Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 75192 - UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

6 hours ago, BucketWheelExcavator said:

When I check Lego.com it says its available from 1st October even though I have a VIP account?

Same with Ninjago City. The set always said Sept 1, even though we got the early access. Log into Lego.com on the 14th and theyll have a banner ad that says its available for VIP members.

Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it. Whats a kidney worth?

1 hour ago, turk187 said:

Log into Lego.com on the 14th and theyll have a banner ad that says its available for VIP members.

Can you, or anyone for that matter, show me where Lego actually states that VIPs will get early access to the MF? Because none of the marketing materials that I've received, read, or watched actually states the MF is being provided via VIP early access.

Nevermind. I'm a blind idiot. These are not the droids you are looking for...

Edited by Daphatty

Just now, Daphatty said:

Can you, or anyone for that matter, show me where Lego actually states that VIPs will get early access to the MF? Because none of the marketing that I've received, read, or watched actually states the MF is being provided via VIP early access.

On the September Calendar it says two sets will be available for VIP purchase, although it doesn't out right say it's the Falcon, it's the most logical assumption that one of them is.

Just now, Daphatty said:

Can you, or anyone for that matter, show me where Lego actually states that VIPs will get early access to the MF? Because none of the marketing that I've received, read, or watched actually states the MF is being provided via VIP early access.

Cant help you there, just going with the flow. But, they were right about Ninjago City. None of the marketing said August 16th, I asked about it and everyone just seemed to be estimating based on experience. But, someone in this thread mentioned asking about it in store and being told the 14th.

I got a handout at the Lego store on the Millennium Falcon and on the back it says "VIPs can buy the set 16 days before anyone else!"

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Lol.....Not sure if I wronged you in another life or something but if so I am sorry!  Word choice here is certainly being scrutinized like I did.  :sceptic: Truly did not know a dissertation of all my thoughts was needed to state a personal opinion.  But to everyone.....if I "neglected" to mention that I also would  love to build this set, and if I were to purchase it would certainly do so for that reason, then here it is: 

I buy sets for many reasons, among them, to build them. (that sounds absolutely ludicrous that I have to state that *huh**huh* )  

PM sent.....lets not bog down the post with any more of our business.  I wont respond anymore to all the above.  Focus should remain on the set and comments pertaining to it.  As mentioned, excited to hear others opinions of it.... 1 OCT is not too far away!

I'll apologise now, my intention isn't to scrutinise and tear apart everything in your comment, working where I am dulls me to any kind of tactfulness or empathy in my responses... 

For me, my money will be happily spent enjoying the build, the obtaining it at the shop itself with the wheely cart (yeah, simple things :laugh:) and just having a really nice Lego model for display and tinkering with. Ymmv :sweet:

Starting to be really torn on this set.

PRO:  Just look at the thing!

CON:  Outrageous price (Could get Ninjago City, Destiny's Bounty, the old Falcon, and whatever the new Modular will be for the price of this thing)

Relatively small amount of minifigures

Will take up a lot of space

Flippin' stickers (seriously, are they kidding me?!)

Still debating internally.  Regardless, this will have to wait for tax rebate time.

Well, to be fair the last time I checked Amazon and ebay, the old Falcon was going for much more than that.. and if you are comparing the RRP of the old Falcon at release, you have to consider 10 years of inflation. I know my salary was $12,000 less than what I'm on now 8 years ago when I was promoted, and although my current job responsibilities have increased in the last two or so years, technically my job description hasn't changed, nor has my contract been altered.. (just to compare apples with apples, as it wouldn't be fair to compare my pay rate with 10 years ago)

I was expecting it to be expensive - but not AU$1300! Still it looks like a fantastic set. Much more detailed than the original version and I love the inclusion of the interior. The new Bespin Han and Hoth Leia figures look great too! Hopefully both will be released in more affordable sets one day even if they keep the respirator faces exclusive to the Falcon.

Tempting, but come on... 800€!

And it's too big. As far as I'm concerned, the most impressive models are the ones that are as small as possible while being the right scale.

Maybe I should just mod my girlfriend's 75105 instead. By the way, I'll have to prevent her to get the new Falcon, not the other way around. Jealous, huh? :laugh:

Anyway, modding would be expensive but it would still be much less than 800€. My biggest issue with 75105 is the size of the mandibles.

Cool!

It does look like an improvement, but me personally I don't think it is a large improvement.

I do own the 10179, and there are perhaps 3 flaws that I would like improved.
1. The underside
2. No Interior
3. The armor plating on the top side hangs loosely (an aesthetic solution but not a structural one that irks me a little).

The new version's big improvements seem to be some better contouring in a couple of spots, more greebling, and the interiors. But I would not have said that greebling or contouring on the 10179 was ever really deficient.

