the Phone (great idea BTW) or other similar Bricks. The issue which I have encountered is that I failed to rotate the Phone or other Bricks at a correct angle (after attaching it to one of the Knobs) so that it successfully attaches to the other Knob at a suitable distance.

For the Tram Door, I am aware of the Lamella For Rolling Gate and someone already suggested to me that I use this Brick. However, the real Tram Door does not occupy the entire door space where the top half is hollow with only the thin pole sticking upwards. As a result, my ideal solution will be a door with a panel up till the lower edges of the windows then a stick until the ceiling, and the door panel will be somehow connected to the Tram itself on one side. If this is eventually deemed impossible I will reconsider using the Lamella For Rolling Gate.

Frankly, for the railing, I’d attach it only with 1 stud. I can see no real reasons to want to attach it at both ends. And if the phone is too short, you may try bar with clip (48729) with a bar (but the clips are a bit big/ugly), or 2 antennas (73587).