MovieMocs

New BB8 Star Wars Lego Set

Hey guys I was wondering...is this a UCS set? It has a UCS plaque but there is no UCS symbol on the box. It has 1106 parts which is low for UCS but not the lowest ever. So is it, or is it not a UCS set?

bb8.png597aa79066124_ScreenShot2017-07-27at9_53

Oh boy... this is going to be a controversial topic. 

For me, a UCS set is one which carries a nameplate, or is of a sufficient size and detail that I consider it worthy of the title.  

Some sets like 7191 X-Wing or 10179 Millennium Falcon are obvious.  From sheer size, detail, complexity they deserve the name.  Others like the often ignored Darth Maul and Yoda statues have no nameplate but are still epic builds and not your usual; Lego playset.    The grey area comes with sets like Insult Attack on Hoth, or the Ewok Village, or even the 75159 Death Star.  These are large, intricate builds but still playsets, so I consider them large, but not ultimate.  The real hazy area is with the likes of the Jawa sand crawler, because it's both an ultimate collector set and a playset just because it worked at mining scale.  

So is BB-8 a UCS set? It ticks all the right boxes for me - does it for you?

As an owner of the set, I would say yes. It's size is quite impressive (though not THAT big), it's very detailed, has the the plaque, and is to scale with the UCS R2-D2 released in 2012. Just cause the box doesn't have the stamp, doesn't mean I won't consider it a UCS

I guess it's definately more of a display collectable than a normal lego construction set/toy, and it comes with the plaque and display stand so I reckon it's defo UCS.  Strangely though, I have the lego sandcrawler still boxed somewhere in the house and that was certainly known as UCS, yet it has no plaque. Go figure !  :sweet:

I don't really care what Lego calls it, if it's a large set then I consider it UCS whether it's this BB8, or Assault on Hoth or Sandcrawler. I don't really care if it has a plaque or not.