The part count to me is a bit of a mixed bag, one one hand it has brag factor and I haven't checked the ppp but maybe it is really good?? But on the other hand to achieve a similar looking model as t the 10179 it uses a whooping 45% more parts and costs significantly more due to this. The two sets appear to have the same dimensions... I guess the interior may account for a very big portion of the additional parts.

That said I do like that it now has interiors, and I really like the forced perspective hall effect (as a compromise to having the actual halls...).
Oh and I also quite like the minifig assortment, it's good that they have both the classic and the new versions (I'm a classic fan)

Sadly I can't justify the huge cost of this set or the display space. If I didn't already own the 10179, then I would probably get this. But $1500 NZD is massive (I can't quite remember but I imported the old one for $1100 landed just after it went out of print).

The one thing that does tempt me to say yolo (or is that yolt? given I've already built a UCS falcon) is that the 10179 was a great build, I spent a month or two after work putting that thing together, and I'm sure this new one will have a great build experience and satisfaction factor too.

So grats to those who didn't manage to grab the original and can afford the hefty price point... now I will wait and hope for a new Star Destroyer :classic:

That's a lot of money for a lot of grey pieces. I look at it like this - I could buy 2 Ninjago cities, have $200 in my back pocket, and have 9,800 (versus 7,500) much more interesting/colored parts. (One model for display, one for parts pack) If one looks at it from a pure PPP ratio, this is not a great deal. Just because it says "Star Wars" on it does not mean I should pay a ridiculous premium for licencing.

Aesthetical, IMO, the MF is just an ugly ship, compared to the rest of SW vehicles. The B-wing might be a bunch of grey pieces too, but it's a more interesting design.

This is also too massive to display, unless one has a dedicated Lego room. It's 2 feet wide and 3 feet long. I don't, and that reason alone makes this an easy decision.

Edited by romulan

12 hours ago, kiwiatlarge said:

Well, to be fair the last time I checked Amazon and ebay, the old Falcon was going for much more than that.. and if you are comparing the RRP of the old Falcon at release, you have to consider 10 years of inflation. I know my salary was $12,000 less than what I'm on now 8 years ago when I was promoted, and although my current job responsibilities have increased in the last two or so years, technically my job description hasn't changed, nor has my contract been altered.. (just to compare apples with apples, as it wouldn't be fair to compare my pay rate with 10 years ago)

I should have been clearer.  I meant the Force Awakens Falcon.

And for those hopped up on the interior, it appears that there are only three small interior spaces, including the cockpit.

21 hours ago, Tariq j said:

On the September Calendar it says two sets will be available for VIP purchase, although it doesn't out right say it's the Falcon, it's the most logical assumption that one of them is.

What is the point when anybody can just sign up for free?

2 hours ago, romulan said:

I changed my mind. I saw this beast at the Lego store in San Jose, and I must have it

https://ibb.co/e9ntgv

https://ibb.co/evhXrv

https://ibb.co/cFUqda

Interestingly, the employee said that Lego shipped it to them prebuilt.

That's what the guy said at the store I visited too.  Must cost a lot to ship competed falcons to all the Lego stores!!!

Noticed that someone was having fun with yours (its got both sensor dishes mounted and the TFA bit on the nose are tilted up).

11 hours ago, romulan said:

This is also too massive to display, unless one has a dedicated Lego room. It's 2 feet wide and 3 feet long. I don't, and that reason alone makes this an easy decision.

No shit, I've literally spend the past little while looking for a suitable glass top coffee table, and then I realised I don't actually have a good spot to put the said glass coffee table. :wacko:

Right now, there's three primary reasons holding me back from purchasing on day-1:

1) There's no special release promo or first edition;

2) I have no idea where I would display it. I haven't built my Sydney Opera House for the same reason. Luckily I have been able to find a place for my SSD; and

3) I have a huge backlog of sets to built...three of which are SW UCS.

Just now, eliminator said:

Right now, there's three primary reasons holding me back from purchasing on day-1:

1) There's no special release promo or first edition;

2) I have no idea where I would display it. I haven't built my Sydney Opera House for the same reason. Luckily I have been able to find a place for my SSD; and

3) I have a huge backlog of sets to built...three of which are SW UCS.

Its 3 reasons for me as well:

1) The price is as huge as the set.

2) Same as you, got no idea where I could have the room to display it.

3) I already got a Falcon.

But oh well, these probably wont stop me from buying the thing anyway...

So the S@H VIP early access will be at 00:00 am on september 14th (if the servers don't crash :P) ? Just wondering how many units will be available...

Is this set a limited production run? I'm around £200 short right now for launch , I take it I'll have a few more months to save up, this set is fairly expensive, so I'm going to have to save up my lego budget to get this one.... How long will the set be on sale for , does anyone know?

Knowing my luck I'll get saved up, and then can't find one in stock.