Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

Managed to pick one up at Brighton, people had been queuing since 1am. The set was sold out before the store opened and one guy got very angry at missing it and was practically abusing the employees.

i must commend lego, their service was amazing. They gave us tickets so no one could push in before us, we all got a goodie bag with both Force Friday polybags, some stickers and leaflets, and they even gave bags to people who missed out PLUS a letter to get priority over new stock, not sure how that works though.

so now I'm heading home with both The Falcon and Slave 1 to build, what a crazy day!

Have to say I am kinda suprised how fast it became Sold Out in the Lego Shop.

Didnt expect that much demand/that low supply...

This is kinda fun reading today. I haven't managed to get one yet either, but I WILL get one. 

I guess to be fair, I certainly would be narked to arrive in Brighton and to leave disappointed BUT, the fact is - I will get one. And just a year ago-ish, I never thought I would ever get the UCS Falcon at all. It does look stunning. ?

I live in the States but am currently in London.  Woke up at 5:00am local time to try and order and it wasn't available.  Its now 12:45 and its still not available.  I have never been this willing to give some $800 and them not want to take it!

56 minutes ago, jabz10 said:

Pretty disappointed I woke up early on the 13th 4.30AM for the Apple announcement, went to work, and then stayed up late till midnight waiting for the MF pre-order access which didn't eventuate, I gave up at 2AM, then I woke up early at 6AM incase they released them in the morning on the 14th, and nothing kept refreshing till 8.20AM gave up as I had to go to work.  Imagine my disappointment when I logged in at 8pm and found its all gone, temporarily out of stock!..

I missed out, I find it annoying that they didn't explain anywhere the exact date/time the pre-order will go up here in NZ.  There's no Lego stores here, and the other toy stores don't get it in retail till 2018.  So my only option is Lego online shop.

I feel your pain but it will be a temporary delay. The only thing that tipped me off to the local sale time was another Eurobricks user who contacted customer service...I owe him a beer. Even then it went live ~ 20 min early and was gone within 10 minutes! 

Extremely angry. Item went live, went un-live, went into shopping bag, wouldn't let me check out. Now it won't even let me stay signed in as VIP. You hype this thing, make sure your site can handle it!

You'd think they could afford real web developers.  That entire site needs to be torn down to the ground and redeveloped from the ground up.

Wow, and their customer service number is busy. A major company rolling out a product shouldn't be failing at it this badly. Not when we're ridiculously ready to give them so much money.

And now they've shut down the entire VIP login:

"Our LEGO ID® service is currently unavailable. Please check again later."

13 minutes ago, Markalus said:

I feel your pain but it will be a temporary delay. The only thing that tipped me off to the local sale time was another Eurobricks user who contacted customer service...I owe him a beer. Even then it went live ~ 20 min early and was gone within 10 minutes! 

I knew about the time being 8:30 local for me, so I kept refreshing from 8am onwards and was able to order at around 8:12... 

The window for buying this thing "normally" was around 10 - 15 minutes, shortly before 8:30 the page was already overloaded.

I am extremely disappointed, for a company of this magnitude this should never happen.  I get running out of stock, listing something as backordered, allowing customers to place their orders, then fulfilling them once supply catches up.  I would be fine with that, this is unacceptable! 

Won't even let me sign in now. This is just ridiculous. Sigh. What a poorly handled rollout.

Back in, in my bag, won't let me check out. If they wanted this to be so frustrating it made you rethink paying them money, they're succeeding.

Hello! New member but long fan (collector) from lego :sweet:

I was this morning @ 07:00AM at Belgium Legostore (1 of the first) and acquired the Millennium falcon

There are 24 units (although monday,when I asked again,they said they would have 40 units...sadly,the shipments got splitted somehow)

We didn't get any goodiebags though...which I'm kinda sad now...what's more sad is that 2 people are putting their Falcon for sale not even 1 hour after purchase :angry:

The 24 units were all sold out around 08:00AM (by tickets). There was even a couple of lego fans who came all the way from England trying to purchase...but was a hour too late.

