Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

18 minutes ago, Scoobaru303 said:

The UK site is now saying "Early Access for VIPs starts from 7:30 am on 14th September" when I am logged in.

I will still be trying the website at 1 minute past midnight, just in case.

Well spotted. I think I'll check around midnight same as you but if not I'll be up at 7.00 just to have a try then... if that fails it's daughter at breakfast club at school and then a trip to the Lego store to see if theres a queue. If not I'll hang around for one then.

31 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

If only they'll add something like that to the Aussie site so I can go to bed...

I suspect it will be a similar time in Oz. Its now after 1AM local time and still not live. I'll give it till 2, then off to zzzzzzzzzz

12 minutes ago, Markalus said:

I suspect it will be a similar time in Oz. Its now after 1AM local time and still not live. I'll give it till 2, then off to zzzzzzzzzz

I took a nap when I got home from work so I'm giving it till 3 :tongue:

Annoying, that's just after I'd normally leave for work. So do I hang around at home and hope it actually goes up on time or do I head into work and hope it hasn't gone on to backorder by the time I arrive.

Just now, Tavis75 said:

Annoying, that's just after I'd normally leave for work. So do I hang around at home and hope it actually goes up on time or do I head into work and hope it hasn't gone on to backorder by the time I arrive.

Something tells me traffic is going to be bad for you tomorrow :wink:

Edited by Brikkyy13

23 hours ago, Flandy said:

you can imagine that someone saying they're going to buy 5 might just rub people the wrong way.

Most toys decrease in value for years and decades before rarity and desirability drives their value up. Lego is very much the exception and part of it is down to scalpers. That's why your statement might have annoyed people.

There's no law against buying as many sets as you want, but if you ever buy an old discontinued set at greater than retail value, you have to accept that you are part of the reason why.

Thanks!  The reaction at least makes sense to me now.  I did say it was just something I had considered before Lego reduced the limit to 2.  Even if they hadn't the wife would have likely put on her own limits.  As for my role in why lego appreciates in value, I can certainly accept that.  Honestly I'm not certain I view that as a bad thing.  Or are you saying it is frowned upon to pay more then retail for old discontinued set?  Some of the old sets I'd still like to get I simply didn't have the means to get years ago so as I said before I'm happy to pay a reasonable premium for those that recognized the value of a set and were willing to hold on to a couple to sell at a later date.  My intent certainly wouldn't have been to deprive anyone that wants and can afford one today.  I was just thinking about those that may want one and cannot afford it today, or even those that may not even be aware of this until years later.  Say there is a 14 year old out there that would die to have this but his parents cannot afford it.  In 10 years he could have a nice job and be grateful someone bought a few extras.  Or lets say there is a 20 or 30 year old busy getting his career and/or family off the ground and has sat LEGOs aside to focus on other things.  After his kids are off to college and the pace of his career has slowed he may be wanting to get back into things and be trying to get some of the good sets he missed.  That is pretty much the boat that I am in now honestly. 

6 hours ago, Robianco said:

I just think the timing of your post was off. 

You'll have to hold onto these for quite a while to see worthwhile profit on them unless you're looking to buy up stock and take advantage of the FOMO crowd while availability is low.

That kind of thing has nothing to do with an interest in Lego and everything to do with an interest in making a profit while there is a supply and demand issue. Seriously... How would you feel if you went to order or buy one and every time it was out of stock but you could pick one up for £1300 on eBay or elsewhere. You'd start to get pretty annoyed quite quickly.

