Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

21 hours ago, Robianco said:

Maybe... But the scalpers will be laying out £650 per set and it'll be available for a long time. They're going to have to be laying out a huge amount of money with no profit returned for several years at least.

It'll sell out, there have already been reports of low numbers, ebay will be packed with ones "in hand" for £1200.

28 minutes ago, Final Exit said:

It'll sell out, there have already been reports of low numbers, ebay will be packed with ones "in hand" for £1200.

There are already over-priced "pre-orders" on there.

I checked here over the weekend and it told me the limit was 5.  Today when I check the limit has been reduced to 2.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Millennium-Falcon-75192

They haven't even gone on sale yet so I suspect the number of sets they have ready come the 14th isn't quite what they were hoping for.  I was actually contemplating getting 5 and setting 4 aside as an investment.

Carl 

3 minutes ago, wwwmwww said:

I was actually contemplating getting 5 and setting 4 aside as an investment.

That is not something you want to openly communicate on a forum with LEGO fans. Doing this is one thing, but advertising it here on EB is not wise.

1 hour ago, wwwmwww said:

I checked here over the weekend and it told me the limit was 5.  Today when I check the limit has been reduced to 2.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Millennium-Falcon-75192

They haven't even gone on sale yet so I suspect the number of sets they have ready come the 14th isn't quite what they were hoping for.  I was actually contemplating getting 5 and setting 4 aside as an investment.

Carl 

Yeah... With the greatest of respect, I hope Lego make thousands upon thousands of them and they sell on the secondary market for less than their original retail value leaving scalpers and 'investors' like yourself out of pocket.

Just now, Robianco said:

Yeah... With the greatest of respect, I hope Lego make thousands upon thousands of them and they sell on the secondary market for less than their original retail value leaving scalpers and 'investors' like yourself out of pocket.

@wwwmwww this is exactly why posts like yours don't belong here on EB.

Nuff said, lesson learned. Back on topic.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

1 hour ago, Jim said:

@wwwmwww this is exactly why posts like yours don't belong here on EB.

Nuff said, lesson learned. Back on topic.

WOW!!! I'm a life long lego fan.  I've been collecting and playing with legos for 48 years and I was totally unaware of this animosity towards investing.  I hope neither of you have a 401K at work or have ever purchased a lego set after it was out of print for more then retail.  If you have I hope you are able to see the hypocrisy in your statements.  I have certainly purchased many lego sets for far over retail value and I've always been grateful someone had purchased it and been willing to keep it in near mint condition until I had found them.  For the record, I had no plans of scalping them.  They would have likely sat in their boxes untouched for 10 years and if the fair market value for them in that time wasn't 5X what it is today can you honestly say you wouldn't want to be in my position?  And even if Robianco got his wish... it would still be a win-win for me as I'd likely just give them as gifts to my grandkids and been a hero in their eyes.  How can you possibility say that isn't a smart investment? 

Still I'm new to these forums and if this is the way new members are welcomed for simply being honest I'm happy to go elsewhere.  And all this over a hypothetical as I had already mentioned Lego reduced their limit so I cannot buy 5 even if I wanted to.

Carl

Lego is undoubtedly a good investment, but when there is a likely shortage of a new and very much anticipated set, with the high probability that many will go without as Lego try to keep up with demand, you can imagine that someone saying they're going to buy 5 might just rub people the wrong way.

One persons good investment is anothers over priced discontinued set. Most toys decrease in value for years and decades before rarity and desirability drives their value up. Lego is very much the exception and part of it is down to scalpers. That's why your statement might have annoyed people.

There's no law against buying as many sets as you want, but if you ever buy an old discontinued set at greater than retail value, you have to accept that you are part of the reason why.

My local stores are only getting a "few". Sounds like there's a lot of competition unless I want to camp out significantly...

They suggest buying it online for a better chance.

Online may get out of stock soon too. Or maybe even S@H crashing, like for example when sales of 41999 started.

Hmm, I'm really torn on buying this day-1. There's a Lego store 15min away from my place and I can take the day off work to get in line early.

The issue is that I plan to build this set over the holiday break period. So really, it will just sit unopened until then.

I'd like to take advantage of the double-VIP offer in October (or the to be expected November and December offerings) but I do risk this set being "sold out" until 2018...

The Lego S@H website still says "coming soon on Oct 1st" even when I'm logged in. Is that the same for everyone else? I would have thought it would say Sept. 14th when logged in as a VIP.

And this might sound weird but I think a factor that might influence immediate sales is that it coincides with the new iPhone launch. They are roughly the same price, they are both targeted at adults and I can imagine the rationale for some is "I really want the Falcon, but I need a new phone". It could be a good thing for stock availability, for those concerned if they don't get one in the inevitable initial rush.

Edited by Markalus

5 minutes ago, Markalus said:

The Lego S@H website still says "coming soon on Oct 1st" even when I'm logged in. Is that the same for everyone else? I would have thought it would say Sept. 14th when logged in as a VIP.

And this might sound weird but I think a factor that might influence immediate sales is that it coincides with the new iPhone launch. They are roughly the same price, they are both targeted at adults and I can imagine the rationale for some is "I really want the Falcon, but I need a new phone". It could be a good thing for stock availability, for those concerned if they don't get one in the inevitable initial rush.

Still says 01 Oct for me as well, but the 14 Sep is "early access" that I'm sure will probably show up on 13/14 Sep.

Not sure how phones are sold in Australia, but in Canada most people "finance" the cost of their phone over the term of their 2-3 year contract with their mobile phone provider.

1 hour ago, Markalus said:

If I remember correctly the Snowspeeder didn't say it would be available to VIPs until it was actually available to buy. Hopefully S@H actually updates the website on time this time...

