Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

2 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

The Lego market was a totally different animal back then.  Lego's popularity is through the roof and only sets that are unpopular ever get discounted in the US anymore.  Also your 2010 example is three years after it went on sale.  Not exactly relevant. 

Personally I would still wait on this set, in 2010 we didn't have good bootlegs either. Their popularity sadly has also soared in the secondary market.
But getting double/triple VIP points for an 800$ set is a no brainer.
Again it depends on you buying capacity and how much you need the set, if you need it right away. I can see this being around for atleast 5 years, definitely through the release of all upcoming starwars films featuring the falcon.
So no rush for me.

After screwing around with the US website for 30 or so minutes this morning, my order went through. Got my confirmation email and my card was charged.

4 hours later, I get an email saying the order is cancelled because they couldn't verify payment. The same thing happened with the Snowspeeder order in May. But I had zero issues with the same payment multiple times over the last several years, including three weeks ago when I ordered Ninjago City.

Now I am 30 minutes into hold on their phone waiting to straighten this out. This is ridiculous.

To be fair that sounds like a bank issue. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to verify the payment unless the bank did something weird. I've had a few issues when a bank was being a bit over protective of my accounts. I'd try calling the bank too maybe.

It would be nice to hear from Hans (designer of this set since he visits our boards) if Lego plans to make enough sets for years to come...

My wife gave me the "evil eye" yesterday while at the Lego store when I saw this set, lol. I'll get the set someday but might take me a couple of years hence my question.

If it sells continously well, why shouldn't they keep making it? Just look at the VW T1, the Tower Bridge and other sets, which are or have been available for years. 

LEGO site has been screwed up all morning because of this.  Spoke with the sales associates while at a store this morning.  Apparently, they didn't expect this to sell so well...?  Seems to be their go to answer all the time!  Those of you online fighting with the site, good luck to you!

AND BY THE WAY....

If you are ticked off and disappointed with how this was handled on LEGO's end, and it sounds like a few of you might be, then call LEGO Customer Service and file a complaint about their site and service.  Don't just bitch and moan here about it!  Eurobricks can do absolutely nothing to help you.  The store surveys on the receipts? Those go to the stores, corporate never sees them unless they go looking.

If you put in a complaint with a customer service operator, then an email chain begins and it actually makes a difference!

7 hours ago, jabz10 said:

Pretty disappointed I woke up early on the 13th 4.30AM for the Apple announcement, went to work, and then stayed up late till midnight waiting for the MF pre-order access which didn't eventuate, I gave up at 2AM, then I woke up early at 6AM incase they released them in the morning on the 14th, and nothing kept refreshing till 8.20AM gave up as I had to go to work.  Imagine my disappointment when I logged in at 8pm and found its all gone, temporarily out of stock!..

I missed out, I find it annoying that they didn't explain anywhere the exact date/time the pre-order will go up here in NZ.  There's no Lego stores here, and the other toy stores don't get it in retail till 2018.  So my only option is Lego online shop.

I was lucky. It was early evening here and the site was one of many I had open, and I was periodically refreshing it, and wham it came up showing "add to cart" and my whole checkout process worked perfectly. Woke up this morning to finally get the very slow Lego confirmation email.

And.. Toyworld is my goto place usually. The staff that remember you even know to adult UCS builders that little details like mint boxes are important. Mighty Ape are also good because of their specials and they pack well..

Don't think I'll be queuing up for the new iPhones, but the X is a nice looking phone, albeit an expensive unit.. :laugh:

7 am west coast, went online couldn't get past the item being in "My bag". Kept getting an error to call customer service and tell them the some code word "Generic" whatever the hell that means. Decided to go line up and 1 of the 2 lego stores in the Vancouver area. (2 stores for around 2 million people) Get ehere 2 hours early 30 people in front of me and a sign on the door 19 units available. 19 damn units for a area covering 2 million people. Leave there and cant get to the only other store before it open. Sold out as well. People lined up since 6:30am for 20 units. Great VIP service! 39 sets for 2 million people. Online doesn't work and going to a store doesn't work. What idiots are running lego? How about a few hundred are shipped to western Canada not 39! Call customer service told it was sold out in 10 secs and then the system crashed. How about you stock enough you don't run out online in 10 seconds in North America if you can;t supply your damn stores. No excuse for a business around this long and this big. Bush league!