Understood.  And I'm of the generation that doesn't even know what FOMO means.  I had to look that one up.  And NO... that isn't the group I would have been targeting.  Part of this is simply due to my ignorance of these concerns.  The only other set I have ever tried to get on the day of released was the Saturn V that just came out.  And that I forgot to check on the morning of its release.  I remembered that evening and when I did go to place my order... they had sold out of the initial batch but were still accepting pre-orders for a batch that would ship by the end of that month.  That was being touted as a very limited and coveted set and it was limited to 2 from the first time I saw it listed.  Still I had no problem getting one.  Sure I placed my order nearly 18 hours after it went live and as a result I had to wait a few extra weeks but that didn't bother me.  This is not being touted as "limited" that I am aware of.  Its very expensive so I'm honestly not expecting as many to be fighting for them as the Saturn V.  And Lego is offering the special VIP card to those who order before December 31.  So I believe Lego intents this to be for sale well into next year at least.  Even the fact that they initially had the limit set at 5 told me they had plans to make alot or that they expected them to be around for a while.  The reduction to 2 I took as an indicator that they may not yet have as many ready as they had hoped for at this point so its their attempt to slow things down initial.  

If you look at the designer video, as been noted earlier in this thread, you can determine that Lego has been sitting on this set since at least January.  Granted I don't know the typical time from the completion of a design to release but in this case I suspect some of that time was simply to build up some volume of this set as they were expecting high demand.  The high price tag also points to that expectation I believe.  So I fully believe it is LEGOs intent to make enough of these that everyone that wants one and can afford one should be able to get one.  Will they all be able to get them tonight/tomorrow... likely not... but it would really surprise me if there were those here trying to get one now and still didn't have one by the end of the year.

Those that are already in "FOMO" mode I think they are a bit premature.  But I fully admit maybe they know something I don't.  And as for being out of stock and going to ebay... yes I agree that would be frustrating.  But I'm also not in FOMO mode yet either.  If this initial batch does sell out before I can get an order in... I have ZERO plans of even considering eBay as an option until next year at the earliest.  If I am wrong... and I do go to eBay next year paying 2X you can make me eat these words.  But if I want this badly enough to pay 2X for it I'll be happy someone has it available to sell.  I *DO* have an interest in LEGO but at the same time I'm not necessarily opposed to making some profit or allowing someone else to make a profit off me.  I have no real desire to help the scalpers but if I am on eBay looking for this next year I think my biggest complaint would be with LEGO themselves.  Surely they would see they are leaving money on the table and that they should have made more.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

What @Robianco said. Well explained :thumbup:

Thanks.  Is that thumbs up icon supposed to look like a minifig hand giving a thumbs up?  I wasn't certain what I was looking at there until I put my cursor over it.  

Carl

Hello all. Apologies if this is covered already; I am in the U.K. And I may be allowed this for Christmas!!!

Is there any good reason to try and get it tomorrow- I would have to make a lot of promises indoors! Are there extra points or anything???

13 minutes ago, wwwmwww said:

Thanks!  The reaction at least makes sense to me now.  I did say it was just something I had considered before Lego reduced the limit to 2.  Even if they hadn't the wife would have likely put on her own limits.  As for my role in why lego appreciates in value, I can certainly accept that.  Honestly I'm not certain I view that as a bad thing.  Or are you saying it is frowned upon to pay more then retail for old discontinued set?  Some of the old sets I'd still like to get I simply didn't have the means to get years ago so as I said before I'm happy to pay a reasonable premium for those that recognized the value of a set and were willing to hold on to a couple to sell at a later date.  My intent certainly wouldn't have been to deprive anyone that wants and can afford one today.  I was just thinking about those that may want one and cannot afford it today, or even those that may not even be aware of this until years later.  Say there is a 14 year old out there that would die to have this but his parents cannot afford it.  In 10 years he could have a nice job and be grateful someone bought a few extras.  Or lets say there is a 20 or 30 year old busy getting his career and/or family off the ground and has sat LEGOs aside to focus on other things.  After his kids are off to college and the pace of his career has slowed he may be wanting to get back into things and be trying to get some of the good sets he missed.  That is pretty much the boat that I am in now honestly. 

