Milan

Scale Modelling Forum needs your input!

Scale models are not just vehicles. Architecture is also scale models, so they should be here as well. (Maybe in a subforum).

Well, probably time i tune in...

I build 1/43 scale models only- which is small.

Per Definition a scale model only needs to be an "actual" thing mathmatically scaled down in size.

However, i think the follwing rules are needed to actually keep this forum "scaled only"

1) It must be based on our "modern day" world of existing things
that excludes the UCS millenium falcon since its really a great scale model, yet sci fi.
Houses are, like @Erik Leppen suggested modern day, so they should have a home in this forum. An own "scale architecture" subforum sounds a nice idea.

2) Whatever scale, it must be close to the blueprints in shape and proportions
that excludes the 6 wide Porsche really, cause if you imagine this car in real life size you'd certainly have a hot wheels car apperance given its way too large tires.
So wheel size, length, wheelbase, height etc must all be above 95% true to the original
Despite it looking a lot like a Porsche, its a typical town car designed with classic town elements (windshield, mudguard bricks) in order to fit a minifigure.
Perhaps that leads to point 3

3) The techniques used must be advanced and creative. Especially in small scales so it can meet the criteria of point 2). Larger scales can mainly do without given the space for structure!
that excludes every Speed Champion series and City scale car in points 2) and 3), since 50% of these builds are based on large moulds forming the car and dont
follow the real blueprints in proportion. They are also very sticker heavy so that without them it would be hard to really tell which car it is.

I think this should settle the matter with the smaller scales in general..

BTW Functions dont make a scale model, if included - very nice! - yet, scale is about shape and proportion, trying to make it "look" as much as the original as possible.
Every Car designers in companies do non functional scale models first.

Also on a personal note i was really looking forward to this forum for quite some time. As mentioned, i use a small scale which works without any minifig relevance or town association.
When building, i make no use of any of the typical town elements. I build my own windscreens, my own mudguards and next to a blueprint im not far off. So im following those 3 rules myself
But judge for yourselves perhaps. I'd be interested to know what the community here thinks about it!
35894612410_8f1586f3a7_n.jpgambulance US by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

Edited by Ron Dayes

The origin of this forum is our Scale Modelers Association talk with Jim. Its intend was vehicle, planes, ships (common scale model topics) in high detail and prime execution. This is the niche which has become quite popular and inspirational over the years. I am convinced that when this forum becomes a dump of everything called a moc to scale of any type of topic the true scale builders will be gone quickly.

On 1-9-2017 at 4:35 PM, BusterHaus said:

Maybe the key word should be Model.  It's supposed to replicate something that exists, I don't think the scale or the amount of functions is relevant.

I agree with Busterhaus.

On 3-9-2017 at 10:08 AM, Erik Leppen said:

Scale models are not just vehicles. Architecture is also scale models, so they should be here as well. (Maybe in a subforum).

This. (except the subforum)

---

I also agree with @Ron Dayes....the model should be (near) perfect scalewise. If the smaller Porsches are not in scale, then they don't belong here. So Scale is the operative word as far as I'm concerned.

Therefor every builder should mention the scale the model is built in. This was one of the first requirements if I am not mistaken.

---

TL;DR ... what @Ron Dayes said :wink:

I also agree with @Ron Dayes. This should be for any scale model of any real world object. I agree with the 95% threshold maybe even 90% because we are working with such a defined, integer medium. You cant realistically get smaller than 1/2 plate in detail. 

For me, a scale model is to scale. That means the windscreen, wheels etc. should be in the right dimensions. The porsche shown in the first post is recognisable but the wheels are to big. So for me it would belong to the town forum, also since it is "minifig scale".

I often build 8 wide vehicles, e.g. trains and buses/trucks. I chose the scale not with the wheels but with the width of the model. As a consequence, the wheels don't match the scale that well, especially with trains, where there is about one useful size of wheels for modern locomotives and cars. These models belong to the Train Tech forum or the the Town forum for me.

Functions are nice to have but not necessary. However a technic model should be with functions where possible.

One last point is for me that a scale model cannot be placed together with minifigs. So a train or a car that you use on a city display shouldn't be in this forum. (well, I would be honoured the be called a scale modeler with my 8wide models, but I don't consider myself one).

I think we can say that we can not build in every scale. This because there are just no wheels for every scale.. but some builds are so good, that to me it is a minor issue. The bigger the model, the more detail you can put in to it. I like the fact that there are a lot of builders out there that use skills to create difficult builds. Everybody has his own opinion, that makes them unique as human and builders. 

Hey guys!

Thank you all for your input regarding this discussion. 

We have concluded that there will be minimum scale as one of the requirements for a model to be in this forum.

Minimum scale will be around 1:20 (approximately Miniland Scale).

Ships, planes, and buildings does not have minimum scale requirement, but still have to follow Scale Model Guidelines:

• Representing a real world counterpart
  • Built in scale
  • Built as advanced Model Team, mainly with bricks, plates and tiles, with high level of details and prime execution. 

PS. This topic was used to collect input from our members and will be locked, and this conclusion will be moved to Scale Modeling General Discussion. Feel free to continue discussion there.