Well, Kim Thomsen from LEGO confirmed on LEGO Ambassador Network that this set will be "around for at least two years, like all other LEGO sets", so there is no need to worry.

14 minutes ago, ds760 said:

7 am west coast, went online couldn't get past the item being in "My bag". Kept getting an error to call customer service and tell them the some code word "Generic" whatever the hell that means. Decided to go line up and 1 of the 2 lego stores in the Vancouver area. (2 stores for around 2 million people) Get ehere 2 hours early 30 people in front of me and a sign on the door 19 units available. 19 damn units for a area covering 2 million people. Leave there and cant get to the only other store before it open. Sold out as well. People lined up since 6:30am for 20 units. Great VIP service! 39 sets for 2 million people. Online doesn't work and going to a store doesn't work. What idiots are running lego? How about a few hundred are shipped to western Canada not 39! Call customer service told it was sold out in 10 secs and then the system crashed. How about you stock enough you don't run out online in 10 seconds in North America if you can;t supply your damn stores. No excuse for a business around this long and this big. Bush league!

All of that and yet you will still buy 1 the second they are available.   So really it all means nothing.

It's an 800 freaking dollar Lego set.....it would be stupid of them to just assume it is going to be hugely, massively popular and over produce.  And that's not even getting into the intentional business strategy of controlling inventory to artificially increase demand.   You know anything about Nintendo?  They're the masters of that and have been doing it for many, many years. 

Again, it's an 800 freaking dollar Lego set.   Calm down.  It's not like they are only making 1000 of them and after that NO ONE will be able to buy them.   So you weren't able to spend $800 on a Lego set the first day it was available. I'd say in the big scheme of things this is not a big deal.  You'll be fine.

Yes, I'm not impressed at all :angry:

I had to work today, and by the time I'd tried to order it they weren't even accepting backorders.  I called CS and they were a total waste of time; they couldn't give any idea of timescales etc, or any explanation of why the UK website allowed multiple purchases (3) if there was any issues with the volumes available..... I've emailed them and just waiting for a standard 'vanilla' reply. 

Why the hell didn't they allow pre-orders over the last couple of weeks, at least that would have given them an indication of the demand for the set; the manager I spoke to kept saying that they'd 'learn' lessons from this!!!  I don't know who they're employing to manage such things, but surely the traffic they had on facebook was enough of a sign... they massively over-hyped this set and I hope that they fix this fast.

Sorry I should have clarified. This lego isn't for me it's for my 2 kids. My time is far more valuable then wasting it trying to buy lego for my kids. Lego is a big company. If they plan to sell this lego set for 2 years or whatever then make a lot of it at the front end to full fill iniital demand for the 1st year minimum then adjust your production accordingly. All it takes is some sense from a company thats been doing this for decades. Theres no excuse period. It's simple incompetence and disrespectful to customers wasting their time and effort. Not all about the adult collectors in life. Let's remember its a kids toy that adults play with. Rather see a disappointed adults face then kid. 

41 minutes ago, ds760 said:

From what I was told at the store 3 stores in Washington DC got a total of 17 sets split 11, 3, 3. I live near the one with the most. People starting lining up at 4 and mall security apparently kicked them out so the Lego store employees "had to do something". The gave out tickets to the first 11 people in line. That's not really what gets me though. While I did expect a line I didn't expect them to sell the sets at 6 or 7 am, because they "had to do something". 

Just now, StarfuryT said:

From what I was told at the store 3 stores in Washington DC got a total of 17 sets split 11, 3, 3. I live near the one with the most. People starting lining up at 4 and mall security apparently kicked them out so the Lego store employees "had to do something". The gave out tickets to the first 11 people in line. That's not really what gets me though. While I did expect a line I didn't expect them to sell the sets at 6 or 7 am, because they "had to do something". 

17 sets for washington dc! Yeah sure it's stupid to think more then 17 people might want it in a city the size of Washington! How could that be possible right? Send out 1700 sets and let them sit for a year if thats what it takes. Gross mismanagement on legos part every step of the way. No limit to 1 in Europe either doesn't help distribute your product globally in an appropriate manner. 