Understood.  And I'm of the generation that doesn't even know what FOMO means.  I had to look that one up.  And NO... that isn't the group I would have been targeting.  Part of this is simply due to my ignorance of these concerns.  The only other set I have ever tried to get on the day of released was the Saturn V that just came out.  And that I forgot to check on the morning of its release.  I remembered that evening and when I did go to place my order... they had sold out of the initial batch but were still accepting pre-orders for a batch that would ship by the end of that month.  That was being touted as a very limited and coveted set and it was limited to 2 from the first time I saw it listed.  Still I had no problem getting one.  Sure I placed my order nearly 18 hours after it went live and as a result I had to wait a few extra weeks but that didn't bother me.  This is not being touted as "limited" that I am aware of.  Its very expensive so I'm honestly not expecting as many to be fighting for them as the Saturn V.  And Lego is offering the special VIP card to those who order before December 31.  So I believe Lego intents this to be for sale well into next year at least.  Even the fact that they initially had the limit set at 5 told me they had plans to make alot or that they expected them to be around for a while.  The reduction to 2 I took as an indicator that they may not yet have as many ready as they had hoped for at this point so its their attempt to slow things down initial.  

If you look at the designer video, as been noted earlier in this thread, you can determine that Lego has been sitting on this set since at least January.  Granted I don't know the typical time from the completion of a design to release but in this case I suspect some of that time was simply to build up some volume of this set as they were expecting high demand.  The high price tag also points to that expectation I believe.  So I fully believe it is LEGOs intent to make enough of these that everyone that wants one and can afford one should be able to get one.  Will they all be able to get them tonight/tomorrow... likely not... but it would really surprise me if there were those here trying to get one now and still didn't have one by the end of the year.

Those that are already in "FOMO" mode I think they are a bit premature.  But I fully admit maybe they know something I don't.  And as for being out of stock and going to ebay... yes I agree that would be frustrating.  But I'm also not in FOMO mode yet either.  If this initial batch does sell out before I can get an order in... I have ZERO plans of even considering eBay as an option until next year at the earliest.  If I am wrong... and I do go to eBay next year paying 2X you can make me eat these words.  But if I want this badly enough to pay 2X for it I'll be happy someone has it available to sell.  I *DO* have an interest in LEGO but at the same time I'm not necessarily opposed to making some profit or allowing someone else to make a profit off me.  I have no real desire to help the scalpers but if I am on eBay looking for this next year I think my biggest complaint would be with LEGO themselves.  Surely they would see they are leaving money on the table and that they should have made more.

Thanks.  Is that thumbs up icon supposed to look like a minifig hand giving a thumbs up?  I wasn't certain what I was looking at there until I put my cursor over it.  

Carl

No probs, Carl. And welcome to the forum by the way.

I only know FOMO due to my 8 yr old and that's the first time I've ever used it in public!

I think those that are worried are certainly premature and I just hope there's not too many willing to pay scalper prices on the early batches of releases... I'll certainly be trying to get one but I won't be worrying if it takes a month or so to pick one up.

Seeing as it is the 14th here now, I thought I'd log into Lego to see pre-orders are a little earlier in our part of the world, and the site locked me out at work... c'mon Lego, only two password attempts?

1 hour ago, BJM said:

Hello all. Apologies if this is covered already; I am in the U.K. And I may be allowed this for Christmas!!!

Is there any good reason to try and get it tomorrow- I would have to make a lot of promises indoors! Are there extra points or anything???

Nothing extra apart from a black VIP card which is limited to 20,000 but no idea how long that will take to run out.

6 hours ago, Markalus said:

Well it is 7:30am now and still not showing for me, guess I will have to go to work. Hopefully it doesn't pop up and sell out on my way in.

Aussies, just spoke to the customer service chat. Apparently we get it at 7:30PM BST as well... so 4:30 this afternoon.

Just now, Brikkyy13 said:

Aussies, just spoke to the customer service chat. Apparently we get it at 7:30PM BST as well... so 4:30 this afternoon.

Hopefully I can unlock my account to check by then.. lol

7 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Thanks for the info. Legend 

5 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Thanks Brikkyy13. Good to know. Although I wish they'd communicate that better in the first place...I'm somewhat bleary eyed this morning! 

There's loads on ebay now for £800. I just hope the stocks stay available for a few days so people can buy at the original price and the scalpers don't make any sales ?