Tonight is going to be a long night :wacko:

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

If I remember correctly the Snowspeeder didn't say it would be available to VIPs until it was actually available to buy. Hopefully S@H actually updates the website on time this time...

Tonight is going to be a long night :wacko:

Ok, thanks. And I hear you re a long night ahead! 

I'm hoping the best for everyone in their attempt to get the set within the next couple of days! Stay positive and remember if you don't get one on release day, you'll have many opportunities to get the set during its shelf life. Wish I could go and see the wheel cart box in person. Biggest set they have ever made, and I'm more interested in the box. Help me. :laugh:

If anyone attends the launch events, would it be appropriate to post pics here? I think I'm not the only one who'd like to see photos. Also, let us know if you're successful. Best of luck people!

Concerning the exclusive VIP card what exactly does LEGO imply with this statement:

"You'll be entitled to Star Wars themed offers, gift with purchases, and more."

Does anyone know what entitled Star Wars themed offers a cardholder would be entitled to, that say a normal VIP member would not? Also, is the gift with purchase just VIP points? This statement is incredibly confusing to me. I'm currently a VIP member, as I'm sure everyone on here is, but it sounds like only holders of the exclusive falcon card get certain promotions going forward. Is there any more news or clarification about this statement?

2 hours ago, joebiwankenobi said:

I'm hoping the best for everyone in their attempt to get the set within the next couple of days! Stay positive and remember if you don't get one on release day, you'll have many opportunities to get the set during its shelf life. Wish I could go and see the wheel cart box in person. Biggest set they have ever made, and I'm more interested in the box. Help me. :laugh:

If anyone attends the launch events, would it be appropriate to post pics here? I think I'm not the only one who'd like to see photos. Also, let us know if you're successful. Best of luck people!

Concerning the exclusive VIP card what exactly does LEGO imply with this statement:

Does anyone know what entitled Star Wars themed offers a cardholder would be entitled to, that say a normal VIP member would not? Also, is the gift with purchase just VIP points? This statement is incredibly confusing to me. I'm currently a VIP member, as I'm sure everyone on here is, but it sounds like only holders of the exclusive falcon card get certain promotions going forward. Is there any more news or clarification about this statement?

It will be in the format of additional VIP points, leftover polybags from previous promos, the odd 10% flash sale.  Don't expect any limited promo sets.  Given the challenges that Lego are going through with having to cut costs, don't expect any such special limited freebies, since these cost to develop and make.

3 hours ago, joebiwankenobi said:

I would expect certain discounts and maybe an inexpensive goody of some sort, nothing too special or big (which is fine I guess).

But the reason why this statement is so vague might be because Lego themselves dont know yet what to do with it exactly.

17 hours ago, wwwmwww said:

WOW!!! I'm a life long lego fan.  I've been collecting and playing with legos for 48 years and I was totally unaware of this animosity towards investing.  I hope neither of you have a 401K at work or have ever purchased a lego set after it was out of print for more then retail.  If you have I hope you are able to see the hypocrisy in your statements.  I have certainly purchased many lego sets for far over retail value and I've always been grateful someone had purchased it and been willing to keep it in near mint condition until I had found them.  For the record, I had no plans of scalping them.  They would have likely sat in their boxes untouched for 10 years and if the fair market value for them in that time wasn't 5X what it is today can you honestly say you wouldn't want to be in my position?  And even if Robianco got his wish... it would still be a win-win for me as I'd likely just give them as gifts to my grandkids and been a hero in their eyes.  How can you possibility say that isn't a smart investment? 

Still I'm new to these forums and if this is the way new members are welcomed for simply being honest I'm happy to go elsewhere.  And all this over a hypothetical as I had already mentioned Lego reduced their limit so I cannot buy 5 even if I wanted to.

Carl

I just think the timing of your post was off. There's plenty of people on the thread who are panicking almost at being able to pick this up. I personally think it'll be around for a while so anybody who wants one will be able to get it whether it's day one or day 101. What it doesn't need is people saying they're thinking of buying up stock to sell at a raised price before a single one is sold.

I don't care if you pick ten or twenty of them up during their time on the shelf but there's been plenty of tales of scalpers clearing carts before they've even hit shelves in places just so they can price gouge to anyone who wants one. This forum isn't about helping people do that. Once everyone who wants one gets the chance to buy one when the investors can fill their boots. Those who were sitting on 10179 Falcon's have seen their profit margin take a kicking in the last few weeks and I won't lose sleep over it. At £650 a pop these won't be having the same profit margin... in the same way that modulars don't normally hit the heights of the very first ones now that everyone is onto it. You'll have to hold onto these for quite a while to see worthwhile profit on them unless you're looking to buy up stock and take advantage of the FOMO crowd while availability is low.

That kind of thing has nothing to do with an interest in Lego and everything to do with an interest in making a profit while there is a supply and demand issue. Seriously... How would you feel if you went to order or buy one and every time it was out of stock but you could pick one up for £1300 on eBay or elsewhere. You'd start to get pretty annoyed quite quickly.

According to multiple sources Lego employees receive a 30% discount during first 90 days of employment and 50% discount after...pretty good! They can get the new MF for $400 USD.

Anyone know if their discount code or whatever they use works online?

9 hours ago, BrickG said:

Okay what time is the lego store online expected to start selling them?

The UK site is now saying "Early Access for VIPs starts from 7:30 am on 14th September" when I am logged in.

I will still be trying the website at 1 minute past midnight, just in case.

1 minute ago, Scoobaru303 said:

The UK site is now saying "Early Access for VIPs starts from 7:30 am on 14th September" when I am logged in.

I will still be trying the website at 1 minute past midnight, just in case.

If only they'll add something like that to the Aussie site so I can go to bed...