I was told last week that the Liverpool store was going to get 8 in today and another 8 in next week. Whether that happens now with the way the stock levels seem to be worldwide I'm not sure. Getting confirmation that it's going to be around for a couple of years is good though. Hopefully they get the stock levels back up and people will start to see them available regularly in store and online... that should kerb the scalpers enthusiasm a little.

I've just checked my order status for S@H and it's marked as completed. There's a tracking number assigned to the courier so it looks like they've started to ship the items ordered this morning out from the warehouse.

2 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Any confirmation on how long the special VIP cards will be available? I've seen no solid confirmation on that.

I've see two things in writing so far.  Not sure if I can find them now.  One said the VIP cards were limited to the first 20,000.  The other said that anyone who purchased the set this year would get one... so up to Dec. 31.  After missing out on-line I did call the nearest lego store to see if they had any or when they might be getting in new stock and I asked them about the VIP cards as well.  He too told me that anyone who purchased the kit this year would get one.  So I'm tempted to dismiss the 20,000 figure but I'm not certain. It could be which ever of these two events happen first.

4 hours ago, NikhilR said:

But getting double/triple VIP points for an 800$ set is a no brainer.
So no rush for me.

If you think it was hard getting one in the last 24hrs good luck getting during a double/triple VIP point period. Lego are notorious for in-demand sets being out of stock during these periods. I would certainly be very surprised if it became readily available during the Oct. bonus VIP point period so I wouldn't call it a "no-brainer". 

Yes mine was sent out also. Hopefully will arrive tomorrow

Just now, wwwmwww said:

I've see two things in writing so far.  Not sure if I can find them now.  One said the VIP cards were limited to the first 20,000.  The other said that anyone who purchased the set this year would get one... so up to Dec. 31.  After missing out on-line I did call the nearest lego store to see if they had any or when they might be getting in new stock and I asked them about the VIP cards as well.  He too told me that anyone who purchased the kit this year would get one.  So I'm tempted to dismiss the 20,000 figure but I'm not certain. It could be which ever of these two events happen first.

Still it is limited to the amount of sets Lego produces and offers before the end of the year

Hi.  This is my first post, but I have been reading the various comments here and in the 2017 thread.  I've been waiting for a long time to have an opportunity to get a UCS falcon.  I figured I would make an adventure out of it and go early and line up with all the hype.  Thought it would be fun and get to meet some other AFOL.  For the most part it was talking, but then people got nasty when it was learned there were only a handful of sets.  Let's just say security had to be called, which was super awkward and really not in the spirit I was expecting.  And some how racism got called into the mix.  Not as much fun as I thougt it would be and I just kept to myself.  Worst case I would get it later. But I felt the Lego manager really handed the situation to the best of their abilities.  They had their marching orders and were consistent.  I called them afterwards to tell them that because some customers were just down right nasty to them. Must have totally ruined their day and not their fault their stock wasn't sufficient.

In terms of line I was the first person not to be guaranteed a set (#14 of 13 available sets) so that kind of sucked but for me it was still a cool experience aside from the drama.  In the end I stuck around and it paid off.  A customer ahead of me could not complete payment and I ended up snagging the last one (without wheels). So in the end it worked out but I think next time I'll just wait a few months and then order online. It definitely wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

Edited by ic3cold
Added a small edition

It's certainly not the fault of some teenager working in a lego store for minimum wage. Shocking to see people directing their anger at them like they have something to do with how many sets are given to them. Corporate lego staff better learn from this nonsense and make sure it doesn't get repeated in 2 weeks on October 1st. 

7 minutes ago, ds760 said:

It's certainly not the fault of some teenager working in a lego store for minimum wage. Shocking to see people directing their anger at them like they have something to do with how many sets are given to them. Corporate lego staff better learn from this nonsense and make sure it doesn't get repeated in 2 weeks on October 1st. 

Yah totally.  I keep thinking what is going to happen on Oct 1.  I figure they would have stock coming out of their eyeballs in prep for the main release.  Now it seems there will be minimal stock for the next little while.

Ugh. Looking on craigslist and I see one up for sale for $1200 locally! Person actually says they got 2 this morning and I'm fairly sure the Lego Store near me is the only one in the area. They must have had a friend sit there since I'm sure the store would not sell 2 to one person! That is a straight ahole move right there. :(

I hope they read this and know how crappy that was!

Edited by karmajay