Funny how the shop owner didn't open the door untill 10:00AM while there are more then +50 people standing outside. Even the security came asking what's going on with this group of people infront a store :laugh:

Oh well...Can't wait for this weekend to start building my falcon.

This is beginning to look like the oldest marketing trick in the book from TLG - artificial scarcity - limit the availability of an item to build hype and increase demand.

Let's look at the evidence:

1-ENTIRE stock for the VIP sales period runs out in circa 2 hours on the first day of sale 

2-Buy limit set to 3 instead of 1 for what TLG must have known would be an extremely popular set. All this does is feed the scalpers and build more hype when they are inevitably resold at inflated prices (especially in light of exhibit 1)

3-Mark the set as "Sold Out" in many of their online shop fronts to create doubt about whether any more will be made in time for the general release on 1st October

Or am I being too cynical?

1 minute ago, ElectroDiva said:

This is beginning to look like the oldest marketing trick in the book from TLG - artificial scarcity - limit the availability of an item to build hype and increase demand.

1-ENTIRE stock for the VIP sales period runs out in circa 2 hours on the first day of sale 

2-Buy limit set to 3 instead of 1 for what TLG must have known would be an extremely popular set. All this does is feed the scalpers and build more hype when they are inevitably resold at inflated prices (especially in light of exhibit 1)

3-Mark the set as "Sold Out" in many of their online shop fronts to create doubt about whether any more will be made in time for the general release on 1st October

It's certainly a possibility. Of all of it I'm just not sure on the 3 per customer... Nobody needs three of these on day or release... It's one thing to pick one up for a friend... but three? That's just asking for scalping.

Just now, eliminator said:

Live now in US/CAN

It seems even I (in the UK) can add one to my bag but I can't get it to ship. Just to be clear I wasn't looking to order another one but I wanted to check the practicality of the situation for overseas buyers.

Just now, ElectroDiva said:

Was the buy-limit legitimately 3 at the end? I thought that was just a placeholder... if it was and some people actually did order 3 of the falcons and in VIP Early Access Time no less, that would make me think also...

This Hype was more or less obvious, its the first day you can possibly get the biggest Lego Set ever and then its the UCS Falcon now less, the predecessor being the most desired Lego Set ever (judging by scalper prices).

So these immediate turn of events dont really come as a suprise, this is a truly "special/unique" case in my books. But I wouldnt worry too much over the long run, I am sure that everybody who wants this thing will get it eventually, its just a matter of time over the coming months (so the more impatient you are the worse it might be). 

Of course if they manage to have barely any Stock for the Set at its official Release, you could question what the "official release" actually does when there is (almost) nothing to Release.. but then again, like I said before, I see this as a "special" case where normal circumstances and procedures cant be applied.

Just now, BigEl said:

Was the buy-limit legitimately 3 at the end? I thought that was just a placeholder... if it was and some people actually did order 3 of the falcons and in VIP Early Access Time no less, that would make me think also...

This Hype was more or less obvious, its the first day you can possibly get the biggest Lego Set ever and then its the UCS Falcon now less, the predecessor being the most desired Lego Set ever (judging by scalper prices).

So these immediate turn of events dont really come as a suprise, this is a truly "special/unique" case in my books. But I wouldnt worry too much over the long run, I am sure that everybody who wants this thing will get it eventually, its just a matter of time over the coming months (so the more impatient you are the worse it might be). 

Of course if they manage to have barely any Stock for the Set at its official Release, you could question what the "official release" actually does when there is (almost) nothing to Release.. but then again, like I said before, I see this as a "special" case where normal circumstances and procedures cant be applied.

Next week thursday comes another stock (20-40 units) at Belgium lego store

To be fair, and especially after posting in frustration about the difficulties, I should update that I appear to have successfully gotten an order for 1 to go through. We'll see how it goes, but that was way too difficult a process to hand someone so much money.